bruce johnson

Purse Patterns - Bruce Johnson

A couple weeks ago Randy Cornelius asked me to post the purse pattern book I made up a few years ago. A little injury and some forced time out of the shop gave me the time to find my last remaining book and get it scanned in this morning. I think I printed up and mailed about 450 of these a few years back. These are some patterns I have used in the past, and still do. Some things I have changed, mostly the tooling patterns. The techniques have pretty much stayed the same. It is about 35 pages or so, and a big file - 15 MB. If I was more computer literate I could probably make it easier.

Bruce_Johnson_Purse_Patterns.pdf

Bruce_Johnson_Purse_Patterns.pdf

Thanks Bruce!

This will really come in handy.

I made this bag for my wife. It's not a purse but made to carry her pistol, ammo, hearing protection and eye protection. The bags we looked at in the store were either too small or too big so I made her one. This has a hard bottom to support the ammo. That was a pain sewing with that in the purse. I also padded the sides and bottom with foam. Next time I'll make the bottom separate and place it in the bag after I sew it. Live and learn.

This was also the first time that I've used a zipper. I was worried that it would be real tricky to do but no problem!

Art

Gun_Bag_1.jpg

Gun_Bag_2.jpg

Gun_Bag_3.jpg

Gun_Bag_4.jpg

post-195-1235933664_thumb.jpg

post-195-1235933676_thumb.jpg

post-195-1235933688_thumb.jpg

post-195-1235933700_thumb.jpg

Edited by ArtS

thanks Bruce thats great stuff.

Josh

Thanks very much Bruce, some very handy tips in the front section.

It is very griseous of you to share your book… I take my hat of to you sir.

Thanks Bruce

RussH

Thanks alot Bruce!!

You're very generous!!!

Tom

Bruce

Thanks a lot!!!!!! I need to make a purse or two and this will come in handy. Very nice of ya to share. I hope your injury aint to bad and ya can get back in the shop.

Mike

Mr. Bruce

I appreciate the gesture of sharing your patterns.

Greetings from Round Rock, Texas

It's a great little book, Thank you Bruce I think everyone here will be able to use it one way or another. You should talk to Hidecrafter and start selling it. O'well everyone can get it here for free now. LOL

Thanks again Bruce.

Randy

Bruce that's very nice of you. My wife has been after me to make her a purse and I haven't had a pattern. I was going to cut apart one of her purses to use it for a pattern, but no need to now. Thanks

Bruce,

Thank you for your generosity, it is greatly appreciated.

Steve

Awesome resource and Thank You!

A couple weeks ago Randy Cornelius asked me to post the purse pattern book I made up a few years ago. A little injury and some forced time out of the shop gave me the time to find my last remaining book and get it scanned in this morning. I think I printed up and mailed about 450 of these a few years back. These are some patterns I have used in the past, and still do. Some things I have changed, mostly the tooling patterns. The techniques have pretty much stayed the same. It is about 35 pages or so, and a big file - 15 MB. If I was more computer literate I could probably make it easier.

Bruce or anyone else that had made this purse...I need some clarification.

I am making the Tooled Leather Purse in Bruce's pattern book. I am at the point where I am going to attach the chap leather. Can anyone that has made this purse send me some more pictures of the side where the chap meets the tooled part? Maybe the zipper and well? I am looking to see if the chap leather was turned in a bit before it was stitched to the tooled side, so it gives it a clean edge? Sorry, I am a visual person.

Any help would surely be apprecaited.

:You_Rock_Emoticon:

I have done them both ways. If you turn that chap leather it is harder to get a nice sew line. It can be done but go slow.

If you don't turn the edge, you can leave a little of the gusset over the edge and trim flush when you are done. Then you can run an edger over both sides and slick it. I dye some, and some I don't. If I dye then do it first. Then apply the slicking agent of choice. I usually use an application of Ron's edge dressing followed by a rub of my mix of paraffin and beeswax melted together. Then run a slicking rag or hardwood slicker over the edge to polish it up.

I don't think I have any photo angles of the end or zipper in this computer.

Cool, thanks Bruce!

Great pattern. I will post pictures when I am done.

Bruce,

I thank you for this. If you would post your paypal I (and hopefully a few others) would send you a few dollars.

Aaron

Aaron,

I appreciate the offer, but would make a suggestion. Rather than pay me anything, paypal to the forum so we don't have to run the coffee water through the grounds again.

Bruce

In the process of down loading the book as I write. Anything I can add to my lib. is a plus. Thanks!

lj

Hey Bruce, I still have mine that you sent back when you first made the book up. I remember right after then some sorry rascule, was trying to sell on E-Bay, what you had so unselfishly given to start with. Those type people need to have their butts whipped with a dead Carp, until their butth**e bleeds. Thanks for offering it again and especially to so many more people have access to it thru the internet and forum. Another example of how unselfish you and a lot of others on the forum are. Again thanks, Billy P

Bruce I cannot get the link to work. Just wondering if there is anything I am doing wrong.

Thanks