bcj

coats bonded poly thread

After seeing the other posts about the coats bonded poly thread, I thought I might try it. The only thread I have ever used with the boss is the bonded nylon that they sell. I was told that it is pre lubricated with silicone. Is the coats bonded poly thread that ferdco sells pre-lubed? My boss does not have any kind of lube pot. Also what is the purpose of using a smaller thread on the bottom? I make holsters using #277 on the top and bottom. Would #207 be better to use on the bottom? Thanks for any advise you could give me.

bcj,

The thread from Ferdco (actually it is made by Coats) is bonded and lubed. On a machine there is a lot of friction heat built up on the needle from going through the leather. The heat can be enough to partially melt or at least get the thread "sticky". The thread then sticks to the needle, and doesn't loop underneath, and skips a stitch. The Boss doesn't build up that kind of speed or heat to stick a thread, so that is why they generally aren't used with a lube pot. Some guys run lubepots on their heavy single needle machines, and some don't. I do.

I have been told (and read in several catalogs and websites) that the smaller thread in the bobbin will allow the stitch to pull up tighter. Cambell-Randall, Ferdco, Weaver all say that. That said, I have run the same at times, and not seen a noticable difference.

Bruce Johnson

The only reason I switched from Rice Nylon to Coats poly is because supply on the Rice thread was getting unreliable. If the rice was still available, I would not be using Coats poly, but then again if I started using Coats poly, I'd still be using it. I can see no difference between the two really. Both great threads. The only time I use different thread is when I want a look that thread provides (less twist like Eddington). I run 346/277 and have run 277/277 in the Artisan 4000P, 138/138 and 138/92 in the Artisan 618, and 277/277 or 207/207 in the #9. Doesn't seem to make a lot of difference in the stitch which thread is which in top and bobbin, you might have to adjust the tension a bit, but that is it. Bobbins do last longer with smaller thread.

Art

After seeing the other posts about the coats bonded poly thread, I thought I might try it. The only thread I have ever used with the boss is the bonded nylon that they sell. I was told that it is pre lubricated with silicone. Is the coats bonded poly thread that ferdco sells pre-lubed? My boss does not have any kind of lube pot. Also what is the purpose of using a smaller thread on the bottom? I make holsters using #277 on the top and bottom. Would #207 be better to use on the bottom? Thanks for any advise you could give me.

Thanks Bruce and Art. I guess what I have is Rice nylon. When I bought it from Tippmann they said all of their thread was Rice thread. It works well but since it's all I have used I have nothing to compare it to. I have read that the poly is more abrasion resistant and does not have as much stretch. I may try some just to say I tried it.

Tippmann only sells Nylon thread for their Boss. . . Can I use Bonded Polyester thread in the Boss? What are the pros and cons of Nylon and Polyester in comparison to each other? THANKS!

There are as many different answers to that as there are threads. I have a fair amount of experience with the following threads:

Coats, in polyester a great thread that works in darned near anything. In my experience always tight wound (laid).

Eddington, another good polyester thread, laid a little looser but still works in most everything, I run this in the ASE No. 9.

Linhanyl, a good nylon thread, tight laid and well bonded, I use this in smaller sizes (138, 92, 64, 42) in the 618, Artisan had this on sale for $12 a pound and I stocked up, call Anne at Artisan to see if that deal is still going.

Rice, the best nylon ever made, I used it in everything, very little stretch, well lubed and bonded, tight lay, not currently produced.

Barbour's, linen thread not always Irish anymore but good quality control nonetheless (ought to be at $50 a roll), I use it in the Campbell machine and mostly for late 19th century period work.

The differenced between quality nylon and polyester are very slight. Nylon has a little more strength and resistance to damp creep. Polyester is more resistant to sunlight deterioration. I have found stretch to be about the same. Whatever someone sells is always going to be the best. Nylon and polyester look to be about equal in the dye acceptance (spirit dyes) category with linen having the best dye capability.

So, it really comes down to what looks best for your particular application, just sew off a few lines and make your choice. If you stay with the top companies they will work the same in your machines, and with adjustment you can make a machine run on anything, even wire or fishing line.

