Sign in to follow this  
ClayB

little notebooks

Here are a bunch of little notebooks that my wife and I finished up today. She got a bunch of orders for these from people at her work for Christmas presents.

The leaves on a bunch of these were pressed in from dried leaves, or even silk flowers. I found out on a different one that didn't fit through her machine that you can press the leaves in the leather with a rolling pin if the leather is cased right.

notebooks_002__Large_.jpg

notebooks_003__Large_.jpg

notebooks_004__Large_.jpg

notebooks_005__Large_.jpg

notebooks_006__Large_.jpg

notebooks_007__Large_.jpg

notebooks_014__Large_.jpg

notebooks_015__Large_.jpg

post-12-1197783661_thumb.jpg

post-12-1197783677_thumb.jpg

post-12-1197783701_thumb.jpg

post-12-1197783722_thumb.jpg

post-12-1197783742_thumb.jpg

post-12-1197783920_thumb.jpg

post-12-1197783946_thumb.jpg

post-12-1197783962_thumb.jpg

really nice clay!

i will have to try that some time. it amazes me how much detail ends up in the leather from the leaves

Those are really nice man. Glad to see she's still at it. I really like dreams and the one below it, ALOT .

Clay,

Those are really unique and besides i like them ALL also! :thumbsup: What's the secret for the florals and lettering, etc? :scratchhead:

Indy

ClayB & Mrs ClayB,

As everyone said, very nice. Is that antique only or did you do anything else? Looks like the color I get with the new med brown gel.

Clay,

What kind of machine are you using (and please don't say a rolling pin)?

Very neat idea!

-- Mike

Thanks everyone for the comments.

The machine Stacy used to press the leaves into the leather is called a Cuttlebug. You can see it here http://www.provocraft.com/products/index.p...hp?cl=cuttlebug

She got it to use for scrapbooking but has been finding uses for it with these leather notebooks. We did one other cover that was too wide for the machine so I set the leather on my marble block, set the branch with dried leaves on top of that, covered it with a piece of plexiglass type plastic, and then pressed the leaves into the leather by rolling a rolling pin over the plexiglass. It worked surprisingly well. I was really surprised how much detail from the leaves transfers into the leather, and was even more surprised how antique brings out the detail. Most of the darker coloring was done with Fiebings dark brown paste antique. On the lighter ones, either light brown or tan antique was used. On some of the really light colored ones, I just oiled them and then finished them with a coat of neat lac. I usually finish over antique with tan coat. After that, Stacy played with several things trying to get different effects. I am not sure what all she did, but I know she used some eco flow dyes on the outer edges of some of them to give them some contrast. I think she tried inks from some of her rubber stamping supplies also. The letters and some of the swirly things are also rubber stamped on. Then the last two notebooks were done differently (the ones without the leaves, seeds, or grass). She ran the leather through the machine with either circles or flowere shapes to get impressions in the leather. On the circles, we then used a background tool to get texture. Then she cut out the leather shapes with some cutting dies for the machine. I dont think it cut all the way through the leather and she had to finish up with a scissor. Then the shapes were attached with brads or rivets. It's kind of fun to see how all her rubber stamping and scrap booking supplies can be used on leather.

Hope this answers most of your questions.

Clay

Wow, those are beautiful... very original - you two are a great team!

Kate

Wonderful work! Thank you so much for sharing, it was inspiring.

Oh, wauw, I really, really like that!! It's beautifull!

Thanks for sharing how to do it.. uhm.. I think of so many uses for that cuttlebug now!

Very inspiring.

Where did you get the binding? This gives me some ideas for next Christmas or Wedding gifts. Nice really nice.

The bindings were done with another machine called a Bind It All. You can see them here

http://www.binditall.com/

It just goes to show you that there is no WAY to do something. Someone will always find a new twist! Great job Clay those are very unique and interesting.

Did you have trouble cutting the leather with the Cuttlebug? I am intrested in purchasing one but would like to know how well it does work with the leather. Thanks

The Cuttlebug worked well to put impressions in leather, but didn' t cut it well. We tried some pretty thin leahter, and it left a deep impression when we tried cutting shapes with it, but still had to finish the cut with a knife or scissor. The ohter thing is it will only take a piece about 5 inches wide so you are limited in what you can do with it. It's a neat tool, but you should be aware of it's limitations before you buy one.

You could still make a small cover for a cookbook or photo album with it. I see alot of things that can be done with it. My next question is how strudy is it? Do you think it will break after a few times or do you think it will last for awhile.

Thanks

My wife uses hers a lot and it seems to be well built and sturdy. I dont think that is a problem. I also think it could have a lot of uses. I just wanted you to be aware of some of it's limitations.

Those things are NICE. What happens when the paper is all gone? Is it refillable?

Hi Kevin,

I asked that question to my wife and she said you write things in them you want to keep forever, like a journal. Or put pictures in them, or things like that, not use them for grocery lists etc. You could put new pages in them, but to do that you would have to cut off the binding and do it over.

Glad you liked them.

Another fabulous idea clay, mind if I pinch it a bit, i have a mate just doing an art course, i got him some stuff for chrimbo but the cover to his sketch book is paper..... I intend to change the design a bit and make a pouch on the back for changing the pad (stiff card can be inserted) as I don't have a spiral binder machine handy and he goes through sketch pads like they are going out of style.

i will use one sheet of medium thin 2mm veg tan leather with two side flaps and base cover over....

I can't really explain it but it kinda looks like an inverted cross with stubby arms and a pointy bottom, with the pouch being in the middle of the cross point. Or maybe straps and corners.

What to do about fastenings........hmmm

Thanks clayb and wife, inspiration is the greatest gift anyone can be given. Thanks.

Pip

Hi Pip,

Your idea sounds great. I hope you share pictures of your cover when you are finished. I have plans to try something like that too, where you could change out the notebook when it is full. So many ideas, so little time.

Clay,

Nice work! I could see those hanging on a hook at Target, but not for long. Really sah-wheet!

Brent