Hilly

Who sells a good head knife?

The CSO #70 Round knife from Siegel of California is made from 1070 steel, medium priced steel with .70 carbon that will harden nicely and be an easy blade to sharpen. Siegel sells this knife for $55.38 but has had it on sale for a while at $38.95. This is less than I paid for it from them 10 years ago. Buy it now and buy some leather to cut with it and make sure the total is over $70 so you get free shipping, or for that price buy two.

Good luck getting ANY osborne tools from Siegel! After 2 months of excuses I got mine from Zach White in less then a week!

Not my experience by a long shot. Maybe it is the way you handle them. I needed a couple of weird sizes of a particular punch, it wasn't a lot of money but it was something most places didn't stock. I told them I was having a helluva time finding these things, and they said they would try. Two days later the punches are on my doorstep drop shipped from New Jersey. It seems they try pretty hard. It's not supposed to be an adviserial experience, we are all supposed to be pulling on the same rope here.

Art

Good luck getting ANY osborne tools from Siegel! After 2 months of excuses I got mine from Zach White in less then a week!

I've only ordered from Siegel a few times, but my experience is that they're very helpful once you get them on the phone - including checking stock on the spot. Their site doesn't give in-stock status and you can't count on their specials being in stock by the time you order, either. In the case of the TL70 knife, I tried ordering it a few times before figuring out I needed to call them to see if it was in stock (it wasn't). From what I gather, they were pretty much flooded with orders from their year-end special and sold out of a lot of tools. While they've restocked some since then, I'm guessing they're still not stocked back up completely. I wasn't going to pay Tandy's price for this knife, so I bought the smaller TL71 from Siegel instead, which was in stock.

As I see it, their ordering, inventory management systems, and website need some attention. I've had problems trying to use their online ordering, and, once again, it really needs to indicate what their stocking status is. I understand that this could be pretty expensive for a small business, though.

When I was getting started, I tried placing a very large tool order multiple times, only to have the shopping cart automatically empty out on me for some reason - presumably some sort of timeout. Siegel's personal customer service responsiveness, on the other hand, is truly excellent. So, as long as you call to order and make sure you confirm what is actually available, no problem.

Bill

Art, and many others. I took your advice and got some Bill Bachman Knives. They came in the mail a couple days ago.

The three I got are on the left side of the picture, the two on the right is what I been using for many years now. They are custom made also by R Jolley, they been great knives too.

The BB knives do come sharpened, nice tools.... :red_bandana:

bobk1__Medium_.jpg

post-5-1204418366_thumb.jpg

Edited by Johanna

Bob, You can tell the Buchman knives by the "no nonsense" handles. Simple black walnut. I am sure that you will get to love the Buchman knives like you have loved the Jo;;eys. Carlb

PS BTW, I just ordered one from Bill and it noted that it might take three months. It will be a copy of the Verlane small knife. I am more than willing to wait.

Bob, You can tell the Buchman knives by the "no nonsense" handles. Simple black walnut. I am sure that you will get to love the Buchman knives like you have loved the Jo;;eys. Carlb

PS BTW, I just ordered one from Bill and it noted that it might take three months. It will be a copy of the Verlane small knife. I am more than willing to wait.

Consider yourself lucky, he said he's not taking new customers and won't make any for me. I got these from Big sky dies. Paid 385 for 3 knives... including shipping. I just love the handles, yes they're really nice stuff. These are a bit rough on the finishing though, but they don't cut with the handles anyway...

Okay, I read a few threads here and there, and decided to order one from Tandy. I'm getting the Stohlman head knife- should be here by Monday.

Once you learn how to sharpen a head knife, and then to use it, (cutting with dull head knives is the easiest way to loose body parts!), you wonder why you ever used anything else to cut leather. I feel rather inadiquate because I only have two head knives. One don't have no name, and the other is a Stohlman that I got in a trade. Neither one came sharp enough to do much with, but they cut as good as anything if you learn how to keep 'em sharp.

Will

I ordered a head knife a while back from Montana Leather, and it was on backorder, so I've decided to look elsewhere. I understand that some head knives do not come sharpened. I want one that DOES come sharp from the box. I figure it's the best way to see what a properly sharpened head knife should feel like.... Anyway, does anyone know where I can get a decent quality head knife without taking out a second mortgage? I feel that anything over say.... $125 would be paying waaaaaay too much, cuz I'm che - I mean thrifty. Also, are skiving knives the same way? Do some come sharp and others don't, because I'm sorta looking for one of those, too.

Thanks,

Hilly

Hackbarth tools has a great head knife. Its made of D2 which is high carbon,high crome. I believe its $95.00

Hilly - did you ever get anything?

I finally called Duey Peters. He's making me one. Probably be a month before I see it. He is very busy! Can't wait...

Brent

I just bought a Osborne #70 knife from ST Leather today for $29.95. The have some great prices on tools and leather. www.stleather.com

John

Hello I am a new member I Have repaired Tack and Blankets for my SFO who was a trainer I have repaired shoeing chaps as well I will be getting a machine soon I looked at a Aerostitch today kind of wierd looking but what do I know :) I used to have a singer 7-33 but that was a beast! and just keeping my fingers intact was as delicate as I could get <laugh>

SO MY post I am a Blacksmith and a Farrier instructor so I just happened on this link and see their might be a market for some knives I can make them out of 1085 5160 or I think from what I have seen I could make them out of L6 - whuich is a flexable if somewhat hard to sharpen steel holds an edge and I can make them thin so ......

if anyone has a need we should talk.

