ShawnW

Can you sew boot soles on a Champion stitcher?

I've been offered an old Champion stitching machine. Just wondering if anyone out there uses one, and whether or not you can sew boot soles with one. If not, do you have any suggestions on a machine that would be good for resoleing boots, and some other harness and tack?

Thanks,

Shawn

I've been offered an old Champion stitching machine. Just wondering if anyone out there uses one, and whether or not you can sew boot soles with one. If not, do you have any suggestions on a machine that would be good for resoleing boots, and some other harness and tack?

Thanks,

Shawn

Hi,

I'm afraid I can't help with the 'Champion' machine as they don't turn up very often here in the UK. However, when I used to be in the shoe trade (many years ago!) the usual machine used was a 'Goodyear' outsole lock-stitch machine, but these required a great deal of skill to use properly. The only other machine that I have come across, that was designed for stitching shoe soles, is the Pfaff 335 (see Pic).

But I'm sure that some of the more knowledgable will be able to suggest a lot more!

Steve

Pfaff_335.jpg

post-7482-1233100709_thumb.jpg

Edited by SteveBrambley

Is it a straight stitcher? they can be used as a soleing machine. it is good for harness work. I have a straight stitcher champion. and I have a Landis 12. the landis is more popular for shoe repair. a curve needle machine seems to be better for soles. good luck. Bronc/Bonnie

This one is a straight stitcher, and was used for harness and saddle skirting. I figured a curved needle would be better for boot soles. Didn't know how well the straight stitcher would work.

This one is a straight stitcher, and was used for harness and saddle skirting. I figured a curved needle would be better for boot soles. Didn't know how well the straight stitcher would work.

If the thing is free or priced right I would certainly take it. A curve needle is better, but a straight needle will work.

You have to take the last out of the boot so you can fold the vamp back out of the way to sew it.

Rusty

I have Phaff 335-H3 did know that Info, Thanks for that insight. Also how heavy of a thread can it take?

Hi,

I'm afraid I can't help with the 'Champion' machine as they don't turn up very often here in the UK. However, when I used to be in the shoe trade (many years ago!) the usual machine used was a 'Goodyear' outsole lock-stitch machine, but these required a great deal of skill to use properly. The only other machine that I have come across, that was designed for stitching shoe soles, is the Pfaff 335 (see Pic).

But I'm sure that some of the more knowledgable will be able to suggest a lot more!

Steve

Hi Steve,

I have never seen a 335 like this. The arm has an odd shape. Is this one especially for sole leather or harness leather?

I have a 'normal' 335 myself. Don't think mine likes sole or harness leather.

Sandy.

Hi,

The only other machine that I have come across, that was designed for stitching shoe soles, is the Pfaff 335 (see Pic).

Steve

The Champion might do it as long as it still has the correct throat plate on it with the

channel cutter on it.Years ago when we worked on these we always took em off because we were selling them as harness machines.

Parts are real hard to find for these.

Bob

post-7185-046275800 1313757206_thumb.jpg

I've never seen a Pfaff 335 setup like that either.I did just get some Singers in that look very similar & Singer says they are for "horse boots & other concave or convex articles"

Thay have a topfeed only.

Bob

post-7185-096449200 1313757921_thumb.jpg

Hi Steve,

I have never seen a 335 like this. The arm has an odd shape. Is this one especially for sole leather or harness leather?

I have a 'normal' 335 myself. Don't think mine likes sole or harness leather.

Sandy.

Hi Sandy

I agree, I wouldn't have thought that particular machine would have been heavy enough to stitch through sole leather, either. However, the German machinery dealer who was selling that particular example quoted that it was " for stitching soles to shoes". Maybe light weight ladies shoes perhaps, but nothing too heavy. Although, like Singer, Pfaff made many different versions of the same basic machine which differered greatly in their stitching abilities, so anything's possible.

Steve