jmcmahan

Hansen String Cutter

Well, I broke down and ordered a Hansen String Cutter. Anyone have any comments, I would appreciate hearing them good or bad.

Thanks,

Jim

Did you order one for me too. :evillaugh:

Well, I broke down and ordered a Hansen String Cutter. Anyone have any comments, I would appreciate hearing them good or bad.

Thanks,

Jim

You'll love the Hansen cutter, but it does take a little getting used to....Frank Hansen (God rest his soul) was a dear old friend who taught me to make rawhide and use his string cutter in the back room off his kitchen (good times!!) He made me a pattern for the table attachment to hold a big disk of hide when you are making strings. When you get your cutter let me know and i'll send you pictures. He also had an attachment he made out of the ringers from and old ringer washing machine that you would crank and it would pull the string through the splitter so your hands wouldn't get so tired....got one of those too. Let me know how it goes with your cutter.... slickfork

Hope you don't mind me diving in on this thread, but there has been a few times I have contemplated getting 'the lace master'.

Just wondering if any body has experiance with this cutter - like I say, I keep looking at it like you may keep looking at a farrari (sad eh) and if only I had the pennies!!!

Don't know about the lacemaster, but before I bought a string cutter, I had them send me a video on how it worked and it's features. I have to say that I think the design of the Hansen is much simpler and more user freindly then the lacemaster.

That being said, it will take a little getting used to, but once you do yuo'll wonder what you ever did without it! I love mine I think it is one of the best investments I've made so far in my braiding.

Slickfork, I'd love to see that attachment for cutting off a disk. I cut all my string down with a draw gauge, then run it through the Hansen, but I'd love to find a better way to cut disks.

Just looking at the two, I'd go with the hansen over the lace master. I haven't seen any videos of either one but I've been lookint at string/lace cutters lately. I have a machine shop training class I have to take later this year for my job and can make nearly whatever I want. I'm looking at different cutters/splitters to come up with a design and build one in class. The Hansen looks as practical and well built asn any I've seen.

There's a nice practical and well built cutter that rawhider1 has mentioned and uses, Nuebert I think, it looks like it would be a good choice too. I don't think you went wrong with the Hansen though. I'll bet it works out fine for you.

Edited by millwright

Check out this web site www.apwa.org.au and on the left hand side click on the link for Dene Williams Strand cutter. I am consifering both the strand cutter and the splitter. I guess I will have to get to work to make the funds to buy though.

Not trying to sway anyone away from what they are already looking at but trying to give other options.

At the moment, I use the Aussie Lace Cutter. I love it and can make it work for me.

Joe

I am currently using the lace master - I find it handy that I can move it around and it works great when working on small amounts. I have been cutting alot of hides lately and I feel like I am wasting more than I should be if I had a cutter that worked from the outside in. Just my 2 cents....

Keep Braiding,

Heather

Heather, what exactly do you mean "outside in"?

Don't know about the lacemaster, but before I bought a string cutter, I had them send me a video on how it worked and it's features. I have to say that I think the design of the Hansen is much simpler and more user freindly then the lacemaster.

That being said, it will take a little getting used to, but once you do yuo'll wonder what you ever did without it! I love mine I think it is one of the best investments I've made so far in my braiding.

Slickfork, I'd love to see that attachment for cutting off a disk. I cut all my string down with a draw gauge, then run it through the Hansen, but I'd love to find a better way to cut disks.

The table-attachment I have is a square of masonite about 2 feet square with rectangular notch about 5"wide and 12"long cut out of the lower left hand corner. (see pictures) It has two holes drilled in it to line up with the holes that attach the splitter blade. The upper right hand corner has a dowel leg attached underneath for support. I remove the splitter blade and the guide ring for the bevel cut so only the one ring for the straight cut is on the machine. The masonite lays on top of the machine and screws down through the two holes the splitter blade is attached to with a couple of pan-head screws (I counter-sunk the holes so the screws lay flush with the top. This set up allows you to lay a large or small disk of leather or rawhide on the table and pull the string through the cutter. The disk does not have to be perfectly round, if you go slowly and carefully you can cut around odd-ball shapes and not have near as much waste. When the shape of the disk gets to the point that you are having too sharp a corner, you simply trim the edge to a smoother curve and continue. It works great and when you're done rough cutting your strings, you take the table off, hang it on the wall and put the splitter blade back on.... My cutter is OLD, probably not exactly like the new ones, if you like I can send you a tracing of this one. It's pretty basic though ..you should be able to figure out any necessary modifications..... Hope this helps -- slickfork IMG_0360.JPG

post-9713-1236612995_thumb.jpg

If looking at slickfork's set up - Which is so cool!!! - you can see that it cuts on the outside edge. The lace master needs a hole cut into the center of the hide and then you work your way back out. I really hate having to cut a hole in the center of my expensive hides wasting a bit of the best part. grrrr....

Keeping Braiding,

Heather

Hey Slikfork could you show a picture without the leather so we could see how you mounted the board? I have to get a better look so I can make the board myself. I too have the Hansen String Cutter but would be nice to see how others use it as I am still learning to use it for making my strings.

Hey Slikfork could you show a picture without the leather so we could see how you mounted the board? I have to get a better look so I can make the board myself. I too have the Hansen String Cutter but would be nice to see how others use it as I am still learning to use it for making my strings.

Sorry about that...tried to attach this pic too, (I hate computers...) IMG_0362.JPG Hope this makes it clearer...if you need more pictures/ explaination let me know. It's not fancy, but sure works good. My Hansen is probably 20+ years old....

I actually own a LaceMaster too...I find they are both very useful, just depends on what you're making. I use the Hansen for rough cutting strings from a disk, (with the table attachment) MUCH EASIER for me to cut string from the outside of the circle in -- than from the center of the circle out-- as is done with the LaceMaster and I think I have less waste. I use the Hansen for HEAVY splitting (thick- medium leather / rawhide) I also find it's easier for me to bevel with. I modified my Hansen ... had a friend with a milling machine put an additional angle cut though the main bar so I have two different beveling angles to choose from. The LaceMaster is better for making fine strings (after the initial rough cut) in fact, it was Frank Hansen himself who talked me into buying the LaceMaster at the Pendelton Leather Show. The splitter on the LaceMaster works great for Kangaroo and thin rawhide. The fact that it uses razor blades instead of a blade you have to sharpen is convenient and the sharper blade does a prettier job on fine stuff. It's also handy that you can change strings without loosing your thickness setting. The beveler on the LaceMaster is a little tricky. Probably just need to practice with it more. If I had to choose just one....I'd probably get the Hansen...

post-9713-1236622429_thumb.jpg

Thanks for the pics, Slickfork! I'll have to make me one of those!!

OMG! :You_Rock_Emoticon: You guys have just made my day! How simple and yet the solution has evaded me for YEARS! I JUST (as in this morning) picked up a bunch of hides at the post office. And now I am too excited to go and get cutting! My tables in my work room are set up PERFECTLY for this method of cutting! All I have to do is to turn my blade around, move the collar fence and GO! Sheesh. That is a slap the forehead moment if I have ever had one before! LOL! Thanks for all of the great discussion! You never know what light bulb you are going to turn on! LOL!

Love and Light,

Maeve

Thanks Slick Fork those pictures were just the ticket for me to understand what i need to do to make my own little table. it's a great tool. thanks again