Sign in to follow this  
jmcmahan

Best String cutter & beveler

I am just getting started in braiding.I would like to have ya'll's opinion on the best

string cutter to buy,and if possible why you think so.

Thanks in advance,

Jim

Wow you have got tons of looks but no help. I don't have near enough experience to really have an opinion, but I will relay what I recall others saying. The Hansen one seems very popular but not for the faint of wallet (about $400). It has the advantage of being all 3 in one tool. The ones linked on Gail Hought's site look to be similar but you have to buy 2 tools vs one so they are even more expensive. (about $300 ea)

I have the $10 plastic one from Tandy, it works ok once you get the hang of it. It will not bevel or split though.

Mike

Jim

I have a Brain Nuebert string cutter/beveler. I like it because it has a dail to adjust the width. Which makes it pretty easy to adjust the width a hair if needed. The only down side is the cost (400.00) Just my .o2cents worth.

Mike

I just cut my lace with a Aussie Strander then I have these little jigs made up of scrap steel one I use to resize and taper the stretched lace the other to bevel it....I posted the pictures big so people can see to copy them if they wish

Tony

DSCN4118001.jpg

DSCN4120001.jpg

DSCN4121001.jpg

post-5109-1234516151_thumb.jpg

post-5109-1234516171_thumb.jpg

post-5109-1234516198_thumb.jpg

Howdy;

I have had good luck with the lacemaster, it seems to cut string very well and puts a good bevle on it. I have made both giant austrailian field mouse (kangaroo) and rawhide lace.

I am very happy with the lacemaster but I still wonder if the neubert cutter might be a little better.

I think the neubert string cutter is the best of the hanson style cutters. I would reccomend either the lacemaster or the neubert.

http://www.lacemaster.com/

http://www.bryanneubert.com/HTML/videos.htm

Howdy;

I have had good luck with the lacemaster, it seems to cut string very well and puts a good bevle on it. I have made both giant austrailian field mouse (kangaroo) and rawhide lace.

I am very happy with the lacemaster but I still wonder if the neubert cutter might be a little better.

I think the neubert string cutter is the best of the hanson style cutters. I would reccomend either the lacemaster or the neubert.

http://www.lacemaster.com/

http://www.bryanneubert.com/HTML/videos.htm

Steve,

I looked at the Neubert cutter through the thread you provided, but I can't see from the pic's how it really works. Does it do more than the LaceMaster?

Bob

hidepounder

I'm not sure what the lacemaster does. But with Mr. Neuberts string cutter you just turn the dail to adjust the width you want your string cut at. Then when you get ready to bevel you turn the stop around so the notch is faceing your razor blade. Which allows you to bevel really narrow strings. I plan on having a machine shop cut me another angle in the barrel. So that I have another option on my bevel. For ease of use and the great job it does I think it's well worth the money.

Mike

I think that no matter the cost, any cutter/beveler will save so much time that it's really worth it if you are serious about producing good braided peices.

I purchased a hansen on ebay last fall, and I love it. I love having a splitter there aswell. When I'm cutting strings, I need to use only one other tool to get them ready, the rest is done on the hansen. It makes the strings so much more consistant.

I thought about the lacemaster, but I didn't like the way that the beveler looked like it worked. Looked like it could be a pain, and you need to have SHARP blades to bevel roo hide. With the hansen, I just put in a shaving razor and I can shave off what ever I need.

My 2 cents.

hidepounder

I'm not sure what the lacemaster does. But with Mr. Neuberts string cutter you just turn the dail to adjust the width you want your string cut at. Then when you get ready to bevel you turn the stop around so the notch is faceing your razor blade. Which allows you to bevel really narrow strings. I plan on having a machine shop cut me another angle in the barrel. So that I have another option on my bevel. For ease of use and the great job it does I think it's well worth the money.

Mike

Thanks Mike, sounds like they both do the same things. I'm a tool junkie and have to know all about something new to me! LOL!

Thanks Mike, sounds like they both do the same things. I'm a tool junkie and have to know all about something new to me! LOL!

Hi, I use the combination cutter beveler from Jim Downey, Skull Vally Ariz. see his ad in the LCSJ. I liked the small one so much that I bought the large one, cost about $80 as I recall, cut and bevels at the same time, then turn the strap around and just bevel the other side. Quick and accurate. JL

I've been using the Australian Strander, but the inventor's son has come up with something that a lot of people in Australia and beyond, are raving about. The price is right and he also makes a hand stripper also. The neat thing about his strander is that you just feed the hide in without struggling to feed a pre-cut tip into the space between the "fence" and the blade. I'm about to order both.

Send these folks an email and they will promptly answer with pictures if you ask.

Dene & Maureen Williams

The prices are AUD$105 plus postage of at least AUD$15.

denewhips@bigpond.com