frank207

Name Stamping on Belts/Dog Collars

Hi,

Are there any tricks of the trade in keeping the lettering straight on Belts and Dog Collars without scribing a line into the leather with wing dividers or some other tool? I find however light I scribe a line it shows up after dyeing and when I try smoothing it out with a spoon modeling tool it indents the leather. Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Thanks,

Frank

use a very fine eye, measure 3 times , have a very hard surface. and dont let the letters bounce.

or buy one of the tandy embossers. like this one.

Maybe you could try securing a straight edge to the leather and lining up the stamps against the edge without scribing a line. . .

L'Bum

Edited by Leather Bum

Maybe you could try securing a straight edge to the leather and lining up the stamps against the edge without scribing a line. . .

L'Bum

Thats a great idea, I sometimes have the line problem as well. Cheer's Darryl

Thats a great idea, I sometimes have the line problem as well. Cheer's Darryl

I have the Tandy embossing machine and use it all the time, it is great. The way I keep the letters straight, is I use 3M - 8ll tape and it does not leave a mark on the grain side of the leather. I just lay a strip of tape on the leather, then lay a ruler on the tape and draw a line with a ball point pin and use that as my guide, and it works everytime.

Bill Parrie

I have the Tandy embossing machine and use it all the time, it is great. The way I keep the letters straight, is I use 3M - 8ll tape and it does not leave a mark on the grain side of the leather. I just lay a strip of tape on the leather, then lay a ruler on the tape and draw a line with a ball point pin and use that as my guide, and it works everytime.

Bill Parrie

cajun,

This is my second attempt at this message, I'm not sure where the first one went!

What kind of tape 3M-8ll??

Thanks

Frank

most of the times , i used this tool , i made it myself

grtz Easy

Hi,

Are there any tricks of the trade in keeping the lettering straight on Belts and Dog Collars without scribing a line into the leather with wing dividers or some other tool? I find however light I scribe a line it shows up after dyeing and when I try smoothing it out with a spoon modeling tool it indents the leather. Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Thanks,

Frank

Use tape instead of scribing the line. Remove the tape, no more line.

cajun,

This is my second attempt at this message, I'm not sure where the first one went!

What kind of tape 3M-8ll??

Thanks

Frank

Yes it is the 3M 811 removable tape and it comes in a blue box. You can get it at any office supply store.

I place all the letters next to each other using a dummy letter if the letter repeats itself in the name. I punch the letter nearest the center first and leave the dye in place. I work my way out from center keeping the dye I have just stamped in place in order to butt the next letter up to it. This keeps things straight for me. :yes:

I place all the letters next to each other using a dummy letter if the letter repeats itself in the name. I punch the letter nearest the center first and leave the dye in place. I work my way out from center keeping the dye I have just stamped in place in order to butt the next letter up to it. This keeps things straight for me. :yes:

How do you get on when you need to use the letter I? I find the spacing is completely out if you simply put one letter next to another - a few tips would be appreciated.

I've been struggling with this, since I had eye surgery I can't see if something is straight. (long story) I can tell if it's misaligned after the fact, but not while I am doing it. I have been thinking of making

some kind of jig, but that's an outdoor project and it's cold out there.

Today I think I have found the answer quite simply. The jig can come later.

Since the base of the letter isn't the same distance from the edge on all letters you have to align the letters themselves.

I used a thin piece of plastic (cut from some packaging material) make sure you have a straight edge. I clamped a yardstick to the bench, then taped the plastic to it.

Slip the leather piece under the plastic and align the LETTER to the edge of the plastic. I also got my design stamps in a straight line without having to scribe a line.

This is the first time I EVER got the letters in a straight line.

line-up-letters-2.jpg

line-up-letters-1.jpg

Cool idear! :specool:

Ray if i have to use a I . Lay all of the letters out and measure them to find the center. Then i make a small mark in the center of where they need to go and start in the middle and work to either side. Works for me.

I use the letters themselves to determine spacing. I leave them setting in the groove when possible when tapping the next letter in. I will use dummy letters if a word has more than one occurrence of a particular letter. Start from center and work your way out. Place the entire word (dummy letters included) before starting with the center letter.

Make sure all letter stamps are square. I have had to take files to slightly knock off burrs and ridges.

Edited by laney1566