Snakebyte

Help with some stingray

Well, to start, I bought a small 25 (Raven) because I like them for some reason... no idea why...

I figured, it would look nice with a stingray holster, and mag carrier. The idea being, that being small, with a chrome gun, it would be kinda "bling, bling" and purely novelty for the most part. Just kind of a "because I can" type thing.

I thought about it a bit, and hate the grips they come with. Figured being a little thicker, and matching the holster would be cool... So I wanted to try to stick the stingray to the grips.

I cut em a little too big, and epoxied the stingray on. I roughed up the grips first, to help ensure the epoxy sticks good.

I will be working on the holsters in a bit, but figured that because I had a spare set of grips, I would play with them first :)

My problem:

The skin cut fine with scissors. I used the part close to the tail end, where the "pebbles" are smallest. Worked fine, had no problems. The edge is kinda sharp, and the edge of the pebbles is whitish. I am going to try a dremel gently to try to blend the edge of the skin, epoxy, and black plastic grip together a bit. The skin is black, and the grip is as well.

Any ideas? Still very new to this...

I have used stingray on several projects and there is not a good way to work with it. Those pebbles are just a bit** to work around. It dulls everthing you use to cut it. Ruins needles you sew it with ect. If you sew it on a machine the pebbles that you break with the needle when you sew will cut your thread. It helps to run your thread through a lube pot and have plenty of lube on the thread when you sew. You can try sanding down the pebbles along the edge to make it so you can use it but I am sure it will show.

Good luck

Randy

I know the edges are kinda crappy. I want to find something to put over the edge of the ray, and plastic (black epoxy?) to seal the edge, keep it from peeling, and cover the rough edge. Maybe put epoxy on, let it set, then try to sand it down, and polish it smooth?

Any ideas?

I know the edges are kinda crappy. I want to find something to put over the edge of the ray, and plastic (black epoxy?) to seal the edge, keep it from peeling, and cover the rough edge. Maybe put epoxy on, let it set, then try to sand it down, and polish it smooth?

Any ideas?

I find it is best to inset the stringray or use it on the backside of a fillagree where you cut out say the name or a shape out of the leather and put the stingray on the back side. I have attach a picture as an example of what I mean. I have never had any luck finishing the edge of stingray to make look good.

misc_from_dec_05__jan_06_038.jpg

post-62-1234378954_thumb.jpg

I use quite a bit of stingray, but like Randy I prefer to do inlays.Now if your doing an overlay, forget the black plastic edge.Glue your skin down securely and clamp well.Now I have a varible speed belt sander that makes this very quick, but it can be done carefully with a Dremel. sand the edge down to even and then slightly round over the edge.If needed finish with handsanding down to at least 400 grit.At this point I dampen the edge and hand burnish with an antler tip(substitute as needed).I then dye the edge and burnish again then apply final sealer.For sew rayskin, I use a drillpress(I sharpen the shank of a small drill bit, reverse chuck it, and punch my holes with the press running,much cleaner than drilling.)for making my holes the sew as normal.Like I said earlier, I find inlays much more attractive (even though more work required) and about 99% of my work is inlays.I even do full inlays on my holsters.Dave

Here's a couple of examples,

Here's a sheath with stingray

dobson2.jpg

And while not stingray but croc it shows a holster with a full inlay

glock1.jpg

The problem is that it is going over a piece of plastic. I ended up taking clear epoxy, and going around the edge of the grip, covering the edge of the skin, and the plastic. When it cures, I will sand it down smooth, dye it black, and seal it to make it more glossy. For the holster, I would like to make it a full inlay.

You're on the right track with respect to the grips. Here's a set we put on a 1911:

How did you dress the edge? What did you use to dye it, and seal it?

Here is a pic. I am still working on it. Just used the black part, the diamond is going on the holsted, and one on the mag carrier.

Thanks, Jeff

downsized_0214092154a.jpg

Well, here are the grips, finished. Tired of working on em... :head_hurts_kr:

I polished the stripe thru the middle, and around the edge, and polished the edge till it was smooth and shiny. I used the edge area of the pelt, so I still have the nice area.

Just out of curiousity, what would you charge someone to make a grip like that? I understand that these are not perfect, but they are my first attempt. Thanks!

0310091923.jpg

0310091924.jpg

anybody? :whatdoyouthink: