Sign in to follow this  
MatthewD

attempt to do a braided quirt

Okay I am going to attempt to do a braided quirt that has a core of 20" , how long do I need to cut my thongs for the braiding, if I am using a 6 thong braid. What I am attempting to do it follow the tutorial in Bruce Grant's book that is found on page 43 or plate 21 but I don't really want to waste any of my lace if I can avoid it...

Hey Matthew, a general rule is that you need the length plus one half the length so for 20" you would need strands 30" long. If your core tapers you could maybe use less but if you are a beginner you might add a bit to the lengths. By the way, why a six plait? An eight plait makes a nicer looking braid and is not that much harder to do. The six plait will end up an over one under one in order to be easy. The other patterns are a little harder to do at first and do a nice looking job. . Daniel_Dukes_Quirt.JPG Anyway's I hope this helps and good luck.

Alan Bell

post-1670-1179808318_thumb.jpg

Thanks Alan!

As for why a 6 and not an 8 thong, I was mainly just following the tutorial but I might have to try it again after this one with an 8 braid

The formula I use is Length times 1.5...