Was wondering what some of you are using now that neatlac is no longer available, my main use is when doing a sheridan finish. Im watching my last quart slowly disappear and was wondering what is a good substitute

I have been using Clear Lac. I can not tell much difference than Neat Lac

RussH

Some members have mentioned a product found at Homes depot called "Deft?" I am sure that they will chime in eventually.

Greetings from Round Rock, Texas

I have been using Clear Lac. I can not tell much difference than Neat Lac

RussH

Where are you getting Clear Lac and who makes it, never heard of it.

I bought the last 3 quarts of neat lac my store had.

Randy

RTC and Super Shene work the same as Neat Lac, only they don't smell bad. Apply two coats and allow plenty of drying time in between coats and before you go to the antique.

Kathy

I also would like to know about clear lac? What is RTC? Are you spraying or hand applying the RTC and SuperSheen?

Keith

I recently made myself a card holder, for id etc. Used Super Shene for finish. I have noticed, when I keep it in my back pocket, the holder sticks to the inside of my jeans pocket. I did two coats shene, then antique, then shene. It is completely dry. Is it body heat causing the sticking?

I also would like to know about clear lac? What is RTC? Are you spraying or hand applying the RTC and SuperSheen?

Keith

RTC is a GREAT product made by Bee Natural. It is an acrylic finish/blocker that is odorless and dries really fast. It also makes the antique wipe off easier. I use nothing else.

pete

Thanks for the info. How do you use it? Is it water soluble? Does it water spot as a final top coat? Does it darken? Does it mix with antique or remain separate in solution? Does it dissolve, thin, or cut antique as a top coat? Is it high gloss or satin, or can it be manipulated as it sets? Does it remain flexible and not crack or harden over time? How long has it been in use? Lots of questions, and I really appreciate your input based on your personal experience. It take a great deal of time to thoroughly test this kind of product.

Thanks,

Keith

I just bought out Hide crafters small bottles of RTC to find something to substitute for Neat Lac. The RTC is Sheridan Resist & Finish. I figure I would be able to test out the small bottles first before I buy a larger one. I read above where another member mentioned to use two coats before applying the antique. I jsut learned that because I tried one coat and it didn't work.

Good luck

Greetings from Round Rock, Texas

I got my Clear Lac from Panhandle Leather in Amarillo, Tx. I think it is made by CLI in Ft. Worth. I am not sure about the name of the company and I am not home right now. When I get back home tomarrow I will check the maker.

RussH

Rhonda, I have had the same experience with Super Shene, and for that reason, I don't use it. I have never liked the way it feels. RTC doesn't have that feel, and neither does Neat Lac.

Keith, RTC is water soluble. Some people spray it on, I wipe it on with a piece of shearling, sheared down to about a quarter inch. Put it on in circular motions, and don't use it too sparingly. I haven't tried mixing it with antique like I do with Tan Kote. It has a gloss to it, but not as much as Super Shene. I have never had trouble with it cracking. I have had trouble with Super Shene that way. I haven't used it a whole lot, because I have always liked Neat Lac as a resist, so it's fairly new to me, but I like it.

I think RTC stands for Rat Tonsil Control. Or maybe Rediculous Theological Circumstances. Your guess is as good as mine!

Kathy

I too just bought the last can of neat lac in existance in my area. It seems a forgone conclusion for mankind that if it works, get rid of it! I absolutely loved it as i found nothing better to resist with and to put a nice top coat on dye work before highlighting. i do a lot of leather picture carving and use small paint brushes to apply it. It was NEVER sticky.

I have enough time while this last can of neat lac lasts for all of you to experiment with other products and reap the rewards of all your trial and errors, lol. I will keep track of this post.

Kathy,

Thanks for the report. I have used neat lac for the past 30+ years and have about 3 gallons left. But that won't last long. The new formula a couple of years ago does not work the same as the old and not nearly as well. I have about a gallon of the old recipe left and I hoard it for difficult or special projects. I looked up the RTC on the Bee Natural website and was surprised at the price. Quite a difference from $35 gal for the toxic chemical to the all "natural" at $110 gal. Does it go farther, or do you use about the same volume? I read above where it requires two coats to resist antique.

