Kevinjohnson

Randall/USM Cyclone stitching machine

5Shot,

Don't know about semantics, when we speak of a Randall or Randall Lockstitch we are referring to a clone of a Campbell, a Union Lockstitch or a "Union" always refers to a different machine, indeed with needle feed. Then there are the Champions and the American Straight Needle "ASN" which are totally different animals. I've owned everything above except the Union and a Cyclone, I kept the Campbell and I'd take a Cyclone in a heartbeat, don't want a Union. What do you have?

Art

Been a while since I have posted, but figured I would answer the question. I have 2 Union Lockstitch machines. Shows you what I know - didn't know that Randall ever made a clone of the Campbell. I have mine going pretty slow, and I rarely adjust anything but the tension on the top thread. I stitch holsters, belts and the like. Full speed is wayyyyy too fast for this guy. I could probably get by just fine with a Campbell, but they looked overly complicated and my mentor steered me towards the Union Lockstitch. Being able to get tuning/maintenance advice with a quick phone call was worth it. I can get one in tune in just a few minutes now - and once it is there, it stays that way unless I mess up and try to fix what aint broke.

I have heard from Dan Neagle at Campbell/Randall that the Campbell is much easier to use and only looks more complicated - but since I have never sat behind one, I can't give my impression of it.

Hey guys and gals,

I have just recently registered and figured I might throw out a question or two. First, I would like to compliment the individuals that run and maintain this site. The format is very profesional, informative, and easy to navigate. It is also neat to have thousands of years of knowledge gathered in one spot willing to give advise and shop secrets to individual looking to better themselves and their work. Most everyone seem courteious and sincere unlike many other forums I have visited. My question is about the Cyclone stitcher. I'm wondering if there are a few of you out there that might know something about this machine? I recently talked to Connie Nagle, A WEALTH OF KNOWLEDGE, and he described the machine as the Rolls Royce of stitchers. He also added that it was excellently engineered and that it sounded like no other when it sewed. There seems to be a little mystery surounding this machine being that there were only 400 or so produced and not a lot of info on it. I would also like to see a picture of one if any of you have one. I would also like some feedback on the Campbell/Randall machines versus the Landis 3. I've heard that Don King said that the Randall produced finest stitch out of all of the needle and awl machines.

Thanks for you time,

Kevin Johnson

I have 3 Cyclone stitchers I would like to sell for a good price $3600 will buy all 3 of them

JJ

423 571 1364

Jack, would you consider posting some photo's of those machines? At least we could see what they look like. Most people never even seen one. :whatdoyouthink:

Hi Bob,

Here is a Cyclone, don't know if JJ's are quite this good.

Cyclone.bmp

Art

Jack, would you consider posting some photo's of those machines? At least we could see what they look like. Most people never even seen one. :whatdoyouthink:

Cyclone.bmp

I have 3 Cyclone stitchers I would like to sell for a good price $3600 will buy all 3 of them

JJ

423 571 1364

JJ, would you mind posting pictures of the 3 cyclone stitchers you posted for sale. I'd be interested in looking at that. Or you could send some pictures directly. Thank you.

Thought I'd post a link to a Cyclone video clip... can't say for sure but it appears to be at Campbell-Bosworth and I think that's Randy (one of their techs) operating it. Keep an eye on the machines internals when the camera is showing the back side of the machine... gives some idea how fast that thing is moving.

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fusea...ideoID=26369134

Darc

Hi Troy,

I wish I could answer which I like better but I don't have the Randall running yet. I got it in a deal when I bought one of my Landis 3s... drove all the way to Minnesota to pick it up and when I got there the guy offered me the Randall for $700s... just couldn't refuse that. The needle bar is tight and the machine looks almost complete but needs a spring above the thread tube and a table and motor as well. I'm not sure if you are familar with the action of the machine but maybe you could answer this question... When I hand crank my Landis 3, it turns over very smoothly with the weight of the wheel. When I handcrank the Randall, it goes about 3/4s of the way around and then tension increases and feels like it's going over a hill and then releases. The tension increases at the point that the awl moves the material and releases when the awl starts to rise upwards. I'm curious if this tension is normal for this kind of machine or if I have some adjustments that need to be made. The only time i've actually seen one of these machines running is at a booth Campbell-Bosworth had in Sheridan and their machine was of course hooked up to a motor.

I've attached a couple of photos of the two machines I got in Minnesota.

Darc

Randall1.jpg

Landis3.jpg

Hey if you need parts for your Campble give me a shout I have about any part you will need.

Hi Troy,

I wish I could answer which I like better but I don't have the Randall running yet. I got it in a deal when I bought one of my Landis 3s... drove all the way to Minnesota to pick it up and when I got there the guy offered me the Randall for $700s... just couldn't refuse that. The needle bar is tight and the machine looks almost complete but needs a spring above the thread tube and a table and motor as well. I'm not sure if you are familar with the action of the machine but maybe you could answer this question... When I hand crank my Landis 3, it turns over very smoothly with the weight of the wheel. When I handcrank the Randall, it goes about 3/4s of the way around and then tension increases and feels like it's going over a hill and then releases. The tension increases at the point that the awl moves the material and releases when the awl starts to rise upwards. I'm curious if this tension is normal for this kind of machine or if I have some adjustments that need to be made. The only time i've actually seen one of these machines running is at a booth Campbell-Bosworth had in Sheridan and their machine was of course hooked up to a motor.

