Dynamik1

Demo guns for forming/molding

I posted a question about Airsoft guns as suitable options for using to form/bone holster, it seemed like there was a lot of question and possible some of them are not as accurate.

Today I discovered Blackhawk Demo Guns on closeout from LA Police Gear for $24 ea - they have Glock 17, Beretta 92, S&W J-Frame and SIG226. http://www.lapolicegear.com/bldegun.html

Thoughts?

If you need something molded, use the real gun, but oil it well and/or wrap it tightly in saran wrap. Just make sure that the saran wrap is smoothed down so you don't end up with bumps or wrinkles.

If you need something molded, use the real gun, but oil it well and/or wrap it tightly in saran wrap. Just make sure that the saran wrap is smoothed down so you don't end up with bumps or wrinkles.

Hey Kid,

I dont have the luxury of owning that many handguns and there are several I would like to make for friends or perhaps sell for a meager profit. Most people recommend Ring's Blue Guns - they are available in just about every model you could think of for around $40. The Airsoft ones are cheaper and me and the kids might actually get to play with them too :-) From what I hear they are pretty close to the real thing, but these training guns from Blackhawk might be more like the Ring's Blue Guns. Do you have any experience with either Ring's Blue Guns, these here Blackhawk training guns or Airsoft?

The Airsoft guns are a little thicker than the real deal. You wil probly be better off using traing guns.

Once upon a time, if I needed a pistol to make holsters by, I bought it. THEN I GOT HITCHED! That brought an end to that! I started using Duncan dummy guns years ago and have had no problems with them at all. If you will go to pistolsmith.com, you will find a good debate on dummies (guns). I have found that you run the risk of making your holsters the wrong size if you do not use the actual pistol or a dummy that you KNOW is within specs. A good dummy gun is cheaper than wasting your leather and time.

Edited by HarryB

Dynamik1,

I have used the Ring's blue guns for holsters extensively and they work as well as using the real gun. I have handled the Blackhawk versions, and found they are molded to the same detail as the Ring's guns and seem to be well made, but of a lighter material. If you use a press to mold your holsters be warned that either the Ring's or the Blackhawk can break with enough pressure. (Have seen trigger guards and the like snap off). If you do your molding by hand, you will get many years of good service out of the solid plastic Ring's guns.

I have an extensive collection of real firearms, but I found that I was putting alot of wear on my own guns by using them for molding other people's holsters, so I switched to the Ring's guns and have not looked back.

One thing to keep in mind is that alot of the Ring's gun models can be used to make holsters that fit a variety of handguns. Each model can some times double for another gun in the maker's family of weapons. For example, depending on the type of holster, I can use my Ring's Glock 17 (9mm) to make holsters for the G22 (.40 cal), G23, G 19, G32, G33, etc. because they are all the same frame size, only the barrel length is different. Depending on the cut of the holster, I can make it work for laying out the stiching for the various models, as well as molding the details into the leather. Another example I use is the Sig P220 Ring gun. I have use it to make holsters for the P226 and the P245 with good success. I also use a Ring's S&W J-frame model to make holsters for Taurus model 85 guns in addition to the multitude of various j-frame smiths. Same goes for the Beretta 92 series of guns... they fit the 96 series and the Taurus 92/101 series of guns. With a collection of 4-5 commonly used full size Ring's guns, you can make a plethera of various holsters for different models.

I have Ring's guns for the following models of pistols:

Glock 26

Glock 17

Sig P220

Sig P229

Springfield 1911 Operator (with rail)

S&W J-frame (2 inch)

I chose these examples because these are the guns that I get the most requests to build holsters for, with the bulk being for the Glock 26, S&W J-Frame and the Sig P220, because the majority of my customers are cops and thats what they carry around here.

I will still use a customer's gun if it is something odd or something that I don't have in my collection. For example, I got an order to make a holster for a Colt Pocketlight .380 tonight and the customer provided me his gun to use, since I do not have one of those in the collection. Since I will likely not see another order for that gun in the foreseable future, it wouldn't help much to have a Ring's gun for that model.

Anyway, that is my experience, for what it is worth....

-Tac

Anyway, that is my experience, for what it is worth....

-Tac

Highly valued and appreciated Tac!

Thank you!

I have handled the Blackhawk versions, and found they are molded to the same detail as the Ring's guns and seem to be well made, but of a lighter material.

Do you think that the Blackhawk's are true to spec?

Two sons... Yes they are built to "spec", meaning that they are the same dimentions and size as a real firearms that they replicate. With the Blackhawk version, they mold their brand name in the side of the weapon, and it would likely transfer to the inside of a tightly molded holster, unlike the Ring's blue gun versions.

-Tac

Two sons... Yes they are built to "spec", meaning that they are the same dimentions and size as a real firearms that they replicate. With the Blackhawk version, they mold their brand name in the side of the weapon, and it would likely transfer to the inside of a tightly molded holster, unlike the Ring's blue gun versions.

-Tac

Could file it down or if its sunk in fill it with resin then file it. Just a thought.

Two sons... Yes they are built to "spec", meaning that they are the same dimentions and size as a real firearms that they replicate.

Thanks!

I posted a question about Airsoft guns as suitable options for using to form/bone holster, it seemed like there was a lot of question and possible some of them are not as accurate.

Today I discovered Blackhawk Demo Guns on closeout from LA Police Gear for $24 ea - they have Glock 17, Beretta 92, S&W J-Frame and SIG226. http://www.lapolicegear.com/bldegun.html

Thoughts?

About a year ago, . . . I went through a couple of threads on TFL and 1911.com, . . . and actually logged down what everyone answered to the question "What do you carry?"

My list showed a preponderance for Glock 19, Beretta 92, and 1911's, . . . and I bought the appropriate "blue gun" dummies for those. So far, the 1911 and Glock have been used several times, . . . the Beretta gathers a lot of dust.

But I paid $35 or so for each, . . . your deal looks better.

And I echo the other comments about the blue guns being really great to work with for molding, etc.

May God bless,

Dwight

Just came by this thread and like to say thanks to all.

I ordered from http://www.lapolicegear.com/bldegun.html and hope they are what i'm looking for for molding leather holsters.

Once again thanks guys for all the info

Howard

For future reference, Try RMB Leather-the Bluegun Store, a forum member and supporter. Rob is conscientious, quick to ship and to add icing to the cake, special orders his inventory, to be shipped without the final coat of blue finish, which is present on everyone else's blueguns and comes off on your leather unless you strip it off first. I order exclusively from Rob ,have for the last year ,maybe, and am totally satisfied. Only had one glitch with an order, and Rob dealt with it quickly and fairly. Don't even think about ordering from anyone else!!!

Thanks

mncarpenter I will on the next order :)

I ordered grey guns this time, hope there is no finish on them.