steve mason

great grandpa's saddles

Howdy;

I thought I would post a few photos of some saddles that my great grandfather made. I am not sure of exactly when these were made but it would have been between the 1920's to 1940's. His name was Levi Bradley from High River Alberta, he started out making Harness and hand sewn collars. He started his leather career at Hutching and Riley in Calgary in 1898, he and his Brother started a Harness shop in High River in 1900, then my great grandfather bought out his brother in 1902. He started making saddles in the 1921.

lb1.jpglb2.jpg

lb3.jpglb4.jpg

post-1787-1203861906_thumb.jpg

post-1787-1203861931_thumb.jpg

post-1787-1203861956_thumb.jpg

post-1787-1203861982_thumb.jpg

Steve. I'm glad you posted the pics. Their cool. I love the oldies and history behind the old shops.

Barra.

I bought most of my tools from a man who did his saddlery and harness making apprenticeship with a little Adelaide (South Australian) firm called holden and frost. The first pic was taken about 1885 and he started in the early 1900's. The second and third pic is what they make now.

holden_collars.jpg

holden_utes.jpg

holden_ute_2.jpg

post-1669-1203864427_thumb.jpg

post-1669-1203864454_thumb.jpg

post-1669-1203864589_thumb.jpg

Edited by barra

Steve,

Neat old saddles, thanks for posting them. I like seeing the oldies, expecially when they have a story.

Steve,

WOW! Love the history lesson and the saddles. It is always neat when there's a personal connection with older gear. Thanks for sharing these.

Regards,

Ben

Howdy;

I thought I would post a few photos of some saddles that my great grandfather made. I am not sure of exactly when these were made but it would have been between the 1920's to 1940's. His name was Levi Bradley from High River Alberta, he started out making Harness and hand sewn collars. He started his leather career at Hutching and Riley in Calgary in 1898, he and his Brother started a Harness shop in High River in 1900, then my great grandfather bought out his brother in 1902. He started making saddles in the 1921.

lb1.jpglb2.jpg

lb3.jpglb4.jpg

This reminds me of those pictures of the old leather shop. Did we ever get those back up?

Thanks for reposting those pics. That looks like heaven. Wake up in the morning. Work leather all day. Then sleep very well. Very well.

ed

For me, this is a perfect example of why we should document our work and work spaces. Right now it's just the "stuff" we see and do every day, but for future generations it will be priceless material. Steve, it must be great to have those wonderful photos of your great-Grandfather's saddles and shop.

Mike

Neat old pictures, Steve. Definitely a piece of history. But to be honest, I'd rather have one of your rigs in our tack room than one of these.

Neat old pictures, Steve. Definitely a piece of history. But to be honest, I'd rather have one of your rigs in our tack room than one of these.

Denise i don't think he would turn the order down if you asked him to build you one. The only question would be who he ordered the tree from? Greg

I thought I would post a few photos of some saddles that my great grandfather made.

I am confused, are these minatures of the actual saddles that eh was making in his shop?

In the 3rd picture. What is the purpose of the "woolie"? Is it just for show or does it have a purpose?

Sandy

Edited by Sandy Robbins

Thanks for sharing your old photos. I always enjoy looking at old saddles, it makes you realize nothing is new in the saddle making world.

Thank you Steve for posting these great historical pictures! They are fantastic!

Wolf