Sign in to follow this  
Kodiak

airbrush compressors

I've noticed that the airbrushes use fairly low powered compressors.

Would I be able to use an existing compressor without having to buy another unit? Mine is a 4.5 gallon 200 PSI.

Thanks

YOURS SHOULD HAVE A VALVE ON IT THAT WILL

LET YOU TO CONTROL THE P S I. OR YOU COULD GET ONE AND INSTALL

IT YOURSELF. I DO KNOW THEY ARE FOR SALE AT HARBOR FREIGHT.

The compressor I use with my air brush is just an ordinary 3-gallon, 125psi model I bought at Sears. As long as it has a regulator to control the hose pressure, it will work just fine. Also you may want to get a moisture filter, which you can get just about anywhere you can buy a compressor. If water gets in the line, it could cause some problems with your air brush.

I think the main advantage of buying a compressor that is "designed" to be used with an air brush is that it would run much more quietly.

Kate

Not all airbrush compressors run quietly. Most any compressor will power an airbrush since the operating pressures are so low (usually less than 30psi and often less than 20psi).

Large compressors can run an airbrush for a while before they need to recharge the tank, so the noise is not constant. Also, larger compressors with large tanks can be plumbed remotely, if you have the space.

One suggestion is to place the pressure regulator as close to the airbrush as is practical for the greatest control. I have mine at the union between the airbrush hose and the compressor line (on larger spray guns I place the regulator right on the inlet for the gun). This helps to ensure that the pressure at the airbrush is what you set and allows for pressure loss is the line between the compressor and the tool.

If you choose to use a moisture trap, it will be most effective if placed far enough down-line from the compressor to allow any moisture in the line to cool and condense.

I hope this helps.

Edited by fortysomething