jlb

Cleaning Horseback Riding Chaps

Hi all,

A friend of mine has a pair of chaps that need some cleaning. Biggest problem is a grease spot on them, as well as general "stains" from riding. Color from saddle rubbing against chaps, etc. Any and all suggestions will be appreciated.

He has another friend that is a saddlemaker, but he won't be able to get to these for 3 months! During show season, so I thought I'd help him out, and who knows maybe make a few $$.

Thanks all

Jeff

you can wash them in a washer. use like a woolite. there is a chap wash out now also. but make sure you use a detergent with no bleach in it. wash them in a machine then lay them flat to dry. if there a bit stiff when dry put them in dryer on cold setting with some tennis balls for a short bit and they will soften up. if the suede is flat you can get a brass brush--these are soft bristle--and brush the fibers up. as for the grease spot that will be hard to get out. if they have silver buckles and conchos take them off if you can. if they have a tooled yoke or are smooth leather you cant wash them this way. hope this helps a bit. Bronc

Bronc,

Thanks! I'll try that. What about a Shout cleaner on the grease spot, no bleach, kinda like Woolite. I have a mechanic friend that I can check with to see how he gets grease out of his work clothes.....

you can wash them in a washer. use like a woolite. there is a chap wash out now also. but make sure you use a detergent with no bleach in it. wash them in a machine then lay them flat to dry. if there a bit stiff when dry put them in dryer on cold setting with some tennis balls for a short bit and they will soften up. if the suede is flat you can get a brass brush--these are soft bristle--and brush the fibers up. as for the grease spot that will be hard to get out. if they have silver buckles and conchos take them off if you can. if they have a tooled yoke or are smooth leather you cant wash them this way. hope this helps a bit. Bronc

ps always test in an inconspicous area first.

no but if it says its for cleaning chaps try it. Im lost as to the wash im thinking about ill have to do some searching. Ive got to find it anyhow lol i need to get it in my shop lol. let you know on that one. Bonnie

If I was going to wash chaps, I would use the Leather Therapy "Wash" and "Rinse" products. People who have tried them on chaps and other leather garments are impressed by the results. http://www.leathertherapy.com/ Lots of online and regular retailers carry the Leather Therapy line. --DeeAnna