Romey

Latests sheath for latest knife

Some of you may have seen the knife before , I finally got around to making the sheath. My stiching didnt come out quite as well as I normally do but its a gift for a friend and if they dont like it tough kattywhompus.

knifesheathGOOD.jpg

Sheath-front-GOOD.jpg

Back.jpg

Edge.jpg

Thought id show the edge to as several leather workers have commented on it.

Thanks to Ken Nelson down in Rapid City SD at Dakota territory saddles for straightening me out of some of my stamping issues I had.

great job- as usual! How DID you do the edge- how many pieces, what thicknesses, etc???

pete

Romey, Beautiful "set", the sheath has wonderful balance and GREAT COLOR! Tell us your dye technique. Thanks for posting!

Thanks folks, knife makers cant make sheaths right,hehe. Its not my best but I like it. Its all pretty rudimentary leather work I suppose for a lot of folks around here and as I said many posts I am more concerned with fit then looks on a sheath (but only slightly more) You can turn this upside down and shake it for all you worth and it wont fall out yet thumb and finger will draw it out easily fact someone near cut themselves doing that as they mentioned how tight it was and pulled HARD and it don’t take a hard pull at all, near cut her forearm. Its all about the welt and the inside shape of it.

The color is just russet wickett and Craig with pure neats foot oil finish. I used a type I hadn’t used before and it came out ALOT darker then I expected. A close eye will see that its still evening out when I took the pics. I wipe it on once and right back off after heating it a bit under a heat lamp, Sun don’t come out much around here.. then back under a heat lamp till dry. My friend Ken who is a excellent leather man and saddle maker uses a hairdryer when sun isn’t out for him, I think hairdryer works better then my heat lamp idea, more experimenting is in order.

The edge I did with elk antler and water. Then edge koted brown once the edge was shiny enough to reflect light. I believe I got the water idea from Bruce Johnson here on the forum and so far for the slickers I use water has worked the best and its cheap so TY for that Bruce. I used Snowseal as the final coat which is carnauba wax, bees wax and mink oil I believe, Neat time ill neatlac or something for a higher gloss though. But I do likes my snow seal

Pete its just 3 pieces of leather, the slicked belt loop, skived stitched, folded and stitched again, The skived welt, and the body of the sheath. I generally like 9oz but this was 11ish and still not to big for this particular knife.

Thank you all mucho appreciated.

Romey, your sheaths are looking better, but thats the way its supposed to be each better than the last, right? Nice knife.

Well Kev, one would think so but thats not always the way it works for me!haha

Romey, darling!

Months ago you told me a lot of nonsense (a lecture about rules in this forum) because I had posted a big photo in my thread. Now I tell you the same nonsense: you have posted 4 big photos and that is out of consideration with this forum and his members. Don´t worry, I finish here my remarks with you for ever and ever, and please don't read or reply my comments never again. I don't like your sheath, is very wide and rough, and the knife is simple. Have a good day!

WOW some ran out of Zyban! :rolleyes:

Thank you for your comments Candyleather :flowers: :wub: .

Photos that are 800x600 from 48 to 140kb are hardly large as well as its linked from a different server. But hey thanks for your concern cowboy!

Thanks folks, knife makers cant make sheaths right,hehe. Its not my best but I like it. Its all pretty rudimentary leather work I suppose for a lot of folks around here and as I said many posts I am more concerned with fit then looks on a sheath (but only slightly more) You can turn this upside down and shake it for all you worth and it wont fall out yet thumb and finger will draw it out easily fact someone near cut themselves doing that as they mentioned how tight it was and pulled HARD and it don't take a hard pull at all, near cut her forearm. Its all about the welt and the inside shape of it.

The color is just russet wickett and Craig with pure neats foot oil finish. I used a type I hadn't used before and it came out ALOT darker then I expected. A close eye will see that its still evening out when I took the pics. I wipe it on once and right back off after heating it a bit under a heat lamp, Sun don't come out much around here.. then back under a heat lamp till dry. My friend Ken who is a excellent leather man and saddle maker uses a hairdryer when sun isn't out for him, I think hairdryer works better then my heat lamp idea, more experimenting is in order.

The edge I did with elk antler and water. Then edge koted brown once the edge was shiny enough to reflect light. I believe I got the water idea from Bruce Johnson here on the forum and so far for the slickers I use water has worked the best and its cheap so TY for that Bruce. I used Snowseal as the final coat which is carnauba wax, bees wax and mink oil I believe, Neat time ill neatlac or something for a higher gloss though. But I do likes my snow seal

Pete its just 3 pieces of leather, the slicked belt loop, skived stitched, folded and stitched again, The skived welt, and the body of the sheath. I generally like 9oz but this was 11ish and still not to big for this particular knife.

Thank you all mucho appreciated.

Rudimentery my a%$!!!! Excellent work on both the knife and sheath....

Ever tru Doc Bailey's Leather Tonic? My fav....cleans, restores. preserves, puts a nice sheen on it. :blahblahblah:

i like the sheath it has a nice flow in the edge design and it isnt easy to stitch through that amount of thickness and get all the stitches to match up on the back side which you mastersd very well, Don

Ray ban, thank you very much! No i havent tried the Leather Tonic before but have tried simuliar. I will probably go on to put more sheen on my sheaths in future so will use a neatlac or somthing. The reason I use snow seal once in awhile is its famous amoung old time hunters, guides and trappers for water protection on leather (boots) and its something a customer can put on thier sheaths time to time and not so much mess up or over soften as can happen with oil.

I know alot of sheath makers dip thier sheaths in melted beeswax/carnuba wax mixure , well you add mink oil and you got Sno Seal. I have even used johnsons floor paste with OK results, as its just carnuba wax and it dont darken.

BTW I seen your sheaths, very impressive!

Don, Thank you very much!

As you know Im a Bladesmith first but I do enjoy leatherwork and hope im getting better each time.

Wait till you see the spurs in working on though :cowboy:

Edited by Romey

ok, dont take this to heart, but you need to do a little work on lining up your lines on your basket weave. other than that, assembly and sewing and everything else is spot on.as for larger pictures, I love them. I want to be able to zoom in and see small details. so dont listen to the person that is being a critic, posative re-enforcement is whats needed, not cutting someone down. keep up the good work.

Thank you Duke,

I think we should listen to our critics closer then our friends. Critics can show quite quickly if they are talking out the south side of a north bound cow, If they arent, then it can be benificial to listen to someone of a SOUND mind. I can handle about anyone or anything so nothing gets to me much, I dont sweat em, but I appreciate it.

Im sure some of my lines arent perfect tho i think the curve of the sheath is making them look further off then they actually are. Its my stitching actually that I jacked up! LOL Its only second time I basket stamped though and no question room for improvment. Thanks for all your comments every bit helps :angel_not:

Spurs did you mension spurs now you got me listning this sounds interesting, do you have any pics as id like to see how you are doing them, Don

They are forge one peice , will be pictures when done, im actually working on 3 different sets, a light riding set, a old timey looking set and a reining style set.