Sign in to follow this  
Vikti

3 legged stool

I'm looking to make myself a stool for work when I have to work on wall plugs and I was wondering if anyone had a pattern to share or tell me the best dimensions for a stool. I know that the pockets for the legs needs to be bigger than the seat piece but by how much?

Thanks all,

Damon

Damon, I have made couple of these stools now, I make them 300mm/12" each side and make the leg holders 100mm/4". I use 25mm/1" or 3/4" dowel for the legs, depends on your weight. I use 1/4" stainless bolts welded in a Y configuration to fix the legs together. Cheer's Darryl

S6000475.JPG

S6000533.JPG

S6000530.JPG

post-7179-1235297197_thumb.jpg

post-7179-1235297236_thumb.jpg

post-7179-1235297267_thumb.jpg

I make quite a few of these stools - the picture is of the batch I finished this weekend. My legs are always 2ft long with the hole for the tri-bolt drilled halfway. I get the legs made by a wood turner which isn't cheap but they look much better than anything I can make myself.

IMHO, the best way to design one of these is to built a tripod from broom handles and use it to work out how large a seat you want to make. I make the pocket pieces exactly the same size as the rest of the pattern and it works fine for me. Check out the picture.

I order the tri-bolts in quantity so if anyone wants any please get in touch by PM. They are not too expensive but, being quite heavy items, shipping can add a bit.

IMG_0374.jpg

post-6314-1235316111_thumb.jpg

dumb question time -

if you make them out of heavy leather - does the seat fold up with the legs or does it come off and you flold the legs up seperate from the seat?

I could use one of these.....

dumb question time -

if you make them out of heavy leather - does the seat fold up with the legs or does it come off and you flold the legs up seperate from the seat?

I could use one of these.....

I generally take the seat off the legs and wrap it around them. I have been known to attach a strap to the seat to tie it all together... I even added a shoulder strap for an artist who wanted to carry it on his shoulder as his hands were full of easel and paints. I guess you just do whatever works for you. They are surprisingly comfortable though.

Luke makes his stools a little taller than mine and he sews his 'pockets' on whilst I use a heavy lacing. Like I say, whatever works. Have fun.

edit due to my inability to spell

Edited by UKRay

I generally take the seat off the legs and wrap it around them. I have been known to attach a strap to the seat to tie it all together... I even added a shoulder strap for an artist who wanted to carry it on his shoulder as his hands were full of easel and paints. I guess you just do whatever works for you. They are surprisingly comfortable though.

Luke makes his stools a little taller than mine and he sews his 'pockets' on whilst I use a heavy lacing. Like I say, whatever works. Have fun.

edit due to my inability to spell

Thanks Ray - I "think" I still have a el- cheapo nylon one around here that the top ripped on - (my big fat self wasn't too good on the cheap nylon)

If It is still hanging around I might make a seat for it.

Summer camping event and it would be nice to have a small stool to carry around instead of those bag chairs.

I take it you punch holes for it before you start - or do you punch as you go?

Even IF I never make it I like to have "knowledge" of lots of things

thanks

suze

thanks Ray. the legs on mine are 32" long and hole for the tri bolts are 12" ftomstool__3_003.jpg the top.you will see that i sew mine

post-1906-1235331438_thumb.jpg

I take it you punch holes for it before you start - or do you punch as you go?

That depends: are you lacing or sewing?

don't know

which do you think would hold up better - I'm about 200 lbs or so......

don't know

which do you think would hold up better - I'm about 200 lbs or so......

I don't think it would make much difference. A few years back I sold one of my stools to a guy who went at least 300lbs and he still uses it regularly. That one was thong laced. Luke's stitched stools are superb and I can't see anyone ever having problems with those either. If you are going to lace then IMHO you should use at least 1/4" thongs cut from the same quality leather you made the seat from - 3.5mm thick is my favorite but I can't work that out in US - can anyone help here?

no need to "work it out" it's 3.5 mm thick

You just have to go shopping with a tape measure.....

A 1/4" WAS USED ON MINE.

What I'm going to do for holding the legs together is tap a 9/16" hex nut with a 3/8" holes on every other side and screw the bolts into the new holes on the nut. I live in an apartment so any kind of welding is a no-no.

But thanks for the opinions all!

Damon

I'm going to add my comments here:

My husband and I both are well over 200 lbs, and neither of us has broken one of these chairs. They are comfortable, and I've made about a dozen of them. I first bought the kit Tandy used to sell, and when they stopped I was able to get a couple tri-bolts and made some more. With those, I used thick (shoe sole?) leather. I punched the holes with a round punch, and then stitched them with rawhide (aka latigo) lace which Tandy still sells I believe.

I actually have a cut out I'd made of the pattern, if you'd like I'll trace it and (postal) mail it to you.

But 9/16" is larger than 3/8" so how can you tap it smaller?

Tony.

He's just using the 9/16 as a hub to drill and tap to receive the 3/8 bolts

He could use a 5/8 bolt if he wanted to, or bigger - he just wants something with 6 sides so he can drill/tap into 3 (every other) of the flats.

Now, that seems a great idea. Lateral thinking at it's best!!!

Tony.

LOL that's what I thought too ... here I was trying to think of who I could get to machine up an overly complicated three sided hub etc etc etc

Simple is goot ;0)

I hope this isn't a dumb question, but is there a supplier for tri-bolts here in the US? And what is the average cost?

I would really like to see a picture of a tri bolt if anyone has one.