Sign in to follow this  
ClayB

would like pattern design assistance

I like how you blocked out the parts for the main design on those David, I will have to remember that the next time I am about to do carving

sigh of relief... i wasnt sure how you would react as to beeing new and words from a page can be some times missunderstood when read from a nother person .... anyway the program i used is microsoft picture it premium 9 its not to complicated and works well to my needs... you can copy and paste a part of the pic as i did for your background and even resize as i did from your flowers, you can turn and flip and reverse items or even merge different pics hope that explained the program a little for you Don

I like how you blocked out the parts for the main design on those David, I will have to remember that the next time I am about to do carving

After you do it a few times you will be able to skip that step and just do it in your mind. To beigin with it is a good way to solidify your intent. Note how I divided the the space in thirds to place the octagons and also how the rectangle contains the golden proportions so if you divide the small side by the long side you will get .66

David Genadek

Thanks to all of you for your responses. I did some work on the pattern this afternoon (before I read the reply from David) and tried to get some flow into the design. Here is what I came up with. I'll wait to carve it this time to see if there are any more suggestions for changes.

Clay

I got a video on pattern drawing by Chan Geer, that is very helpful and comes with a pattern pack that can be used to mix and match. I got this from Hide Crafters.

Dink