I like the looks of Coats Dabond polyester for the big stuff and Linhanyl nylon for the small stuff.

GET

Coats Dabond from FERDCO,

Linhanyl from Artisan,

Eddington from Campbell-Bosworth.

Thread does have a life, especially if stored improperly. Don't buy thread off of eBay or at an auction unless you get a price that would allow you to throw it away if unsatisfactory.

Art

Tippmann only sells Nylon thread for their Boss. . . Can I use Bonded Polyester thread in the Boss? What are the pros and cons of Nylon and Polyester in comparison to each other? THANKS!

Art,

Thanks for your thorough answer, just what I was hoping for! The only thread I've used in my Singer 29k58 was the Polyester from Campbell-Bosworth, I guess it is the Eddington you refer to, brand not mentioned on thread, only a tag with the size. Just a compliment for the Campbell folks. . . when FedEx dropped my crated 29K off a dock and it smashed the crate totally. . .they (Campbell folks) talked with me over the phone for over 1/2 hour helping me to figure out what all actually was needing replacement. . .miraculously it was sewing in just over a week and has been sewing great for the last 3+ years.

Barbour makes a bonded nylon thread of good quality

bcj, I run Coats on a Boss, number 277, having changed from Rice to that when the supply of Rice changed or went away a year or so ago and problems were reported with the new Rice. I didn't try the new Rice, just took others word. I have not had a problem with the Coats. I run 277 top and bottom, gun leather is all I build. I get it from Ferdco. Hope this helps. ~Bill

Ferdco seems to have gone away, what's a good source of 207 bonded poly?

Here is a place I went with though there are some others. It seemed pretty tough finding any coats brand in small quantites. Superior had good reviews and good service. I use 277 and not enough yet to make a big discussion but will stand up for them now. 

Good day there

Floyd

https://www.superiorthreads.com/shop/category/thread/bonded-polyester/?thickness=%23207

4 hours ago, Billsotx said:

Ferdco seems to have gone away, what's a good source of 207 bonded poly?

I buy bonded polyester thread (when I need it) from Toledo Industrial Sewing Machines, or from Campbell-Randall.

I can't speak for their polyester, but we had a bad experience with some, supposedly bonded, nylon from Superior. It was 2 spools of black 138, and although sold as "bonded", would literally unravel in your hand, as it came off the spool.  It also had a funny, "wrinkly" look to it.

We asked for new thread, thinking it was just a bad lot or something - The 2 new spools they sent were the same way.  It would start separating as it went through the machine tension - NOT good

Just sayin'

Have you found another replacement supplier for that color nylon. I had white 277 nylon from another company that didn't work out similarly so went with poly and havent looked back. Im sure many said the same with the cotton to nylon revolution. 

I talked to Coats here in the states but as a small quantity I needed they had gave me a few companies for these amounts. Even these companies wanted to sell a box "really".

I often thought like a lot of things if i just order a pallet load from coats it would be easy and just start puttin a sticker on it. As many others

Part of learning all the conections i suppose and working the field. I have enough to do now so dont need the added headaches. 

Have a good weekend everyone!

3 minutes ago, brmax said:

Have you found another replacement supplier for that color nylon. I had white 277 nylon from another company that didn't work out similarly so went with poly and havent looked back. Im sure many said the same with the cotton to nylon revolution. 

I talked to Coats here in the states but as a small quantity I needed they had gave me a few companies for these amounts. Even these companies wanted to sell a box "really".

I often thought like a lot of things if i just order a pallet load from coats it would be easy and just start puttin a sticker on it. As many others

Part of learning all the conections i suppose and working the field. I have enough to do now so dont need the added headaches. 

Have a good weekend everyone!

There are some leather makers that buy pallets or boxes of things and sell off what they don't need. You could use the Marketplace section of the forum to sell the unneeded spools of thread. You might even find members willing to go in on the bulk purchase..

I ordered from CR, we'll see if that's any good. Thanks for the tips.