pete

tandy edge cutter

Am I a complete "MAROON" or is impossible to use that tandy edge cutter with anything except a 3/4" straight blade?

There is no way that the tightening screw works on any blade that is hollow. I even took an old hollow and filled it with liquid metal to make it flat and had a heck of a time.

pete

Hey Pete you have a link to the tool, I may be a maroon as well but I cant figure out which tool your talking about.

Oh and that knife I got from you is still working great, so much better then the other one I had. Thanks.

Never been able to use any other blade on it, either. I'm tempted to use it as a pattern and make a more versatile one out of brass.

I have one of those... just leave it attached to my dad's old knife and blade, and hang it on my tool rack for no other use.

I do it like Greg. I like the tool for cutting borders alright. I stuck a cheap knife with a blade in it and have about a $12 setup in it. It works well enough for that. The big key is not to overtighten the screws. It can crack the frame.

I use to have one until I accidentally broke it. And yes, you have to use a straight blade on it otherwise it won't work worth a :censored2:

you can take a little off the end so the set screw can go in a little deeper to make contact with the blade. I ran mine on my benchtop belt sander and took about an 1/8 off.

If you can find the Brass version on sale its MUCH better than the plastic one. I have used the brass one but don't have one yet. You need a straight blade. I have 3 of them. each has an old knife in it that stays there. 2 are set to a predefined width as they are a pain to set up in my mind so I leave then at 1/4 and 1/2 inches. The third is the one I adjust when I have to but I prefer to not have to adjust them.

Michael

Am I a complete "MAROON" or is impossible to use that tandy edge cutter with anything except a 3/4" straight blade?

There is no way that the tightening screw works on any blade that is hollow. I even took an old hollow and filled it with liquid metal to make it flat and had a heck of a time.

pete

Change the screw for a longer one maybe. I have seen them in brass too, however I do not remember where.

you can get the brass one here and on ebay. Kyoshin Elle Leathercraft Brass Pro Border Tool