Angster

My take on leather mugs

I've been making leather mugs for several years now, and have a slightly different way of putting them together. My method, while not exactly historically accurate does allow you to tool designs on the mug much easier. If there's interest, I'll put together a tutorial showing how I make them. In the meantime, here's a couple of pictures of mugs I've done in the past.

pirateshipmug.JPG This is my wife's mug. She's been using it pretty constantly for the past 6 years. It's held up really well.

mug___Rose.jpg This is a smaller mug. With this style of mug design, you have the ability to make mugs of practically any size.

HPIM2416.JPG My largest set of commissioned mugs to date. These mugs are for the command staff of an infantry regiment that just returned from a tour of duty. It was an honor making them.

post-8561-1232562104_thumb.jpg

post-8561-1232562155_thumb.jpg

post-8561-1232562169_thumb.jpg

I can't speak for anyone else but I know I'd LOVE a tutorial of those! They look fantastic!

Oops. I forgot to add a pic of my pride and joy. This mug was the culmination of practically every technique I've learned... Formed leather, undercutting, standard tooling, stamping... I did end up selling it to a very nice lady that just had to have it (and spent a good deal of time in the doghouse after my wife found out about the sale...). But, hey, I figure if I made that one, I can make another one...

mug_greenman_side.jpgmug_greenman_handle.jpg

post-8561-1232562974_thumb.jpg

post-8561-1232562989_thumb.jpg

nice work, I'd like to see a tutorial

Tutorial!!!

BTW, the leafy wooden looking one is great! Can see why it was the pride and joy :D

very nice mugs. i see you are lining them with beeswax.

what happened to all the "Brewers Pitch" that used to be used to line the

mugs ?

very nice mugs. i see you are lining them with beeswax.

what happened to all the "Brewers Pitch" that used to be used to line the

mugs ?

I use a mixture of beeswax and brewer's pitch. They melt at pretty close to the same temperature, and they complement each other. Beeswax can be brittle, brewer's pitch is too sticky. But together, they become slightly flexible and pliant, without being sticky.

I've got a couple of mugs to be making in the next couple of weeks... I'll get a tutorial together.

I use a mixture of beeswax and brewer's pitch. They melt at pretty close to the same temperature, and they complement each other. Beeswax can be brittle, brewer's pitch is too sticky. But together, they become slightly flexible and pliant, without being sticky.

I've got a couple of mugs to be making in the next couple of weeks... I'll get a tutorial together.

That would be Awesome!

I love Tutorials :You_Rock_Emoticon:

Love the Mugs

Oh Please, Please Please do a tutorial!

can you actuia;ly drink out of these?

will they work for tea or coffee as well?

I would think not but pleas etell me i am wrong

Would love to see the tutorial.

and please explain more about the process of mixing and applying the beeswax and brewer's pitch. (is it a 50/50 mix?)

your mugs are awesome!

ken

Gak! Been crazy busy the past few months. Should have tutorial pictures ready this week, and will work on getting the text done around the same time...

As far as using the mugs, they can be used for anything except hot liquids (I've personally used my mugs and shotglasses for everything from water, tea, lemonaide to meade, ales and beers, wine to whisky, rum and so on...). I remember reading somewhere that someone warned about hard liquers and the wax/pitch blends. However, I've not seen anything to suggest a problem and think it might have been geared to leather bottles and storing the liquer for extended periods... Not sure.

The blend between the beeswax and brewer's pitch I feel is kind of a personal preference sort of thing. I have a friend that uses around 3/1 wax to pitch, and it seems like his is a bit more prone to leaking from a bad lining (personally I think it's because the high amount of beeswax keeps the lining a bit brittle). With using a 1/1 (50%/50%) mix, I haven't seen bad linings, or leaks... But with any sort of advice, especially from me, take it with a grain of salt and play around. Use what you decide you like, and hang the rest.

The mugs are really nice so I agree with everybody else, make that tutorial whenever you have time/feel up to it.

Tom

Gak! Been crazy busy the past few months. Should have tutorial pictures ready this week, and will work on getting the text done around the same time...

As far as using the mugs, they can be used for anything except hot liquids (I've personally used my mugs and shotglasses for everything from water, tea, lemonaide to meade, ales and beers, wine to whisky, rum and so on...). I remember reading somewhere that someone warned about hard liquers and the wax/pitch blends. However, I've not seen anything to suggest a problem and think it might have been geared to leather bottles and storing the liquer for extended periods... Not sure.

The blend between the beeswax and brewer's pitch I feel is kind of a personal preference sort of thing. I have a friend that uses around 3/1 wax to pitch, and it seems like his is a bit more prone to leaking from a bad lining (personally I think it's because the high amount of beeswax keeps the lining a bit brittle). With using a 1/1 (50%/50%) mix, I haven't seen bad linings, or leaks... But with any sort of advice, especially from me, take it with a grain of salt and play around. Use what you decide you like, and hang the rest.

Angster, I've been wanting to branch off and use the more traditional sealing process. Does the 1/1 mixture affect the taste of the brew? I pal around with a few folks that are brewers and they as well as I have heard that beeswax will taint the flavor of various drinks.

Thanks and I absolutely love the braided handle mug! Fantastic!

Angster, I've been wanting to branch off and use the more traditional sealing process. Does the 1/1 mixture affect the taste of the brew? I pal around with a few folks that are brewers and they as well as I have heard that beeswax will taint the flavor of various drinks.

Thanks and I absolutely love the braided handle mug! Fantastic!

No, the beeswax does not affect the taste of whatever you're drinking. Well, take that with a pinch of salt... That is based on what people who have my mugs have said. Personally, I can't tell any taste given from the beeswax, but I'm considered a non-taster. If you're a super-taster, you may be able to tell a difference. (Wikipedia - Supertaster if you're interested)

One thing that may happen, is if the lining was done very recently, you can definitely smell the beeswax and the scent may contribute to an 'altered taste'?

BTW. I'm getting the last of the pictures organized for the tutorial. Should have it up soon.

Please add me to your list of people who are interested in a tutorial!!

Jana

I have been watching this topic for a while, waiting and hoping for an tutorial for those brilliant and beautiful mugs.

Regards from an viking leatherworker.

catching up on long missed posts....

I know the tutorial is in the works... I'd love another's take on it and await with bated breath :)

do ''brewer's pitch'' is known by a other name?

maybe it will sound ridiculous but what is this "brewer's pitch"?

do ''brewer's pitch'' is known by a other name?

maybe it will sound ridiculous but what is this "brewer's pitch"?

According to Frank Zigon, an old timer who wrote many articles for "Make It With Leather Magazine" back in the '70s & '80s, it was a substance that was used to line tank cars, before the advent of epoxy coatings. It was a food grade natural resin substance, harder than pine pitch & without the smell/taste of pine pitch. Tandy used to sell it in pound lots. Google 'brewers pitch', Yan, & you'll find it.

russ

For those waiting for the tutorial, it is finished. It's in this same forum under the title 'Tutorial on Mug Making'.

Edited by Angster