David

New Sucker Punch Seat

New Seat  

48 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like the new art

• yes
    • no

Dave love your work ! big fan, seen your work before i found the site ! What a treat to do the seats for Sucker Punch ! I know others don't like the birds but you give the customer what they want , and there old school . Your colors are always awesome but when your building bikes black goes with everything i'm sure you know thats why they always ask for black . Your stitching and braiding techniques are BAD A$$ !! they are saddles for steel horses . Keep up the great work and all the info ! Raleigh

Thanks to all who have responded,

Perhaps it is time to add a little history to the symbolism of the Nautical Star, birds, and also the flaming heart and flowers which also appear on many Sucker Punch seats.

These are all symbols of Nautical tattoo art that go way back to the early age of sailing ships. They are all religious in nature and the actual appearence of them is taken right from the pages of history. Many sailors of the era wanted to express their religious feeling and preferences without reference to the traditional churches of England and Europe. Hence all of this symbolism. These symbols have been passed down to the current practitioners of tattoo art. They represent God, the Holy Spirit, the pierced heart of Christ and the Rose of Sharon.

So while the birds, (they are actually swallows, as evidenced by the split tail) may appear Disneyish to some, it was probably Disney copying the the tattoo artists rather than the other way around.

To those of you who don't like the birds; I'm afraid you'll have to tell those tattooists of the 14th-18th centuries (now that is Old School) when you meet them. Everyone is simply copying them.

Thanks again for taking a look,

David Theobald

Finally figured out that it is the placement that makes the birds stand out more(on top rather than more incorporated in the other photo) in my minds eye. I do enjoy your seats and have seen many examples of the older style tatts. SPS being the customer gets what they want and my disney comment really doesn't amount to a hill'o'beans as I don't foresee ever being able to afford one of thier masterful creations. LOL :You_Rock_Emoticon:

Finally figured out that it is the placement that makes the birds stand out more(on top rather than more incorporated in the other photo) in my minds eye. I do enjoy your seats and have seen many examples of the older style tatts. SPS being the customer gets what they want and my disney comment really doesn't amount to a hill'o'beans as I don't foresee ever being able to afford one of thier masterful creations. LOL :You_Rock_Emoticon:

Hey Jordan,

You weren't the only one to feel that way about the birds. And I did not take offense at any of it. I was just explaining where the symbols came from and what their significance was. I doubt that most wearers of tattoos are even aware of what they are wearing. To most they are probably just cool biker tats.

SPS prides themselves in affordable bikes so you never know...there may be a Sucker Punch in your future too.....

Thanks for looking friend.

Dave

Got my sights set on another 60's BMW to restore. I had so much fun with the first R69s I am going to do it again, but I think I will keep it rather than sell it. Man I miss that bike. Maybe one of your seats is destined for the next one!

Beemer10.jpg

post-4868-1233092470_thumb.jpg

Edited by Jordan

Got my sights set on another 60's BMW to restore. I had so much fun with the first R69s I am going to do it again, but I think I will keep it rather than sell it. Man I miss that bike. Maybe one of your seats is destined for the next one!

Sure looks like a good restoration. That's a nice looking bike. Very interesting seat mount.

Dave

That's a really good design and the work itself is awesome. If I'm not mistaken, the swallows were tattooed after a trans-Atlantic voyage. Anyone know for sure? Too bad they wanted it black. Mutes all that incredible work. Have you tried vinagroon to prevent crocking?

That's a really good design and the work itself is awesome. If I'm not mistaken, the swallows were tattooed after a trans-Atlantic voyage. Anyone know for sure? Too bad they wanted it black. Mutes all that incredible work. Have you tried vinagroon to prevent crocking?

I had not heard that about the swallows before. The only history I've heard on them goes way back to the age of sailing ships. I hated to dye it black but then I do want to get paid....lol. I've not tried the vinagroon, I have a wife who hates it when I dye a seat in the garage and bring it in to dry....If I start brewing stuff in my workshop, I may be in need of an attorney.

Thanks for taking a look at the seat.

Take care

David Theobald

If I remeber right David alot of the birds and there importance for sailers were the fact that the birds were only scene near land. When one was sailing across the atlantic or any large body of water with limited supplies and motivational power it was a welcome sign to see land and usually land dwelling birds were the first you saw of it.

Now I am not sure if that has anything to do with the swallow but I know it was extremely bad luck to kill a land dwelling bird on board your ship. Even for food.

Love the seat, great work as usual !

Susan

Dave, looks awesome. I know the black wasn't your choice, but your tan colored seats are fantastic. I wish I got more guys wanting tan - the way it shows the grain and the way it weathers is the essense of leather IMHO

I sent you a PM

Thanks to everyone for taking a look. Lots of opinions of the birds and what they stand for. I loved all the ideas.

Thanks for the tip Ian, I'll give it a try and give you the credit when I see how it looks.

Dave