Sign in to follow this  
kiwidownunder

Grand old Sailing Ship. The Cutty Sark.

This a Carving I did in New Zealand. It is around 36" x 28" and had lots of added details, such as all the sails, ropes and ladders, etc.

I ended up doing two this size, and then two smaller ones. Each one was different in some way. I did the first one just for the fun of doing the ropes and sails. Sorry the photo is not better. A little fuzzy. Enjoy and happy carving.

Kiwi. :coffeecomp:

33166.JPG

post-8662-1235884978_thumb.jpg

I love sailing ships and when at school I drew one and I thought it was great until the teacher took the wind out of my sails by pointing out that sailing ships flags point the way the wind is blowing. I still think you Cutty Sark is great though.

Tony.

Amazing, it's a treat to see your work. Darryl

Tony,

Your teacher was right, but just as a matter of interest the wind is pushing the ship forward, which depending on how many sails, sail sizes, and the speed, the flags would be blown in the direction of the wind created by the forward motion, and movement of the ship. So you see both ways are correct really.

Kiwi :coffeecomp:

Edited by kiwidownunder

You should have told the teacher that the ship was on tack.

Wow that's really good!

Great work!

My dad would have loved this... he built model ships including several versions of the Cutty Sark. There's something about water, sailing ships, and voyages that stir the imagination of many of us. I love it!

Bob

You should have told the teacher that the ship was on tack.
i sat on a tack once ,quick reverseal too!nice work eh kiwi pete

Great work!

My dad would have loved this... he built model ships including several versions of the Cutty Sark. There's something about water, sailing ships, and voyages that stir the imagination of many of us. I love it!

Bob

Yep I agree there is just something about the water with sailing ships. I think that they are a beautiful sight to see. I have never being on one, so that must be a thrill and a half. That is cool that your father made model ships.

Thanks you all.

Kiwi.

Hi Kiwi,

Your painting skills are amazing! The shadows on the sails and the ship are really great. So, the added details you mentioned, the sails, ropes, ladders, are they added after the carving? I went to your site and saw the picture where you add the real hair to the horse mane, or the crown of real thorns. I think we're not seeing a lot of the really cool details in your pictures. Next time you do one of these, I hope you take a lot more pictures so we can really see all that you put into your art. You do some really cool stuff!