MsDragonfly

what are rivets for?

I generally only buy 1" or 3/4", you set the burr on them then nip them off to 1/8", then peen them over.

Art

Is that the same as a smidgeon? So then , is it SOP to nip them off to get them just right?

I generally only buy 1" or 3/4", you set the burr on them then nip them off to 1/8", then peen them over.

Art

i've allways gone with an eighth,when setting ,i also used a steel anvil and [forgive me]a ball pein hammer and kinda pat pat patted a pretty dome over th washer peining i guess .i bought a rivet setter in oz in68 and have wore it down to 1 inch 3 times hitting steel on steel

but i felt i got the best dome that way n stayed with it pete

OK guys, that's what I needed to know. Gonna order some 3/4" #14s from Weaver. So, I'll nip off about 1/8". Is that practical, or should I just order 1" rivets?

I'd say get 1", you can always cut them back but it's hard to add length if you need it :) and the price is usually quite similar.

And don't nip any off until you set the burr washer, the ends are tapered so the washer goes on easily. Get the 1" for your app.

Art

OK guys, that's what I needed to know. Gonna order some 3/4" #14s from Weaver. So, I'll nip off about 1/8". Is that practical, or should I just order 1" rivets?

Order a #14 size rivet setter too !

OK gents, thanks again. So, what's the procedure? The washer slips over the rivet, then needs to be "set". How do you set it? Then you nip and peen (pien?) over the rivet. Then round off the dome. Which part does a setting tool do?

Sorry for the dumb questions, but I'm in the dark...moving forward, but groping.

Doug

Here are some peening instructions

http://www.forth-armoury.com/research/peen...een_a_rivet.htm

http://www.cowboyway.com/HowTo/BlevinsBuckles4.htm

It isn't hard to do. Get good nippers because it can be difficult to nip the rivet.

:red_bandana::red_bandana::red_bandana:

Oh, yeah! You have all been so patient and helpful. I feel like I'm ready to put some rubber on the road! I'll post some updates when I have something to show.

Daggrim

Oh, yeah! You have all been so patient and helpful. I feel like I'm ready to put some rubber on the road! I'll post some updates when I have something to show.

Daggrim

just a li'l sidebar ol chap,get a folgers coffee can,size [big]n throw yer snips of copper in th can,it'll help when you retire by then it'll be full and you can sell to scrap dealers.believe it or no i've filled three,got good return also pete

Bruce I’m interested in the Douglas set you mentioned. Where might I find one to purchase?

Oh, and I like your anvil…I’ve been using an NC shoeing anvil for over 26 years.

Bree thank you for the instruction links. My son is starting to make his own armor and he’ll enjoy looking at the forth armory site…too bad they’re out of business now

ken

Ken,

I like the NC too. Easy to handle, heavy enough to do the job. I guess these guys like the new aluminum base anvils, but I expect this one will outlive me. You can get the rivet sets directly from Bob Douglas (307-737-2222) or from his daughter Vandy at Sheridan Leather Outfitters (307-834-8279). You can buy the three piece set, or the head domer individually.