Sign in to follow this  
johnny7

help with design

Hey Guys, I need some help. I am doing motorcycle seat and want to put some Sheridan carving on it. I am poting a couple of pics of something that I cut up and peiced together. Iam not doing the whole seat in Sheridan, just a small portion of it. Any hlp would greatly be appreciated.

thanks

Johnny

130_2849.JPG

130_2850.JPG

post-4626-1236084499_thumb.jpg

post-4626-1236084529_thumb.jpg

Hey Guys, I need some help. I am doing motorcycle seat and want to put some Sheridan carving on it. I am poting a couple of pics of something that I cut up and peiced together. Iam not doing the whole seat in Sheridan, just a small portion of it. Any hlp would greatly be appreciated.

thanks

Johnny

Uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.. where do you need help? I think it looks great!

Nice carving

pete

I'm not very good at drawing patterns, but I can tell you what I'd try to do. See if you can make the leaf at the bottom come off the stemwork on the left side of the bottom flower. Center that leaf at the bottom and get rid of the stuff that is coming in out of the corners. Then at the top, between the two flowers, I'd add something to finish off the vine so it doesn't look like you just chopped it off. There are some guys on here that are great at Sheridan carving and coming up with patterns. I hope they'll jump in here and give you some ideas.

thanks

Johnny

Johnny, you're on the right track with your approach. If it were me doing that piece, I would make the vine run continuously around the center flower. Then branch off that center vine and run it around the flower on the right. The flower on the left can run the way it is, initiating out of the intersection of the center flower and where it branches off to the flower on the right. Then you would just fill in the area below the center flower with a leaf or two....like you have it now. I think you're going to need to reduce the size of what you have now to make it look right. By doing that, you would be able to run a vine around the flower on the left, making everything a little more symetrical. The link below may be helpful to you when designing a pattern.....at least I hope it is helpful! It is where I was explaining to Alan my approach to laying out a pattern. I would use that same method if I was doiing that seat.

http://leatherworker.net/forum/index.php?a...=&pid=89371

Bob

thanks for the replys. I will post what I come up with and we will try again. Hopefullly tomorrow!!

Johnny

Johnny

Great progress! I would use the pattern on the left. However you need to make the vine go completely around the center flower and then branch off to the two other flowers. That will fix the direction problem with the vine around the flower on the right. The pattern on the right is good except that your starting point is awkward. By drawing the vine in a complete circle around the center flower, your starting point is hidden and the pattern will be balanced. Also, you need to add about twice as many petals to your vines in order to fill in the pattern so that there is not too much background. Take a look at some of the work that's been posted and compare it. You will be able to see what I mean. Also, elongate the petals need to be more elongated. You've done a great job Johnny, just a little tweaking and your there!

Bob

Bob, thanks again for the help. I can see quite an improvement from where I started at. Do you think I could get away with another leave at the start point of the design? By the way, your work is an inspiration for me.

Johnny

130_2869.JPG

post-4626-1236257969_thumb.jpg

Johnny, I think you should eliminate the start point all together. I still think you should make the vine around the center flower a continuous one. The vine for the flower on the right should branch off of the center vine, just like you have it, and then continue on around the flower on the left. Right now the vine on the center flower does not make a continuous circle around the flower. I'm having a hard time explaining what I mean...if I had my computer back I could post a picture of what I mean. Still need to add more petals on all of the vines also. When I start drawing in the petals, I try to make the background area between petals slightly less than the width of the petal. That can vary of course, it's a matter of personal taste, but it gives you an idea of how frequently a petal occurs along the length of the vine. You're almost there! :yes:

Bob

Edited by hidepounder

I think I know what you are talking about. (maybe) I will post again later tonight . thanks for taking the time to help!!