RHarris

What about this clear lac from panhandle leather? What are its characteristics? I feel like an amateur again researching new finishes! HAHA

Keith

Keith

I can not tell any difference in the Neatlac or clearlac. Goes on just like NL, smells about the same, resist is about the same. They told me at Panhandle Leather that several years ago they could not get the NL and found the Clear Lac. Will get more information on it when I get home Tues.

I have not poured them into a clear jar, but looking into the can to me the NL has a yellowish color and the CL is clear.

RussH

Edited by rharris

Keith/others,

I use Behr's Clear Lac Semi Gloss that you can get at Home Depot. I would imagine that you could get something similar at Woodworkers, Lowe's, Aces and other hardware and woodworking stores.

Regards,

Ben

Kathy,

Thanks for the report. I have used neat lac for the past 30+ years and have about 3 gallons left. But that won't last long. The new formula a couple of years ago does not work the same as the old and not nearly as well. I have about a gallon of the old recipe left and I hoard it for difficult or special projects. I looked up the RTC on the Bee Natural website and was surprised at the price. Quite a difference from $35 gal for the toxic chemical to the all "natural" at $110 gal. Does it go farther, or do you use about the same volume? I read above where it requires two coats to resist antique.

RHarris

What about this clear lac from panhandle leather? What are its characteristics? I feel like an amateur again researching new finishes! HAHA

Keith

To be honest with you, Keith, I haven't used it all that much, just a little experimenting here and there. Like you, I like the Neat Lac. I have a feeling you would go through the RTC faster because you do need two coats. You may be able to get away with one, but I don't trust it that much and don't want to ruin a project, so I use 2. I had no idea what a gallon of the stuff costs. I don't think I really wanted to know! Another example of that kind of pricing is with contact cement. That new stuff Tandy's has works great, but who can afford it? Just go down to Home Depot or even Walmart and you can get contact cement that smells bad, works great and costs a lot less.

Deb hit the nail right on the head. Every time something is popular, they get rid of it! Why does society work that way? Yaks aren't popular. Anyone want one? I have an extra one!

Kathy

Keith/others,

I use Behr's Clear Lac Semi Gloss that you can get at Home Depot. I would imagine that you could get something similar at Woodworkers, Lowe's, Aces and other hardware and woodworking stores.

Regards,

Ben

Ben,

My fears with lacquers formulated for wood is that they would dry to a hard finish over time. When used in leather they would penetrate deeper than wood and when the leather flexes might crack the finish and maybe the leather. What are your experiences?

Keith

Keith

I can not tell any difference in the Neatlac or clearlac. Goes on just like NL, smells about the same, resist is about the same. They told me at Panhandle Leather that several years ago they could not get the NL and found the Clear Lac. Will get more information on it when I get home Tues.

I have not poured them into a clear jar, but looking into the can to me the NL has a yellowish color and the CL is clear.

RussH

I called panhandle leather, they are currently out of stock but expecting a shipment. They said that the mfg company began making the clear lac about 15 years ago as a replacement for neat lac the first time Tandy quit making it. They have been making clear lac ever since. He did not know any of the ingredients.

I will try it and report on the results. Thanks to all of you for your input in this matter.

Keith

Keith and Others

Here is the web site for Leather Coating, Inc. that makes the Clear Lac.

http://www.leathercoatings.com

I went to their web site and could not find Clear Lac, but their name is on the label.

RussH

Ben,

My fears with lacquers formulated for wood is that they would dry to a hard finish over time. When used in leather they would penetrate deeper than wood and when the leather flexes might crack the finish and maybe the leather. What are your experiences?

