This is a newbie question--I have been asked to remove and replace some old leather conchos that are under silver conchos on an old saddle--BUT --the owner wants to leave the original stirngs on the saddle. The strings appear to be in good shape and supple enough to resist tearing. My question is this--is there a tool you use or have made that you utilize when pulling the strings apart (where they are bleeded topgether)? I hope this makes sense to you?????? Charlie

This is a newbie question--I have been asked to remove and replace some old leather conchos that are under silver conchos on an old saddle--BUT --the owner wants to leave the original stirngs on the saddle. The strings appear to be in good shape and supple enough to resist tearing. My question is this--is there a tool you use or have made that you utilize when pulling the strings apart (where they are bleeded topgether)? I hope this makes sense to you?????? Charlie

Just use a scratch awl or a spike to open them up. Greg

My favorite tool for un-doing saddle strings is an old phillips head screw driver, on which I used a grinder to reshape the end into a blunt awl shape. Work the end into the knot, wiggle it around until you get some slack in the knot, then pull the string through.

I've always used a good set of smooth needle-nose pliers. Just be "calm". Don't get in a hurry, and you should be fine.

Hey---thanks for all the input. I'' give it a try and see if I can get them apart without breaking one. Booy--love this forum! Charlie

CharlieR... you might apply some Lexoil to the strings , mabey they would soften up to be a little flexible....just a thought

CharlieR... you might apply some Lexoil to the strings , mabey they would soften up to be a little flexible....just a thought

I second that.Use some kind of conditioner before you try to take them apart.

Dry leather tears easy. I use an old Phillips screwdriver too. Go easy.

Before I re-assemble them I use Leather New on the strings and rossettes.

It helps. Regards, sadlmakr

if you are gonna use a conditioner on the strings use saddle soap only. You Do Not use oil or grease on your strings or your latigo as it cuases them to hold dirt and they become hard to pull and or tie. I do not care if it lexol non-greasy, neetsfoot or saddlebutter do not use it on latigo. Greg

Charlie,

Be careful with conditioners... DON'T USE GREASY ONES. It will only serve to aggravate you later.

I use a modified 14" mechanics drift bar. One end looks like a pry bar (rarely use that end) and the other end looks like a drift pin punch that transitions into an hexagon shape. It works quite well for that purpose. Just stick it in and rotate gently.

Regards,

Ben

Added... I see Greg already warned you about conditioners.

Regards,

Ben

Edited by gtwister09

Hey Folks--this is great! Thanks to all. But it has brought up a point that I beleive I have not run across before--"Do Not USe Conditioners on latigos & strings". In all of the repair/restoration threads, there have been lots of advice n conditioners, etc., but there has not been mention of not using the conditioner on the strings/latigo, or at least that I remember. I would really appreciate someone explaining a little more on this subject while we're here....... Charlie

Hey Folks--this is great! Thanks to all. But it has brought up a point that I beleive I have not run across before--"Do Not USe Conditioners on latigos & strings". In all of the repair/restoration threads, there have been lots of advice n conditioners, etc., but there has not been mention of not using the conditioner on the strings/latigo, or at least that I remember. I would really appreciate someone explaining a little more on this subject while we're here....... Charlie

The latigo leather already has oils pentrated into it during the tanning process. Just work lots of saddle soap into your strings and latigo's when they are new and re-soap them every time you clean and condition the saddle. Oils on the latigo's will hold dirt to them more so than veg-tan. some latigo is called veg tanned latigo but it goes thru a different tanning process than skirting leather. greg

Greg--thanks a bunch. So, let me ask this now. Some say they work saddle soap into leather without any water, while others soak the leather up and make real soap and suds,wipe it down, then let it dry.. which way do you recommend?

charlie

I give my new strings and latigo's a quick dip in warm water then work lots of paste saddle soap into them. on a clean up job on a saddle I would use a sponge to dampen the strings slightly then soap. Greg

Greg--thanks so much for your time and consideration---you have been a great help. Charlie