Sign in to follow this  
paris3200

leather chair and ottoman

I've been given a leather chair and ottoman. They have both been sitting in an old house without heating or air condition for 2 or 3 years. The chair appears to be fine, only slightly dried out. I think it just needs a good cleaning and some conditioning. Can anyone recommend how to clean it and what conditioners to apply?

The ottoman however is pink and the chair is brown. Is there any way to redye the ottoman to brown so it will match the chair?

Thanks,

Jason

First off let me say; I am not much of a hand with upholstery leather.

But I think it is often chrome tanned and I don't think you can over-dye or strip that pink.

I have always found saddle soap and then Dr. Jackson's Hide Rejuvinator to work wonders on dried out leather but again not sure about on chrome tanned.

-Maxx

Thanks for the input Maxx. I'll give the saddle soap and Dr. Jackson's Hide Rejuvenator a try.

I was afraid that there was nothing I could do about the pink. I might try reupholstering the ottoman depending on how difficult and expensive it will be.

Jason