Keith

Keith,

I haven't been doing much with leatherwork lately for various reasons. However, I tried the Clear lac on two items about 2 years ago. One was a pair of batwing chaps for my Dad and the other was a holster for my father-in-laws Luger 22. The chaps only had the yokes, pockets and flares tooled. These have had blood, dirt and rain on them wiith no sign of cracking. The holster hasn't seen as abusive of an environment except for some rain and they have no sign of cracking. Some of the other lacquers that I tried did pentrate deeply and had lots of fine white lines when flexed. However on the flip side I have three belts, a portfolio,, some spur straps and a checkbook cover that were done with Neat lac that exhibited fine white lines from flexing a couple of weeks after being completed. Go figure. I got rid of that quart of Neat lac and started trying others. That was the last reformulation so I chalked it up to that rather than a bad batch...I might have been wrong on attributing it to a new formulation rather than the batch.

On a name serach on Google.... Behr is the only Clear lac manufacturer listed but that doesn't necessarily mean its the only one.

I would be interested in your information about the one from Panhandle Leathers.

Here's some that I have tried in the past and give some informaiton on them...

Behlen's Stringed Instrument Lacquer worked well.

Watco Brushing Lacquer didn't do well

Minwax didn't do well

Several Deft's did not do well

Zinsser did not do well either

One I didn't try but would consider is

General Finishes Gel Topcoat

Regards,

Ben

Hi,

I was able to find the original chemical breakdown for "NeatLac". I also found out that the reason that everybody has stopped producing any products like NeatLac, is because of just how harmful they can be to us "Humans". Tolulene, which was part of the original Neatlac, is a pretty bad Carcinogen. Also, later on they replaced Tolulene, I believe with xylene. Which is just about as bad. So the manufacturers of NeatLac decided to stop production, just to be "safe", at least that's what I was told.

Anyway, I have been able to duplicate a version of something very similar to NeatLac. Smells the same, & works the same, & I'm sure, is just as hazardous! Here are a couple items where I used "BearLac". & Before you ask,,, just to protect myself,,, I will not make or sell any,,, of provide any info about how it's made! I'm sure you can realize just how much liability I would open myself up to if I did,,,,,, Sorry!! I hope you'll understand. Ed

1911_holster3.jpg

Dragon_knife_oak_case_best3.jpg

Lesson22.jpg

Mouse_Pad_22.jpg

Pick_guard3.jpg

post-7175-1238678347_thumb.jpg

post-7175-1238678370_thumb.jpg

post-7175-1238678392_thumb.jpg

post-7175-1238678410_thumb.jpg

post-7175-1238678426_thumb.jpg

No one has mentioned the Tandy product Saddle Lac. Any reason why?

My Tandy manager claims it is more flexible than Neat Lac

Dave

Bearman,

Now this post was rather counter productive since you have obviously solved our problem. I certainly preferred the Neat Lac with tolulene to the re-formulated xylene. I know saddlemakers who have used the stuff for decades without harm and I have used it for over 30 years without any ssssside eeeeffectttts! Well maybe a little twitch....

I do like the finish that you have shown. Looks like the old neat lac.

I have just begun using the Clear Lac from Panhandle leather. It is not the same as Neat Lac, but does have good lacquering properties. It does handle differently, and is requiring a bit of a learning curve. It has a distinctive odor... and is pretty strong. No worse than the newest neatlac, but still quite strong. It is much thinner than Neat lac, and penetrates deep into the leather. It fully covers into the cuts and background. It dries much slower. It is not as high gloss. It lifts dye more.... especially black. It works well as a resist for antique, but requires more drying time before applying the antique. As a top coat over antique, it seals well and gives a nice satin finish, but care must be taken to avoid removing too much antique. You can't rub it near as much as Neat Lac.

Still, overall, it is a viable alternative for Neat Lac.

LCI makes several more products that I will try and report more on in the future.

Keith

P.S. Bearman, If you have a change of heart, I would love to have that recepie to make some bearlac. I assure you there will be no "politically correct" legal liability from me!

No one has mentioned the Tandy product Saddle Lac. Any reason why?

My Tandy manager claims it is more flexible than Neat Lac

Dave

David,

The only Saddle Lac products that I have experience with are only available in spray cans. They don't wipe well and they leave a heavy "painted on" plastic look.

Keith