ClayB

Monthly floral pattern (March)

Participation in the February carving challenges was really better than I had expected, so we're going to try it again. This month's pattern is a Sheridan style corner pattern from Clay Miller. This pattern can be used on any project of your choice, or just on as a practice piece. As with last month, you can carve this however you like, modify the pattern to suit your needs or style. I hope that some of you will give it a try and share your pictures with us.

sheridan_corner.jpg

post-12-1204394310_thumb.jpg

Nice pattern, Clay.

As soon as I resize it, I'll get to it....oh yeah, and as soon as my leather gets here....

p.s. where's the figure carving challenge?????

Edited by TwinOaks

any results/winners from the last or did I miss it?

pete

There are no winners. This is just for fun.

I'll try and get a figure carving pattern up soon.

Ok Clay this is embarrassing but how do I resize this pattern down to like 50% or 75%... I printed it out and it would not fit on a normal page. Thanks!

here ya go scouter, i resized it so it is now 15cm x 21cm is that small enough?

sheridan_corner.jpg

post-4514-1204449018_thumb.jpg

Hey, no fair! I was gonna resize it....

Thanks Leatherloo, ya saved me some time!

Scouter, I pulled the page to a graphics prog, and it already is the 'right' size....it seems okay if you save it to a file. I had a blown up image too, trying to print from the screen (here), but once I downloaded the file, it printed straight away, with no resizing needed.

Here is what I have accomplished so far this week. I'm thinking on adding some antique, but I wanted to show how it looked through my process. You may notice that mine looks a little different than the pattern provided, but the overall design is in the same ballpark.

TM

March_1.JPG Drawing out design on leather.

March_2.JPG Carving design.

March3.JPG Adding thumbprint.

March_4.JPG Beveling lines.

March_5.JPG Background and detail stamping with decorative cuts.

March_6.JPG Oiled.

post-5335-1204606135_thumb.jpg

post-5335-1204606146_thumb.jpg

post-5335-1204606161_thumb.jpg

post-5335-1204606168_thumb.jpg

post-5335-1204606176_thumb.jpg

post-5335-1204606180_thumb.jpg

Very cool! I have been nervously waiting to see how everyone does this pattern.

good job.

ClayM.

Nice job Tracy. See you opened up the space around the flower.

Roo, Twin, - Thanks much but when I print it out it still cuts off corners! I tried resizing via the printer but all I get is a smaller print with corners cut off! :no:

I got into leatherworking because it was more my speed :head_hurts_kr:

Roo, Twin, - Thanks much but when I print it out it still cuts off corners! I tried resizing via the printer but all I get is a smaller print with corners cut off! :no:

I got into leatherworking because it was more my speed :head_hurts_kr:

here it is even smaller

sheridan_corner.jpg

post-4514-1204698766_thumb.jpg

Hey Roo, how do like that? Men complaining about size again!!!!

Hi everyone,

It seams like some is having a size problem:-) If you're having a photo program on the computer I make a small tutorial for resizing pictures that works on most of these photo programs:

1. Open up the picture in your program. "File then open" then search for the picture you want to resize.

2. Go to "Image" then "Image size" a new window will show up. here you can usually choose between making the changes in pixels, percent, or if the option comes up with printing size...centimeters, inches, points or percent, pick one that feels OK for you. You only make a change on one of the 2, either width or hight the other one changes accordantly, then press OK...Voila!

Hope this helps a wee bit

Thanks Roo! You're the best... This time it only cut off the bottom inch but I can draw that in! Tina- I usually do that but for some reason I can't resize ART* files. (Whatever the heck they are!) :)

I thought this one looked fun, I tried to keep all the basic elements in place and just come up with a little different version.

DSCN2497a.JPG

post-5526-1204779107_thumb.jpg

Redding, now that's just down right nice work! Super smooth, super clean. All your lines converge so beautifully into the circles and radius with excellent flow. Nice!

Jon

I thought this one looked fun, I tried to keep all the basic elements in place and just come up with a little different version.

DSCN2497a.JPG

:surrender: I'm out...

DSCN2497a.JPG

Awesome carving, this is something I would like to aim towards :-)

quote name='SCOUTER' date='Mar 2 2008, 01:54 AM' post='33496']

Ok Clay this is embarrassing but how do I resize this pattern down to like 50% or 75%... I printed it out and it would not fit on a normal page. Thanks!

See if either of these help

sheridan_corner__Medium_.jpgsheridan_corner__Large_.jpg

post-12-1204812265_thumb.jpg

post-12-1204812284_thumb.jpg

rember you can put it in a pic file and then print it 8x10 or 5x7 or 4x6 ezzzzzzzzzzzz

russ

DSCN2497a.JPG

Jim,

That is some really nice carving! The changes you made to the pattern are also really nice. Not sure what else you can say about that.

Clay

Looks like a guy is going to have to work a little bit here. Jim, I really like your fillers in the stem work where it splits off. That's some good. I am needing to do a 4 floral corner clock in the next couple weeks, and this pattern looks like it is gonna kinda sorta work. Thanks Clay and Clay.

Clay, Both worked GREAT... Thanks!