I've attached a couple of photos of the two machines I got in Minnesota.

Darc

Randall1.jpg

Landis3.jpg

I have a Randall model and stopped replacing the spring at the top of the thread tube since it kept popping out. A 2 inch X .5 in length of leather with a slit in the middle now sits in the tube and the thread passes thru it and down the tube. The purpose of the spring to lightly hold the thread and the leather does a perfect job.

Also, the machine wheel pressure increases when the foot is lifting to all ow the leather to feed for the next stitch. That is probably what you notice when rotating the hand wheel.

Jack, would you consider posting some photo's of those machines? At least we could see what they look like. Most people never even seen one. whatdoyouthink.gif

This Machine was made in 1910

post-5224-127735012171_thumb.jpg

This Machine was made in 1910

Is this one of the cyclones? I take it the price may have gone up! what about the randall on the floor to the right?

-Andrew

I always wanted a Randall stitcher, but had to settle for a Union Lockstitch Machine. It was neat seeing the photo of the old Cyclone Machine. I wonder how many spi it can handle?

Is this one of the cyclones? I take it the price may have gone up! what about the randall on the floor to the right?

-Andrew

That is sold but I do have a good one and a landis 16 and a #3 email me at oldcowpoke@charter.net

That is sold but I do have a good one and a landis 16 and a #3 email me at oldcowpoke@charter.net

Jack, if you have a Cyclone for sale. Whats your price? For the 3 & 16 also?

Hey guys and gals,

I have just recently registered and figured I might throw out a question or two. First, I would like to compliment the individuals that run and maintain this site. The format is very profesional, informative, and easy to navigate. It is also neat to have thousands of years of knowledge gathered in one spot willing to give advise and shop secrets to individual looking to better themselves and their work. Most everyone seem courteious and sincere unlike many other forums I have visited. My question is about the Cyclone stitcher. I'm wondering if there are a few of you out there that might know something about this machine? I recently talked to Connie Nagle, A WEALTH OF KNOWLEDGE, and he described the machine as the Rolls Royce of stitchers. He also added that it was excellently engineered and that it sounded like no other when it sewed. There seems to be a little mystery surounding this machine being that there were only 400 or so produced and not a lot of info on it. I would also like to see a picture of one if any of you have one. I would also like some feedback on the Campbell/Randall machines versus the Landis 3. I've heard that Don King said that the Randall produced finest stitch out of all of the needle and awl machines.

Thanks for you time,

Kevin Johnson

Hi guys I sold Kevin a cyclone and I have another one for sale 4000. as well and a campble 2850 and a landis 3 3300. and a singer 97-10 2250.

call me and i will send pic...

I always wanted a Randall stitcher, but had to settle for a Union Lockstitch Machine. It was neat seeing the photo of the old Cyclone Machine. I wonder how many spi it can handle?

This came off the campble randall site

The Cyclone utilized the best technology of the day. It

featured a reliable awl feed mechanism, which limited

the speed to 500 SPM, but could out perform the

Union’s needle feed. The rotary shuttle held a large

bobbin and it would accommodate 3 to 10 cord thread.

The 12” throat depth allowed for large work and some

parts were interchangeable with the Campbell Machine.

Best of all, it could sew leather up to 1” thick.

Besides the capabilities of the machine, from a mechanical

stand point, it was well engineered. The gear

drive mechanisms provided a history of low maintenance

and high reliability. The custom stand and drive

unit allowed the operator to vary the speed according

to the amount of pressure he applied to the pedal. Cyclones

were setup for sewing harness, tack, belts, bags,

handles, cases, saddles, shoes, luggage, and corner

stitching. Our records show that by 1917, barely 5 year

after its introduction, over 118 Cyclones had been sold

or leased. This was one of the best stitchers every built

and could out perform anything on the market.

To D.A. Kabatoff sounds like your Randall is binding up because the foot lift is adjusted to high. I bought an Randall with the same symptoms and lowering the foot lift corrected the problem

Better late than never I guess. I have 3 Union Lockstitch machines and 3 Campbell/ Randall machines. The parts never were an interchangeable problem between the early Randall and the later Campbells that I have. 

The Unions most definitely do a tighter stitch than do the Randall/ Campbells but as was noted one must speak carefully to them over time. My experience has been that any problems I have encountered have just made me understand them a lot better. There is no comparison between the stitch pattern of these machines and  jacked up Chinese machines or any different feed machines. Needle awl just works for us here big time. If there is any doubt then one must be aware that the LARGE holster companies use these almost exclusively in their factories and as they have access and funds, that must be telling something.

Still wonder what these are like though............ :)

5911c3c95881c_CYCLONE(312x489).png.ae7c78b9b0f33b340b5971794bedac0f.png

Looks like sewing machine pron / what you use to make really serious BDSM gear with..or what the alien and predator make their gear with :)

Wait..it is in the name..they are what you use to stitch cyclones together..

Want one..

Hmm..Now..how to convince wife that I really need one..

Edited by mikesc

I think if about 10 of us go in with a grand each on a Cyclone, we might could get of to share. Of course poor Mike would have to fly in from France to use it. ;-(