RockyWolf

Westen Hat Pattens

Getting quite disparate for some westen hat pattens as I keep getting asked about can you do one for me... so thought I would ask before setting out and buying some hats to rip apart and make my own up.. Tandy used to do a set at one stage but I'm show my age up now LOL

David Wolf

Getting quite disparate for some westen hat pattens as I keep getting asked about can you do one for me... so thought I would ask before setting out and buying some hats to rip apart and make my own up.. Tandy used to do a set at one stage but I'm show my age up now LOL

David Wolf

The South Central Leathercrafters Guild has this page with patterns for a "Maverick" hat: Gambler

There are also quite a few other patterns found on the FLASAH files page here.

L'Bum

Hi!, not free, but something I want to try soon http://www.bighousedaddy.com/making_a_leather_hat.htm (and cheaper than buying one & ripping it apart thumbsup.gif

good luck!

Tracy

Thanking you L'Bum and Tracy for the links most helpful I dislike having to rip things apart to get pattens but some times this has to be done but I think I have got what I need to do the Job now with out having to do this Thanks

David Wolf

I think I have got what I need to do the Job now with out having to do this Thanks

David Wolf

Having made a couple of hats in the past. I used an article from a mid 70s leather magazine. From what I can see on the gambler hat page the tandy instructions are almost, if not the same. As you make your patterns, a bit of modifiying will mean you can use the free gambler pattern for almost any style. For example to make a high crowned pinched front just point the top piece of the hat and raise the front of the hat portions. for a narrow top both front and back just narrow the top piece in front and back. For an Indy Jones type use a 2.5 inch brim a pinched crown and a very slight rise in the front for the height. After you finish put a black leather band on the outside and you are finished.

Hats are pretty simple if you take your time and remember that the hole in the brim for your head must be larger than your head and if using veg. tan should be shaped like your head which probably isn't a perfect oval.

Thanks PeterD I'm having fun playing around with the template from the gambler pattern a pinched front is what I am trying to modify this and like you said in your post I'm finding this pattern a very good starting point for almost anything.. loads of fun messing with some very heavy card and hard thinking going on regarding how you get a easy way to pinch it in right a wooden former and clamp comes to mind to mould it to the right shape before stitching as I now have a back log of orders for this type of hat..Thanking you all for your input one of my main reasons of coming on the forum was to make projects that I have never done before... I now have my laptop next to the bench as it's becoming a useful part of my tool set...

Edited by RockyWolf