DeuceTrinal

Custom rosewood burnishers

Thanks to this thread, I decided to get a chunk of Osage, a six pack, and get over to my friends' house who has the mother of all wood lathes....and this is what we turned out. It works GREAT!!

I will add that the $38 asking price in Rosewood is a great bargain!!

IMG_0314.jpg

Paid orders to date are completed and shipped, if you have an outstanding order expect a confirmation email tonight with your tracking number. These orders were delayed a few days when I found some of the shafts I had prepared to use were not quite perfectly round and/or straight, which meant they didn't always chuck up true. To remedy this, I have switched to using 3/8" drill rod, which is machined perfectly straight and round, and is better steel. Unfortunately, it is slightly more costly and takes a longer process to prepare each shaft. I'm not making these with a profit margin built in, so I have to add the increased cost to the price of the burnishers.

The new price is $40 shipped within the US.

I feel the increased quality and precision more than makes up for the difference, as I am now getting repeatable runout measurements of 15 thousandths of an inch or less (usually less) at the base of the small point. All of the orders that shipped today have the new shafts in them, and they work very well.

Paid orders to date are completed and shipped, if you have an outstanding order expect a confirmation email tonight with your tracking number. These orders were delayed a few days when I found some of the shafts I had prepared to use were not quite perfectly round and/or straight, which meant they didn't always chuck up true. To remedy this, I have switched to using 3/8" drill rod, which is machined perfectly straight and round, and is better steel. Unfortunately, it is slightly more costly and takes a longer process to prepare each shaft. I'm not making these with a profit margin built in, so I have to add the increased cost to the price of the burnishers.

The new price is $40 shipped within the US.

I feel the increased quality and precision more than makes up for the difference, as I am now getting repeatable runout measurements of 15 thousandths of an inch or less (usually less) at the base of the small point. All of the orders that shipped today have the new shafts in them, and they work very well.

Scott,

Recieved my e-mail tonight with tracking number thanks. You also said in your e-mail you had used the new shaft, I will send you the difference in the price. I appreciate your desire to make a really great product for us.

vince

Scott,

Recieved my burnisher tonight. Man what a work of art! :You_Rock_Emoticon:

Tried it out and for me it did fantastic. I did this holster after sewing and staining so I know I am not doing things in the right order but will eventually get it worked out.

310toyuma007.jpg

Any way thanks so much for your hard work and beautiful product.

vince

Just got mine yesterday. It looks beautiful, and works beautifully! Thanks!

Kate

Money sent. Can't wait!

Oops! I had a small mishap today while turning, I dropped a burnisher while buffing and manged to break off the tip. I re-turned the tip, but instead of a long point for slots it now has a short tip for holes and slot edges. I tested it and it worked just fine on belt hole edges, it just won't do the inside of a slot or deep hole the way a long tip would. It also has a slightly shorter flat spot after the step from the re-turning, which shouldn't affect much at all. If it will still work for what you make, you can save some cash! $5 off, so $33 shipped for the stubby burnisher.

The stubby burnisher is sold pending payment! Current orders are in production now, you'll get a confirmation email when your burnisher(s) ship. Thanks to everyone for the interest, I'm glad I can provide a good tool for other craftsmen!

I find the talk about different speeds for a wood burnisher very interesting. I do realize that the larger the diam. the faster the actual surface speed (used to be a machinist :rolleyes2: ). However, I've been using a 1 3/4" diameter disc type hardwood burnisher I made in my drill press for a couple of years now and have found through trying different speeds that I get the best results going with the slowest speed I have which is 570 rpm! Seems like most folks here are using much higher speeds like 1750 or higher! I believe that if I were using a burnisher with half the diameter I could go twice as fast and get the same results but that would still be only 1140 rpm. :huh:

Just for comparison purposes - I first lightly dampen the edges and then apply Gum Tragacanth before I burnish. I then burnish - then go over it again after a few minutes after it dries out a bit to get the results I want which are usually glassy - but not always. I've found that the moisture content has to be just right for the best results. It also seems some leather burnishes better than others even if it's all veg-tan from the same tannery. I started out with the higher speeds and was actually disappointed that I had to go slower as the faster speeds did the edges faster just not as shiny and too fast would burn it. I'm not saying that slower is better - just that it works better for me. Maybe others are using a wax instead and that makes the difference (though I have tried beeswax and didn't care for the result). Anyone else care to chime in on the speed thing and what they're using on the edges? :unsure:

Richard

I have found that I don't have to press the leather against the burnisher.....just hold it to make light contact with the wheel for best results.

