Freddo

Siegel vs. Zack White

I am interested in purchasing some leather. I am looking to make some messgenger bags and portfolios in similar taste to Mr. Santor and Andy's bags.

I had planned on purchasing from Zack White, and was going to get one 5-6 oz Premium Steer Double Shoulder and one 6-7 oz Premium Steer Double Shoulder...

My problem is that Zack's web site won't allow me to create an account during the checkout process (or from their main page). It continues to say I am entering the wrong pass code or the user name is already in use (and I entered 12 variations, and I am entering the correct pass code that is shown). I suspect there is something wrong with their sign-up routine at the moment.

I was wondering whether which people preferred, Siegel or Zack White?

What leather product from Siegel's is considered the cleanest for tooling in the 5-6 and 6-7 oz range?

Thanks in advance

Fred

Freddo

My name is Larry Ray, otherwise known as Bassi here at the boards. I am the webmaster for Zack White Leather. First I would like to thank you for the heads up about the possible script problem with the site. Sometimes it is almost impossible to know if we are having glitches until the problem shows itself. Now that you have let us know we are taking steps to eliminate this problem. so you and others will not have to suffer with this type of frustration.

I have seen the hides you are talking about and they are exceptionally clean hides. They have been squared to eliminate waste. The hides are indeed PREMIUM. They are U.S. hides that are tanned in Mexico. The front and back of these hides are of exceptional quality.

Even though I do not know anything about the other supplier you are referring to I know that Zack White's Premium Shoulders will not leave you lacking in quality.

Give the store a call if you are still having difficulty in logging in. They will be more than happy to assist you with your order. Again I would like to thank you for your comments and heads up about the login script.

Edited by Bassi

Wow..looks like the vendors are paying attention to this board!

Freddo,

I would like to let you know that I recently received a leather order from Zack White's. I ordered 3/4 oz and 5/6 oz single shoulder and the leather was superb. Now my frame of reference is stuff I ordered on sale at Tandy. It is like night and day. I live in NJ and don't have the luxury of having a leather store nearby where I can physically see it. I will only order leather from Zack's going forward. I felt that I got a great deal for the quality that I received. I'm sure if you do a thread search you will find a lot of varying opinions on where to get your leather, depending on application. I'm just throwing my two cents in and letting you know I was impressed with my order. Hope it helps.

TinyL

TinyL;

I just got in a large order from Zack Whites as well. Tim is a great guy to work with. I'm sure you will be pleased in your future dealings.

Stay safe.

I have had good luck buying from Seigel of California they have always sent me good leather, they pay the shipping and will pay the shipping to return it if you dont like the leather. They usually have good prices

Well, the web master was nice enough to set me up with a ZW account, and I placed my order yesterday for a 5/6 and 6/7 premium hide, so hopefully I will be as pleased as others.

I definitely know what folks mean with respect to Tandy, I've bought 3 hides on sale from Tandy and am very interested in seeing the difference in hide quality.

Fred

Well, the web master was nice enough to set me up with a ZW account, and I placed my order yesterday for a 5/6 and 6/7 premium hide, so hopefully I will be as pleased as others.

I definitely know what folks mean with respect to Tandy, I've bought 3 hides on sale from Tandy and am very interested in seeing the difference in hide quality.

Fred

Well it's been over 1 month, but Zack White finally got in their steer hides, and I should receive them on Tuesday or Wednesday. Looking forward to seeing my first non-tandy hides.

Fred

Most everything I have in the shop came from Weavers or Zack Whites. Tim is a great guy to work with. In fact he called me today & said his leather came in. It took awhile on this order but my 10 double shoulders should be in around Wed of next week. You can't go wrong with this outfit.

All I can say is wow!

I received my order (a 5-6 and 6-7 OZ Double steer shoulders) from ZW today, and it was worth the wait!

I now understand what a clean hide is. Up until now I had gotten my hides at the local Tandy store.

The hides are super clean, and the 6-7 OZ hide was HUGE. Very impressed with the quality.

Fred