ClayB

Monthly Figure carving challenge (March)

Here is another pattern sent to me by Tina. It is actually a zebra, but the stripes aren't on the pattern. It looks kind of challenging, but I hope some people will give it a try (I intend to) Next month's pattern will be simpler, I promise.

zebra1.jpg

post-12-1204418361_thumb.jpg

Thanks Clay.....really. <g> Yep, challenging is certainly a word for it. whoo the embossing on this one is gonna be murder...but you'll show us how it's done, right?

Geezzz....

I missed the stripes. Give me a day or so and I'll post a picture here with the stripes (or make it a donkey *s*)

By that time I'll be done- NO DONKEY!!!! unless you like striped donkeys!!!! Just about set for the cova white. will post soon.

By that time I'll be done- NO DONKEY!!!! unless you like striped donkeys!!!! Just about set for the cova white. will post soon.

No donkey huh? *LOL*

I got the picture done for those who like to use it.

zebra2.gif

post-5624-1204443662_thumb.jpg

Here's mine- appologies for not taking pics of the naked carving. I got all excited about my first colored carving that I forgot to snap pre-color pix. Sharpie and artists' acrylic on tooled 6/7 vt.

zebra.jpg

post-5374-1204446995_thumb.jpg

Here's mine- appologies for not taking pics of the naked carving. I got all excited about my first colored carving that I forgot to snap pre-color pix. Sharpie and artists' acrylic on tooled 6/7 vt.

zebra.jpg

I Love it:-)

And that quick??? You gotta be superman or something *S*

Wow... I must be sooooo slow. I am working on another project and got the out line done and read this thread about the zebra pattern and the next day boom its there. Your very fast. hmmm maybe its age, but I'd rather not talk about my age lol

OOoooh, I'm gonna try it! I'll probably start it tomorrow.... Does it have to be done by a certain time?

official ending date is the last day of March, but anyone is welcome to do the patterns anytime, even after the month is over.

zebra.jpg

Hey Mike,

That was fast and looks really nice, especially for your first colored project. I am still working on mine, hope to finish the coloring today. Thanks for playing along and getting us all started.

Clay

Ok, here's mine. As I mentioned in the other challenge, I decided to put both patterns together and make a project out of it so it's now a photo album. The coloring is a little brighter than what I am used to but what else can you do with a zebra? I used acrylic on both the zebra and the floral pattern. Overall, I was pretty happy with it.

zebra_020__Large_.jpg

post-12-1205193808_thumb.jpg

Ok, here's mine. As I mentioned in the other challenge, I decided to put both patterns together and make a project out of it so it's now a photo album. The coloring is a little brighter than what I am used to but what else can you do with a zebra? I used acrylic on both the zebra and the floral pattern. Overall, I was pretty happy with it.

zebra_020__Large_.jpg

I really, really like this album Clay.

What you can do to take some brightness away is rub some atiquing over all (if you dare*S*) I dont know if that will be better, just different:-)

Some day I'm going to do this Zebra, just dont have the time for the moment but it came out the way I had hoped for, Awesome:-)

Oh, I dunno, I think Zeeba's are that bright in real life. :D Beautiflu work Clay. I love the sheridan carving! The mixture of the two styles is very eclectic and I like it. Definitely would not have thunk that one up and I have a twisted mind!

Brent

Brent, I was surprised that the two patterns fit together that well, and that they looked good together. Seems like a strange combination. Guess some of the twisted minds here on the forum are rubbing off on me. I dont normally like very bright colors but on this I kinda do. Thanks for the comments.

Tina, I am glad you like how this turned out because I was thinking of giving it away as a "thank you" to the person that provided the patterns for the first two figure carving challenges. I wonder if she'd PM me with an address?

Ok, here's mine.

That looks really nice!

Kate

Superb use of both patterns Clay!

I wouldn't have thought of using them together either, but they almost look like the SHOULD be together!

And a personal thank you to you as well. Your carving as well as some others here have really inspired me to work on my skills.

Keep them beautiful works coming! (I may even try the zebra, even though it intimidates me a bit!)

Brent, I was surprised that the two patterns fit together that well, and that they looked good together. Seems like a strange combination. Guess some of the twisted minds here on the forum are rubbing off on me. I dont normally like very bright colors but on this I kinda do. Thanks for the comments.

