KitKat

Saddle fit & Custom Tree?

Hi Everyone, I just found these boards yesterday. All I can say is....

:You_Rock_Emoticon:

Anyhoo, I'm in the process of getting ready to build my first saddle and am really excited about it!! I've had some leather tooling classes years ago (loved it) and have been sitting in a saddle work/play for darn near 40 years. In that time, I've had to make quite a few repairs, and have taken apart and put back together several REALLY old saddles just to to have a look, so hopefully this wont turn out to be to daunting of a process.

I guess my first question now begins with saddle fit.

My mare is of the old bulldog variety QH, broad shoulders, no wither, short backed and just a tad bit butt high.. I have been through 1/2 dozen or so saddles looking for one that fit. Most trees I have found are to narrow and they bridge or they bounce up and down badly on her back. The only saddle I found that fit through the gullet was at 7 1/2. Rather than go through another 1/2 dozen I've decided to have a tree made for her and build the saddle myself.

I've been reading about the "Hadlock & Fox" Plaster blankets that are also used for building a custom tree. Was wondering if anyone had any experience with them, and if getting her fit in this way would be the best thing to do...

Was also wondering about her body condition. She is just now being put back to work after an injury last fall. She had gained quite a bit of weight due to inactivity and am also wondering if Now would be a good time to have her fitted, or should this wait until she is down to her regular condition. She doesnt have much of a top line, so thats one of my concerns and if this would effect the tree.....

:whatdoyouthink:

Thanks,

Cheryl

Hi Cheryl,

Welcome to the board!

Do yourself a favor and and have an indeph look through the topics in the categories "Choosing the rigt saddle for the horse" and "saddle supplies, tools, and trees". There are lots of topics about how to fit a tree. Pay special attention to the topics discussing the "Dennis Lane card profiling cards".

Hope this helps to get you started.

Tosch

Edited by Tosch

I like the DL system. Finally a tool that works, that a tree maker can also work with and is not thousands od $$$$

Edited by StolpSaddles