Sign in to follow this  
Oscar B

bible

Very nice, Oscar. I like the wood effect on the bible. It doesn't look like the traditional swivel knife cuts...how did you do that? My compliments on the coloring of both pieces, too.

Johanna

The wood grain was done with a plastic bevel blade in a swivel knife. This makes short work as it is pushed or pulled in a grain patten. Thanks

Here is a discussion about one or search for delrin..

Delrin tip on Swivel knife

I've never heard of a plastic bevel blade, would you explain more please? I agree with Johanna about the wood grain effect.

Thanks ever one. The plastic bevel blade could be made out of nylon, delrin. I am not sure on this. They were sometimes call quick beveler, speed beveler, ect. I get mine at http://www.springfieldleather.com/catalog/

These are great people to work with and have just about anything you could want.

It sounds like Regis has one by the description in what is this tool.

I am a tactile person so the feel of the work takes first place, and this gave me the best choice for wood grain.

oscarb__Medium_.jpg

post-5-1197929657_thumb.jpg

B)-->And, I use it a lot now too. It helps me smooth out my beveling and where light beveling is proper, it is easier for me to do (without going tooo deep). You can feel your way along very nicely. If I press too hard, I do end up burnishing where I don't want to though.

Oscar, what did you use for the wood color?

Regis

Colors on Bible was black, dark brown, med brown diluted down, and buckskin diluted down as a light mist over all coat.

The notebook was light red mist on edges, dark brown, med brown diluted down, and light mist of yellow diluted down over coat, or blend coat what ever you may want to call it.