Sasquatch

All Skived Out

Hey guy's just wondering, after I'm done skiving down a piece of leather to the thickness I was looking for, how do I get it smooth again? I have seen a few threads on burnishing edges. Would it be the same for the rough side of my project

Thanks, Mike

Depending how hairy it is, you can sand it like you do wood. Use the same process, dampen it, start with a kinda rough grit sandpaper and work up to a smoother one.

If it is not real hairy, trim it with shears and then you can rub some gum tag onto it to help smooth it.

Stupid Question What is gum tag?

Stupid Question What is gum tag?

The only stupid question is the one not asked Sas... We are all here to learn from each other.

Gum Tragacanth was used in the 'old' days as a sealer over the entire surface of leather items. Today it is mainly used on the edges of leather items. It helps the slicking and burnishing process on the edges to give you a nice smooth look.

I use it on the backs of some of my projects to help with some of the loose fibers there too.

Hope this helps!!

Edited by calanneh

I'm beginning to like Tuff Kote more and more for sealing the flesh side.

ed