anvilcustoms

.45 cal GUN HOLSTER recently built....with BULLET RIVETS

Fun little project here. Built this holster for dad's Rock Island .45 (1911 model).

Pancake style holster made from 8-9 oz. cowhide, LINED with glazed pigskin.

I made the BULLET RIVETS myself.

They actually turned out perfect and apply to leather VERY well, very tight.

After shooting a few rounds with the gun, I just cut them down on my lathe......fun stuff.

Cheers,

Ryan Wasson

www.anvilleather.com

DSC01960.jpg

DSC01961.jpg

DSC01962.jpg

DSC01963.jpg

DSC01969.jpg

DSC01970.jpg

DSC01978.jpg

DSC01985.jpg

DSC01986.jpg

DSC01987.jpg

DSC01989.jpg

Wow! Very nice. The material matches the grip perfectly. The rivets were a great idea. Wish I still had my lathe so I could borrow it. (the idea)LOL

Very slick!! Nice work man!

Love those rivets,nice touch. :You_Rock_Emoticon:

Now,

I don't know much about holsters but...This one really caught my eye, the idea is finished (the rivets made it) and there's nothing to ad. I also like the color you made it in, it looks worn yet very nice in that "just right" finish...Awesome work.

Very nice job!

love the color! :thumbsup:

Good idea on the rivets! I wonder if you could use a pop rivet with those .45 shell caps?

Love the holster. What did you use to get the color?

yeah, do tell. It looks like some of that distressed chap, or nubuck. You must give us a tutorial on those rivets.

That looks great, color and contrast. Styled nicely. And your phototaking skills are too :D

Good idea on the rivets! I wonder if you could use a pop rivet with those .45 shell caps?

I was wondering the same thing too. I've tried riveting on leather - it doesn't take too well. Could have just been my pain in rear rivet gun.

Another option is Tnuts on the backside, or even just on the front piece, sandwiched in between the layers. if you don't want to use the Tnuts with prongs, you can either snip the prong off or use the flat kind from DOT fasteners. Also use a small flat head machine screw, short length of course. Dab a hint of locktite on it and you're good to go. You don't need to install the brass until after dye and mold so long as the Tnut is in place. It's the same concept that I use on my holsters.

Edited by Shorts

I like it. I'm new to leatherworking but everything about the holster (and it's contents) appeals to me. Nice job!

I'm not into guns, but the holster is cool and those rivets are superb. Nice work Darryl

Great work ,I am into guns and do a lot of Holsters..Have yuo thought of making some of those for sale? I would be interested in some .45 Colt and .44-40 colt ..could be a classy dress up used in the right places!!

Great work ,I am into guns and do a lot of Holsters..Have yuo thought of making some of those for sale? I would be interested in some .45 Colt and .44-40 colt ..could be a classy dress up used in the right places!!

Geez....thanks everyone....sorry I can't respond to everyone, but I'll give it a try here.

I have a BUNCH of these rivets made up (well a few sets more than what you see here in the pics).....and yes I am happy to sell them. You would be surprised to find out they are a bit TEDIOUS to make. You REALLY want the bullet ends to be cut perfectly, otherwise they would sit crooked on the leather surface. Therefore I cut these in my small lathe. I had to build a small JIG for EACH caliber (all different sizes) to hold the brass cartridge.....otherwise, they would be crushed in the lathe chuck.

One of these days I will do a picture tutorial on how to make them. In the meantime, I would sell them for $50 per set of 10 rivets (or $30 for set of 5 rivets). Keep in mind, these are very nice brass bullet rivets with LOTS of brass material in the end of the cartridges, so they are kinda heavy weighted for such a small piece. Also, look closely and you will see I used small ALLEN screws for fastening....they give the look of a SPENT (or "fired") bullet as the allen screw has that hollowed socket head looking like a hammered primer......for all you non-gun people, don't worry about this....not really that big of a deal.....lol.

Anyways, if you want some, let me know.

Ryan

www.anvilleather.com

DSC01979.jpg

DSC01982.jpg

DSC01985.jpg

DSC01986.jpg

DSC01987.jpg

DSC01988.jpg

DSC01989.jpg

DSC01990.jpg

DSC01991.jpg

Ryan, How did you get that color??

Neat rivets. The holster looks good - I'd like to see it totally finished with the edges burnished and a topcoat. Well done.

Ryan, How did you get that color??

Looks exactly like the results I first got when I tried the eco flow dye (Java brown) for the first time.

Quick suggestion: Take the spent primers, remove the anvil and carbon, hammer out the firing pin dent and use them to cap the allen head. You should be able to press them in with a dowel-rod or the aid of a mallet. Personally, I think that would give it that extra level of finish to it.

Joel