BTW...I started with a 2" sq. block so by now the grooves are about 1 1/2" in dia. turning at 1750.......I just dampen the leather with water....sometimes lick the small spots, which is why I believe it to be a good idea to keep my mouth moist ....usually with Bud Light.......and like the post above, I don't always get the same results with the same effort.......it's an art form right??

I finally got some time to play with mine and it is great! For the 1st time, I am happy with my edges. Thanks!!!

I'm not saying that slower is better - just that it works better for me. Maybe others are using a wax instead and that makes the difference (though I have tried beeswax and didn't care for the result). Anyone else care to chime in on the speed thing and what they're using on the edges? :unsure:

I've been using Yankee wax with the plastic weaver slicker, and water with my wood burnisher, both at ~1100 rpms. I would love to give one of these rosewood burnishers a try and see how it works for me, especially since the wood slicker from weaver is starting to get chewed up from chucking it into the press multiple times

It would be great to see some close up pictures of the edges accomplished with this slicker, if anyone has the time.

Edited by BOOMSTICKHolsters

I purchased the Stubby burnisher. It came within a week - packaged in an old coffee can (threw off the drug dogs no doubt!) and was padded well.

This thing is NICE. I chucked it up and burnished some scrap. I originally had my drill press set too low - so I set it at about 1550 RPS and reburnished. This was about right - a little water or a little bees wax and BOOM - instant (or relatively instant in comparison to hand work) burnished edge. I am psyched.

The seller was honest, gave good communication, and did everything right.

TF

It's great to see how many people are benefiting from Scott's expertise. He's a fairly stellar individual, and I'm very glad to count him as a friend. We call him 'Google' for the wealth of non-trivial knowledge that he manages keep stored in his head. He's one of those people that, upon discovering some pursuit, devours ever bit of technical minutiae he can find on the subject and thereby quickly becomes an expert in the field.

Me, I just make it up as I go :)

Anyway, there's my endorsement. If you need any more convincing, just go back and read through the posts on this thread. Well deserved kudos!

Got my burnisher today - beautiful work of art!

I received one of these about two weeks ago. I got the stubby!

With that said - I wanted to post a pic of my latest burnished edge for my sheath I finished tonight:

DadsKabarSheath005.jpg

I was NOT turning out these kind of edges two weeks ago. This has helped a LOT!

TF

I received my burnisher yesterday - great looking, very nicely finished tool. Thanks Scott.

Just wanted to add that I recently purchased a burnisher from Scott as well that was made to my specs. I am very happy with the excellent craftsmanship and performance of this tool. Spins very true! It definitely makes for a nicer end product with less effort and should last for many years to come. I highly recommend this burnisher to anyone looking for nicer edges. Also, Scott is a great guy to work with and his customer service is excellent! :thumbsup:

Richard

got mine yesterday, I love it. Thanks Scott, Daniel.

I just ordered a burnisher from Scott chucked to fit my hand drill. I have an old bench grinder that I was thinking I might be able to mount in my workspace, then run a pulley off it to a shaft that would act to decrease the RPM as well as chuck the burnisher. Anyone have suggestions on suppliers who might make a setup like this. I'm thining I'd need a v-belt with 2 varying size radius wheels, a shaft to mount one of the weels on, and some sort of chuck on the end of the shaft to hold the burnisher. I can see the entire design in my head it it seems simple enough, I just have no idea if someone makes such supplies.

Thanks,

Kenny

Sent by PayPal for Standard burnisher 7/3/09 Thanks

Charlie

Received today, looks to pretty to use. Will be using this on Sunday. Thanks!

Charlie

Have you figured out a way to screw one of these burnishers onto a 1/2" arbor on a bench buffer?