Mostly I make Damascus but that would be over kill for a work knife. and knife sheaths is on my agenda I tried to show an example but i did it twice-oops!

Thanks

CTP

IMG_1554.jpg

IMG_1554.jpg

post-6235-1206252353_thumb.jpg

post-6235-1206252474_thumb.jpg

Edited by CTP

Hilly - did you ever get anything?

I finally called Duey Peters. He's making me one. Probably be a month before I see it. He is very busy! Can't wait...

Brent

Yeah, I got the AS head knife from Tandy. Clay M. touched up the blade right out of the box so it was super-duper sharp when I got it. I loved it to death till I used it so much it got dull. Now I'm trying to master sharpening. I got it a lot sharper than it was, but still not exactly the way wicked sharp should be...

Okay, I read a few threads here and there, and decided to order one from Tandy. I'm getting the Stohlman head knife- should be here by Monday.

I believe those are made of stainless steel. Stainless steel does not hold an edge. Stainless is not good for knife making. Great for alot of things but not knife making.

-Troy

I have a couple of old W. Rose round knives. It's scary how sharp you can get them but I haven't heard anybody talk about them. Are there many of those knives out there and what do you think of them?

I have a couple of old W. Rose round knives. It's scary how sharp you can get them but I haven't heard anybody talk about them. Are there many of those knives out there and what do you think of them?

[/quot

They are as good a knife as was ever made. I use 2 of them daily in my shop and gave a third to a freind of mine after his shop burnt down. When you find one with lots of blade remaining be prepared to dish out for it. I have seen then go for over 300 apiece before. Greg

Im answering this because TOOLS are a hobby of mine and more a passion than the actual leather work , theres nothing like holding a fine well made properly sharpened tool in your hand, it truly makes your work look better and you yourself will feel better as you feel it glide through the leather , in saying that ellis barnes is the greatest tool maker leather work has ever seen , a close second is bob douglas of sheridan wy,307-737-2222 call bob and tell him what your looking for ,..im sure he can help you

I actually gave mine away because I can do a much better job with a draw knife.

David Theobald

I believe those are made of stainless steel. Stainless steel does not hold an edge. Stainless is not good for knife making. Great for alot of things but not knife making.

Depends what you mean by "not good"...? Edge holding on *decent* high carbon, properly heat treated stainless is phenomenal; edge holding on marine-grade stainless is non-existant.

Personally, I enjoy making (and using) blades made with non-stainless steels; they're frequently easier to sharpen in the grades I like.

As for head knives, I've got a few these days - even a cheap one, properly sharpened, is miles better to use than a Stanley knife/box cutter/Exacto. I only switched to using them a couple of years ago, and I wouldn't go back - I can cut small areas, long dead-straight cuts, skive... All without picking up another tool. Just so long as the thing is razor sharp - and is kept in a suitable sheath for safety!

If anyone wants really sharp, high quality knives, enter Bill Buchman Knives on Google. Call Bill and tell him what you want. He should either have it or he can make it! His knives can't be beat!!

I got one from a forum member here and really like it. The thing holds a good edge on it.

I started with a al stohlman brand from tandy when they had them on sale for like $25. It is what it is. I have gotten a good sharp edge on it and it holds it for a little while it just doesnt last long thats for sure. The W.rose knife Ive got last way longer as far as the edge goes.

Heres my al stohlman, has a nice shape for finer cutting but doesnt hold a edge worth a darn. Works really good for a little bit.

The rose knife I gotta finish polishing but it has a very nice edge on it. This shape blade isnt so great for tiny work but fine for everything else. Stays very sharp for a long time. The handle is just oak. I glued two pieces together and painted it with vinegaroon. The size and shape of the handle is great for me as I have large hands. Makes it really easy to handle the knife.

The sheaths I made so that I could hange them as pictured. Works pretty darn good.

hanging_knives.JPG

knives_round_style_.JPG

sheaths.JPG

post-5781-1245633864_thumb.jpg

post-5781-1245633873_thumb.jpg

post-5781-1245633880_thumb.jpg

I just made this one up last week, selling it on ebay. I make head knifes and tooling mauls too.

post-9496-036584100 1283088503_thumb.jpg

post-9496-096683800 1283088525_thumb.jpg

Edited by ecklund

I just made this one up last week, selling it on ebay. I make head knifes and tooling mauls too.

Looks like you do a great job. What are you selling these for? Whats the details on the head knife?

Looks like you do a great job. What are you selling these for? Whats the details on the head knife?

The last 2 head knives sold on ebay for 30.00 plus 4.85 shipping. I will be listing 2 more this week plus a custom design that I made up. I use discarded saw blades for my knives and reheat them for hardness. I use them in my own leather work and they work very well. The handles are oak wood and put on a special way as to eliminate the need for bolster and rivets. I'm also making up a smaller version head knive that I will be listing soon. The tooling mauls are also made of oak with a pvc insert. They also sold for around 30.00 on ebay.