Sign in to follow this  
Justis Cases

2 well known artist work

The photos below shows 2 well known artist work. Do you have a preference and if so can you explain what you like and don't like.

Comparison.jpg

post-644-1174445081_thumb.jpg

Jack, I made the picture a little larger for everyone's convenience. Good topic!

Johanna

Comparison.jpg

post-5-1174445407_thumb.jpg

The photos below shows 2 well known artist work. Do you have a preference and if so can you explain what you like and don't like.

Hey guys and gals,

Doesn't anyone out there have any opinions on the photos that were submitted? You certainly don't have to be an expert to voice your personal opinion. I only received a couple comments via private message but in my opinion should have been posted for everyone to see.

Hey guys and gals,

Doesn't anyone out there have any opinions on the photos that were submitted? You certainly don't have to be an expert to voice your personal opinion. I only received a couple comments via private message but in my opinion should have been posted for everyone to see.

Well, I like the stem work and background shading on the one on the right. The one on the left has more/better detail in the petals and I like the more random seeds. I really like those cuts in the petals (on the left).

Of course, that is from my un-trained eye and actually, I'm envious of both and wish I could come somewhere close.

Regis

Edited by Regis

I like the one on the left better. The one on the right is beautiful too, but there are just a variety of small things (like the seeding which Regis mentioned) that make the left hand one my preference.

Jack,

Sometimes without knowing the intended market or price paid for something, it is hard to critique work. Obviously these were not done by Jim Jackson, Don Butler, or Cary Schwarz, but then again these guys probably are not getting $200 as a base for this kind of carving either. The devil and dollars are in the details.

I am going to call these close, almost a tie. It looks like the one on the right has had some kind of antiquing or highlighting done. This skews things a bit.

Left side first. I don't particularly care for the random seeding around the flower center. I think it makes the flower center look "ragged". I like the decorative cuts on the petals, they appear to be going towards a focal point. The are bold and then fade well. I like the selective use of the cam on sections of the stemwork. I think the stickers tend to flow into the stems a little cleaner on the left. The mulefoot use follows the flow of the stem. Looks like good use of the undershots on the left. Overall carving depth looks deeper. The beadline border looks cleaner on the left.

Right side. I prefer this flower center, makes a smoother look to my eye. The flower decorative cuts don't really come to a focal point, the are almost parallel in areas. They have no "dimension", they are the same depth start to finish. I think the cam use all the way around the stem looks overdone. In my mind there is no crime in having some untextured space in a carving. The mule footing on the top right and lower left don't follow the flow of the stem. The beveling around the flower is more distinct, but this may be a factor of the antiquing? I like the decorative cuts on the stickers better than the left.

All in all, I see these two works as being on a par. Just little individual style things that some people like or don't. I don't think one is clearly better than the other, although if these two carvers got together and borrowed from each other, this would be pretty good.

Bruce Johnson

Hi Jack,

They are comparable, however to be fair they should both be antiqued or not. The flower center on the left doesn't thrill me. The right one definately establishes the center of the work and the overall symmetry. The overall handling of the scrolls blend together better on the left, whereas the one on the right is very pronounced in handling that, too much definition where you don't want to see it like the ends of scrolls or where they overlap something. The accent cuts on the left are more natural and actually prograss toward the center whereas on the right they are not leading to where they should, i.e. they don't go anywhere.

I like the one on the left better but would opt for a little different center.

The points above are artistic critique and not technical.

Art

Bruce, Art,

Thank you both for the insight into analyzing a carving. That kind of detail will definately help me improve my details. It was obvious to me that the petals on the left were carved better because they had more form but, I could not articulate "why". Thanks for the education, especially on a peice that hasn't be painted a lot.

Regis

I didn't want to color anyone's opinion, so I responded to Jack by PM:

My "inexperienced" eye preferred the one on the left because it doesn't have the notches all over the scrolls, and the swivel knife decorative cuts are natural and freehand. The center of the flower on the right looks awkward with its perfect circle, while the one on the left has a more realistic appearance with its stack of seeder taps. Both artists got the depth of their carving to show, and raised the flower petals well. If I had to guess, I'd say the one on the left is an original, and the one on the right is someone's attempt to improve it. But then, my opinion and $2 might buy a cup of coffee. I'll let the experts say their piece and learn from them.

Johanna

I didn't want to color anyone's opinion, so I responded to Jack by PM:

Johanna

Hi Johanna,

Thanks for posting your comments.....if I were you, I wouldn't worry to much about "the experts" since they rarely agree on anything. Some prefer puddin, some perfer ice cream and you'll never change their opinions. Experts usually do not buy my cases....my customers are the ones that see what they like an makes the decision to buy on the spot. Its interesting to see so many different opinions though and I will say it will have no affect whatsoever on who I choose to do the Sheridan style carving on my cases. There are a lot of excellent carvers and like someone said earlier....its boils down to whether I can afford them or not.

Keep the comments coming....I am sitting up and taking notes! :)

I like the one on the left. Where the stems flow under the top is raised up. As I am a tactile person this appeals to me. There are a few spots where it is not backgrounded. I like the unconventional flower center, as in nature not all thing are symmetrical.