Sign in to follow this  
oldgringo

pattern for eagle beak

Howdy:

Would anyone know where I can find a pattern for eagle beak or other similarly styled tapaderos?

i built myself a set, but i didn't use a pattern i just looked at some pictures, then drew a real-sized profile pattern. i cut out two and pinned them to my stirrups to make sure that i could get my foot in all the way. then i laid them out on the table and put the tips (where your toe would be) together, and i placed the heel part (the part that will be attached to your stirrup bolt) the same distance apart as the meacurement of the stirrup. in otherwords, if your stirrup measure 4 1/2 across at the bolt, then thats how far apart the heel of the pattern needs to be.

be sure to lay the patterns down on another piece of paper, so that when you get them set up, you can trace out the top piece. some people have their taps built in three pieces like thise. i used these steps and taped all three pieces together, then cut out my leather in one piece, and it worked well

I hope that all wasn't too confusing... :scratchhead:

Eaglebill_Tapaderos.jpg

post-5252-1198443256_thumb.jpg

It seems to me that Shop Talk magazine did a thing on taps a couple of months ago, and there were patterns for a few different styles. I won't be going back down to the shop until next week, but I'll check and see if I can find the issue.

Mike

Thanks Mr. Rawhider. I'll have to digest that for awhile

And thanks Mike. I would appreciate your help.