This is a belt I made from a Tandy blank for the top, and a rather thick 6/7 oz liner (from hide crafter). The belt pattern came from one of the LCSJ issues. The buckstitching is done with very thin rawhide lace and handstitched the old fashion way (without putting the awl down, and punching one hole at a time). I just had to see if I could do it. I actually stitched much faster this way. I'm not too keen on the interior carving. I could have picked a better pattern as well as carve and dye better, but it's on the inside, so...what the heck.

Enjoy and please critique. I can always get better.

DSCN0571.JPG

post-3307-1232419344_thumb.jpg

wow, thats a nice belt, i love the carving on the inside, very peter mainish!!

Marlon

I admire your work and value your opinions you are a great asset to this site.

Thanks for all the help you have given me without even knowing it.

Nice belt Marlon, good job on the stitching, I still cant seem to get the hold everything and stitch thing. I am gonna wait till I get a real stitching horse for that. I think you would like that pattern on the inside better if the outside wasnt black. I think the pattern and dye job is fine its just with the black outside I think is what doesnt jive (IMHO). It still looks good though.

Don't be so hard on yourself Marlon, it's tremendous. Darryl

Beautiful job. very professional.

:You_Rock_Emoticon:

That's a great looking belt.

wow, thats a nice belt, i love the carving on the inside, very peter mainish!!

Thanks Roo! that's what I was shooting for, but that's the stars and I'm still here on earth.

Marlon

I admire your work and value your opinions you are a great asset to this site.

Thanks for all the help you have given me without even knowing it.

You're welcome. I try to improve or learn something everyday, so why not share to help someone do the same. Thanks for the compliments.

Nice belt Marlon, good job on the stitching, I still cant seem to get the hold everything and stitch thing. I am gonna wait till I get a real stitching horse for that. I think you would like that pattern on the inside better if the outside wasnt black. I think the pattern and dye job is fine its just with the black outside I think is what doesnt jive (IMHO). It still looks good though.

Madmax, that could be what the problem is, the black could be detracting from the interior. Though I wanted a black belt, this wasn't a dye mistake. That's why the stamp pattern is very simple, I didn't want plain, but there's no reason to get too fancy with a black belt.

Don't be so hard on yourself Marlon, it's tremendous. Darryl

Thanks Darryl.

Beautiful job. very professional.

:You_Rock_Emoticon:

Thank you Bree.

That's a great looking belt.

Thanks Rusty.

I appreciate all the comments and critiques. They definitley help to 'fine tune' the art.

Thanks everyone.

Nice lookin' strap, Marlon! I always liked Black with White stitching.

I guess it's a leftover from watching Hoppy...lol

Marlon...great job on the belt! I love that you lined it and then decorated the inside...gives it a very professional look. I like the "Peter Main" look too. The buckstitching looks great, also, which I never imagined I would say to anyone, as I still have nightmares about buckstitching everything, from the sixties and seventies! LOL Nice job!

Bob

Marlon...great job on the belt! I love that you lined it and then decorated the inside...gives it a very professional look. I like the "Peter Main" look too. The buckstitching looks great, also, which I never imagined I would say to anyone, as I still have nightmares about buckstitching everything, from the sixties and seventies! LOL Nice job!

Bob

Well Bob, since I was born in the seventies and love sixties and seventies music....I guess this is a fitting belt for me :yeah: . I always get "You're the oldest young man I know!!"

Thanks for the compliments. I think I could have done a better job on the interior, but I think it looks a little better online than in hand. Anywho....Thanks

Don't get to down on yourself Marlon, the belt is beautiful:-)

I really like the details, buckstitching, the inside carving and all...I can see where the inspiration comes from, just go for it

:clapping::clapping::You_Rock_Emoticon::clapping::clapping:

Marlon,

Nice looking belt. I like the buckstitching. You said you used thin rawhide, is this something store bought, or did you cut it? I have some rawhide lacing I bought from Tandy, but it's way to thick for what I wanted for.

Andy

Don't get to down on yourself Marlon, the belt is beautiful:-)

I really like the details, buckstitching, the inside carving and all...I can see where the inspiration comes from, just go for it

:clapping::clapping::You_Rock_Emoticon::clapping::clapping:

Thanks a bunch Tina.

Marlon,

Nice looking belt. I like the buckstitching. You said you used thin rawhide, is this something store bought, or did you cut it? I have some rawhide lacing I bought from Tandy, but it's way to thick for what I wanted for.

Andy

Andy, I bought the string at Hidecrafter's. I'm not sure if Tandy sells it. It is paper thin already, so it didn't need thining. I did pull it through some Fiebing's 4-way care (same as Lexol), and coated it with parafin wax.

Beautiful! :You_Rock_Emoticon:

really nice work- as usual!

What is the total thickness of the belt?

pete

That's a belt to be proud of. Your stitching is very good, inside and out. That's something I still have trouble with. Your work is top notch.

Not much else can be said other than WOW! It's spectacular Marlon.

Awesome belt, Marlon! I've never tried buckstitching, but now I want to give it a try.

really nice work- as usual!

What is the total thickness of the belt?

pete

Hello Pete,

It's pretty thick. I would estimate about 12-13 oz. I used a tandy belt blank, and a 6-7oz liner. Only reason is because I don't have a splitter and basically, just wanted to see how it would come out.

That's a really excellent belt, Marlon! I wish I had the time (and the skill!) to produce something like that!

Steve

Very nice. God bless you, black leather and white buckstitching! I'll do it but you have to hold a gun ( or open billfold) to my head!