Tina, I am glad you like how this turned out because I was thinking of giving it away as a "thank you" to the person that provided the patterns for the first two figure carving challenges. I wonder if she'd PM me with an address?

Wow...*Speachless*

It is like people are saying in here to newcombers, leather workers are as nice people as you ever are going meet:-)

(I may even try the zebra, even though it intimidates me a bit!)

Froghunter,

This pattern intimidated me a little too but I decided to do it anyway (since I was the one that picked it). By doing things we aren't real comfortable with, we learn and grow. This pattern wasn't as difficult as I thought it would be. I hope you will give it a try and if you have any problems with it, just ask for help. It's been fun seeing all the stuff you have been doing and I think you will do just fine on this pattern too. It looks like I'll be doing it again, my daughter loved how the zebra turned out so we decided to do the same pattern on a CD case.

Clay

zebra1.jpg

Here's my submission to the monthly challenge. It was definitely a challenge. This is the kind of thing you need to do to improve your carving and painting skills. I had to look up a photo of a zebra to get the color correct, but the red shadows for the stripes on the pattern were accurate. No two zebras have the same stripes, so any way they go on is acceptable. I have never looked inside the mounth of a zebra to see what color the gums are, so that had to be a guess. Since the muzzle is gray, I decided to go with that color scheme. The shadowing of the muscling should be done before the stipes are painted on. I enjoyed this pattern and hope that lots more people do it before the month is over.

Kathy

post-1462-1205426521_thumb.jpg

Kathy,

Your zebra looks great! I really like the color and shading. It would have been nice if you would have finished it before I colored mine so I could have stole some ideas from you. I did the shading before putting the white on, and it doesn't show through much at all. I hope some more people give this a try too, I learn something from everyone I see. Thanks for playing this time.

Clay

Sorry Clay. you're just too quick for me! You have your zebra made into a photo album, and all I managed was to get it onto a piece of scrap leather in twice the time. You could always make another photo album!

Like you, I did some of the shading before I put on the white (antique white). Phthalo (I think you have to use the raspberry gesture to say that word) blue is what I use for that. Some of that shading wasn't dark enough to please me, so I added a tiny bit of black to some antique white to do a little more shading. That's the beauty of acrylics, you can always add to what doesn't look right.

I had a good time doing this challenge. Hope more people try it out.

Kathy

Clay, Kathy, both of your work is terrific! I learned a lot from your pieces. The detail carving at the muzzle, and the shading really give me something to work on. Thanks so much. I guess it's time to re-carve it with some touch ups!!! This idea of a monthly carving is wonderful- there's just no way I'd have ever thought to carve (and paint) a Zebra otherwise. I guess that's the genius of it, huh? We all get introduced to things that we'd never have done otherwise.

Keep 'em coming, everybody!

Mike

Sorry Clay. you're just too quick for me! You have your zebra made into a photo album, and all I managed was to get it onto a piece of scrap leather in twice the time. You could always make another photo album!

You mean like this Kathy?zebra_022__Large_.jpg

Jessi (my daughter) really liked the first one and tried claiming it, but it already has a home, so I got to do another :yes: That was fine cuz I kinda like this pattern and my boss doesn't seem to want to come back from vacation anyway. There were a few little things I wanted to try differently anyway, like backgrounds. I was thinking of putting a pocket on the back of this one and maybe carving the lion from last months challenge on it, but Jessi said how about a blue tree frog with black spots :blink: Maybe I'll skip the pocket idea :dunno:

Like you, I did some of the shading before I put on the white (antique white). Phthalo (I think you have to use the raspberry gesture to say that word) blue is what I use for that. Some of that shading wasn't dark enough to please me, so I added a tiny bit of black to some antique white to do a little more shading. That's the beauty of acrylics, you can always add to what doesn't look right.

I was pretty happy with my paint job until I saw yours. Now I am gonna have to decide if I want to start all over. I did the shading on the second one a lot darker than the first and it does show up some through the white. Your stripes sure look better than mine and the detail on the nose and mouth on yours are really cool. I printed yours out and will have to see what I can do. I got lots to learn yet!

post-12-1205498951_thumb.jpg

my word yak lady that is awesome.