Sign in to follow this  
rawhider

"Slobber" straps

I just finished these for the wife for Christmas. It's kind of step by step. I didn't have any tracing paper, so I drew it on some heavy construction paper, then cut it out and free handed the inside of the pattern on the leather.

slobber_straps_and_pattern.jpg

Erins_pattern.jpg

Pattern_ready_to_transfer.jpg

finished_straps_long.jpg

post-5252-1198260176_thumb.jpg

post-5252-1198260186_thumb.jpg

post-5252-1198260196_thumb.jpg

post-5252-1198260210_thumb.jpg

Oh man - she is going to love those! They are really beautiful.

rawhider, don't get me wrong or anything, but I'm at a bit of a loss here. "Slobber" straps, for your wife? What's a slobber strap?, my thinking is going way out in left field on this one.

They do look very nice though.

Ken

Not being a horse person, this thread alarmed me. I was picturing Mrs. Rawhider drooling with leather binding her chin- not a pretty mental image...but thank goodness for Google. Slobber straps keep the horse's reins out of the trough. Whew. Very nice, and thank you for sharing.

Johanna

SlobberStraps1.jpg

post-5-1198261115_thumb.jpg

Thanks Johanna, my mental picture was about the same as yours. Glad we got that straightened out.

Ken

so sorry, guys!! :head_hurts_kr: i sometimes forget that not everyone that has anything to do with leather also is inot horses, and not everyone tha's into horses uses the same gear!

they're not for my wife,they are really for her horse... :blush:

They are very nice. But why does your wife drink out of a trough? :biggrin:

You non-cowboys are funny. I get a kick just thinking about the mental images you guys got from this!!!

Nice straps rawhider. I like the shape and excellent carving and stamping too!!!

Tim

That's kind of like a head stall for non-horse people. My boss couldn't figure that one out. He decided a head stall must be a brain fart!

Hey Rawhider...what's next, hobbles for your wife??? :cowboy:

Boy, am I glad I kept reading down the thread... I thought I'd stumbled into the KinkyLeatherWorker.net! :P

Not being a horse person, this thread alarmed me. I was picturing Mrs. Rawhider drooling with leather binding her chin- not a pretty mental image...but thank goodness for Google. Slobber straps keep the horse's reins out of the trough. Whew. Very nice, and thank you for sharing.

Johanna

Not being a horse person either, I have to wonder why it's a bad thing that the reins get in the trough?

• Slobber straps can take a lot of everyday wear and tear off of expensive reins. For example, if a horse takes a drink while wearing reins with slobber straps, the slobber straps will help keep the reins out of the water. They are designed to be easily removed and replaced.
    • Some reins can be very lightweight. Lightweight reins, when picked up on and released by a rider, may be so light that the horse can have trouble feeling the differences. Slobber straps can add enough weight to the end of the reins that the horse can more easily feel communication through the reins from the rider.
    • Some styles of reins, such as mecates, are not easily attached directly to a bit. In this case, the slobber strap is attached to the bit and the mecate is attached to the slobber strap.
    from www.cowboyway.com

Rawhider--great looking straps! But for the non-horse folks out there, maybe we shouldn't mention the bucking rolls!! What kind of mental image would that bringout! Keep up the good work!

Thanks Johanna! See what I mean I'm not a horse person? :)