Sign in to follow this  
esantoro

gummy type glaze on the edges

I've noticed that some high-end biefcases/handbags have a gummy type glaze on the edges, especially edges that contain layers of thin leather. It's also used quite frequently on chrometanned edges.

Do any of you know what this is called and where it can be purchased? Is it simply edge kote?

Thanks,

Ed

Gum Tragacanth?

Johanna

Gum Tragacanth?

Johanna

I think it's actually something else. I use the gum tragacanth. This is actually some kind of dyed gummy, flexible finish I've seen used on edges of softer leathers. Is Edge Kote flexible?

By the way, is it just as effective to use saliva as it is to use gum tragacanth?

Thanks,

ed

No, Gum trag is great on slicked edges, like belts. Plain water and a burnish (I like scrap deerskin or denim, or an edge slicker)) is sufficient on veggie tanned leather. Someone else may know about finishing edges with chrome tans (garment weight?) I usually see those edges hidden in the construction, and can't think of how you would glue them and not look messy.

Johanna

I'm laughing at the saliva comment - because I thought I was the only one who'd done this! It does work, and well...Usually I just wet the edges with water, and I've never used Gum T. at all.

Ed,

Yes and no. Sometimes I use spit, but run out on a big project. I kind of like gum trag but always had issues applying it to big pieces. If I use a sponge I can get a good 3-6", and then have to reapply to the sponge. That old "apply with your finger to the edge" advice - even less coverage. I finally hit on using another item I had sitting. I had one of the Heritage II dye boxes from Weaver that I got a deal on. There are some design issues with it for dyeing, but it makes a dandy application system for the gum trag. Constant flow of the proper amount of gum trag, no cleanup, I just cap it and leave it full.

I know the finish you are referring to. It is an acrylic based edge finish. Similar to the edge coat the Fiebings makes. I have heard of mixing dye pigments into neutral acrylic finishes and using that. Haven't tried it though, I am either a basic black or no dye edge guy.

Bruce Johnson

Ed,

Yes and no. Sometimes I use spit, but run out on a big project. I kind of like gum trag but always had issues applying it to big pieces. If I use a sponge I can get a good 3-6", and then have to reapply to the sponge. That old "apply with your finger to the edge" advice - even less coverage. I finally hit on using another item I had sitting. I had one of the Heritage II dye boxes from Weaver that I got a deal on. There are some design issues with it for dyeing, but it makes a dandy application system for the gum trag. Constant flow of the proper amount of gum trag, no cleanup, I just cap it and leave it full.

I know the finish you are referring to. It is an acrylic based edge finish. Similar to the edge coat the Fiebings makes. I have heard of mixing dye pigments into neutral acrylic finishes and using that. Haven't tried it though, I am either a basic black or no dye edge guy.

Bruce Johnson

So, then, would I be able to use the Fiebings Edge Kote, or is that only for traditionally burned edges?

I bought a wonderful soft briefcase on Ebay cheap to see how the handle was constructed, wonderful design. Now I need to stictch it back together and reapply the light brown flexible edge coating.

Thanks,

Ed

Ed,

In my experience EdgeCoat works better on edges that aren't real slick. It is basically a paint, and sticks to a slightly rough surface better than a slicked one. A friend used to do a lot of craftshows, and he never did anything to the edges but apply edge coat. Never rubbed the first one. He applied it with a sponge brush and wiped it the spill over off the top and bottom with a clean damp sponge. When the edge was almost dry, he took a damp sponge down the edge the "slick" it down. He used it on chrome tanned edges and latigo dog collars as well. He was the one who used an acrylic finish (Future floor wax) mixed with dye pigments. Not sure where he was getting his pigments.

Bruce Johnson

Ed,

Fiebings Edge Kote in a brown color might work for what you're doing, but it's definitely not the rubbery edge coating that you see on commercial products, like handbags. It goes on thicker than dye and is easy to slick, but dries to become a hard, slick edge, not a gummy, soft one. It's also a much better product for vegtan than chromed leathers, in my experience.

Maybe Bill's suggestion is the right one for exactly replicating the commercial look. If you end up finding this kind of edge coating, please let us know here, as I suspect others might be interested in it.

-Alex

p.s. Edge Kote is flexible. I use it on wallet backs and wristbands with no problems.

Sonthing I have done on a beer coaster is covered the bottom of the coaster with Gun T... I mean I covered it... thick.. several layers, then I covered it with black edge kote, several layers while the lower layer was tacky... the final result is a thickish rubbery coating that allos me to place it on a wet bar and not worry about it soaking up the moisture and getting ruined....