anester05

Making a laptop case

I have a 17in beast of a laptop that I want to make a case for. I was looking at buying the Al Stohlman "Art of making leather cases Vol 2". Will this be the right Vol or should I get one of the other two. Also do I really need this book, It looks simple enough to me. For the inside of the case I want to make is soft, would sheep's wool work well or will I be fishing wool out of my laptop? Any suggestions. Thanks

I am going to use 8-10 oz cullatta on this, Does that sound about the right thickness?

Adam

I just purchased Vol II with the same intent as you, but my laptop is smaller. I think of the 3 volumes, Vol II is definitely the one you want, though if you use the brief case pattern as i intend to, you will need to make it wider and probably taller. Accordingly, zipper length and everything else would need to be adjusted.

If you score a better pattern, be sure and post it.

Cheers,

Adam

Adam,

You may find a slim, slip in, neoprene computer case gives more protection than a sheepskin lining - and it won't bung your ports up with fluff! LOL

Ray

I have a 17in beast of a laptop that I want to make a case for. I was looking at buying the Al Stohlman "Art of making leather cases Vol 2". Will this be the right Vol or should I get one of the other two. Also do I really need this book, It looks simple enough to me. For the inside of the case I want to make is soft, would sheep's wool work well or will I be fishing wool out of my laptop? Any suggestions. Thanks

I am going to use 8-10 oz cullatta on this, Does that sound about the right thickness?

Adam

Adam,

You may find a slim, slip in, neoprene computer case gives more protection than a sheepskin lining - and it won't bung your ports up with fluff! LOL

Ray

I wouldn't use sheepskin, as the fluff will find its way inside the laptop and over time cause too much heat build up. Ray's idea of a neoprene sleeve is good, or you can pad the case with 1/8" or 1/4" neoprene and thin lining.

ed

I wouldn't use sheepskin, as the fluff will find its way inside the laptop and over time cause too much heat build up. Ray's idea of a neoprene sleeve is good, or you can pad the case with 1/8" or 1/4" neoprene and thin lining.

ed

I seen a lap top case that was lined with poly fiber, that you quilt with, u can cut it to any size an farely cheap, it was contact cemented in place than a lining of thin leather cover it. it made a soft inside for protection of the lap top n the firm leather out side protected from most bumbs n scraps plus it was easily to clean, just wipe it out, as for al stohlman case books get all three, each one will help u with ur project they all have different tecnics and patterns just look n make one your own style

Adam

I'll agree with the other commenters in that you should not use sheepskin or even suede on the interior. I plan on using a thick garment hide over strategically placed pad inserts (investigating options still) stitched in. I think it can be done without adding additional stitching.

I'd reiterate though that you'll likely need to adjust the pattern to fit your laptop. Make a mock-up of paper or cardboard when you've finished with the pattern before you cut out the leather... just in case something went awry.

:)

Thanks for the input, Tandy has a sale this month to buy all 3 Stohlman books for $33 which is a decent deal so I got them all. Now its just deciding what style to make this with? Do I want a zipper or just top flap? What style handle do I want to make. So many decisions so little time :) Right now I'm trying to decide if I want to try and make my own pattern to carve into the front or use one of the Stohlman patterns.

Edited by anester05

Thanks for the input, Tandy has a sale this month to buy all 3 Stohlman books for $33 which is a decent deal so I got them all. Now its just deciding what style to make this with? Do I want a zipper or just top flap? What style handle do I want to make. So many decisions so little time :) Right now I'm trying to decide if I want to try and make my own pattern to carve into the front or use one of the Stohlman patterns.

I would go with just a flap top. Zippers tend to scratch the finish on the outside of the laptop.

I made a case for my computer. It's the same design as the Indy bag. Works great. Doesn't have a liner in it yet but haven't found what I want to use so for now I just use a towel till I can find the right stuff. I agree about the sheep skin. Too much fluff. Any ways theres a post of it somewhere on this forum. I'll try and insert a link to it but dont count on it working cause when it comes to computers I suck. Well I cant seem to get it right. Bummer. It's in the purse and wallet thread under "Indiana Jones bag, one piece bag". I also put a pattern in here too in the patterns thread.

Tom

Found it. It's not in the patterns thread it's at the end of the indy bag thread. Sorry.

Tom

Check out some of my bags www.neveshorses.com. I custom make laptop bags for people. Let me know if you're interested I could sell you a pattern

i made a case for a labtop that was 15 inches i took one pice of leather 36 inches long lined it with a pig split and then i put in 3inches for the gusset and then laced up the sided looked really good

I used to have Vol 2 around here somewhere. If I remember right, A.S. used 6/7 oz for the main bag. By the time you line it with a 2 1/2 oz, ya got 9/10. Your bag will be - what - 20-21 inches? You might be okay, but I'd want a young guy with me to carry it :)

That's my take ... 6/7 and line with 2/3 oz veg tan (goat?). Maybe a couple of sewn-in dividers around the laptop, keep it in place.

You could always add wheels, and a harness that would attach to the dog's collar. This - or course - should be discussed with the dog ...

I am working on a 'skeleton' computer case; almost like a leather wrap. I am designing it for a friend of mine who mentors youths in his church. He is teaching them computer technology and he just got a 12.1" Averatec laptop. We talked about a computer bag, but I guess kids are into carrying their stuff by hand (or at least this one is); we eventually decided on a simple skeletal case. I am lining it with suede and making some small storage compartments, business cards, etc. I will eventually share it with my leather guild at a meeting for a project.

Down the road, I can see it get on her or maybe another publishing newsletter. I haven't decided.

LCSJ will get my money for a subscription, but I doubt it will see any of my projects (long story).

I will try to post some pictures here when I get the prototype done and read to deliver.

Good luck.