DeuceTrinal

Custom rosewood burnishers

A couple of month ago one of my good leather worker friends sent me a link to a discussion on here about wooden rotary burnishers, asking if I could make one for him. I did, and also jumped into the discussion offering to make more for others once I figured out a good design and wood source etc. Well, that time has come! I've made a few of these now and they seem to work very well. I don't take credit for the design, it's mostly inspired by a burnisher made by forum member gtwister09. I'm not trying to make a business doing this, I've just had a number of people express that they'd like similar tools, and I happen to be a woodturner who can produce them for a reasonable price and I enjoy making useful things. Here's the deal:

The burnishers are made from Indian rosewood, which is very dense (doesn't float) and oily, which means it polishes up to a high shine with no coatings to come off onto your leather. Some people also say the oils help the edge burnishing process as well. Typically I make them with a 3/8" steel shaft for chucking into drill presses or hand drills, though I can make other mounting options to match your tools. The shaft runs the complete length of the tool, making it very rigid. I can make custom cove widths for the projects you tend to make, or just give you a standard design with a useful range of cove widths (typically about 7/16", 3/8", 1/4" & 3/16"). The flat with one rounded side at the first step down works well for any larger materials like holsters with a flat center, and you can use it for pretty much any edge by doing each side. I've also started making the pin on the end slightly smaller so it can burnish belt buckle holes and slots easier.

I've also included a picture of a new flat burnishing and folding tool I'm also making, it has nice soft rounded edges and a pointed tip for use as a folder/creaser and hand burnisher.

They are hand turned by me on a lathe so are very straight and can be custom in whatever way you need. All are polished to a very smooth soft finish, letting you use whatever edge treatment compounds you prefer. I also seal the grain on the tip of the flat burnishers so they slide smoothly when folding or creasing. The rotary burnishers are $40 shipped inside the USA and the flat burnishers are $30 shipped. I can accept Paypal or Check/Money order/Wells Fargo transfer. I'd love to talk about other shapes of burnishers or other tool mounting options, just let me know. You can reach me on here via PM or by email at scottconners (at) gmail.com.

_DSC9233.jpg

Img0137.jpg

_DSC9464.jpg

post-7360-1236662178_thumb.jpg

post-7360-1236662189_thumb.jpg

post-7360-1236662199_thumb.jpg

Money sent through paypal, thanks James

Money sent through paypal, thanks James

Thanks James, I should have it made tomorrow and in the mail wednesday.

For those who want to just order through paypal, I'll assume you want the standard 3/8" shaft for chucking into a drill chuck. If you need something different please contact me beforehand.

They look awesome! Good job. I am glad that you are making some money off of them. If I didn't already have one of them exactly like it I would buy one.

Regards,

Ben

Here are some I used to make...

I REALLY like Your rotary burnisher!!

Good_Slicker_Group_22.jpg

Good_Bocote_slicker_22.jpg

Good_Texas_Ebony_Slickers_02.jpg

Good_COMMA_Slicker_22.jpg

post-7175-1236692170_thumb.jpg

post-7175-1236692188_thumb.jpg

post-7175-1236692214_thumb.jpg

post-7175-1236692245_thumb.jpg

PM HAS BEEN SENT

Scott

Is that email address your paypal account address? I wantto order one.

Dennis

Sorry for not making it clear, my paypal address is indeed scottconners (at.) gmail.com. To order you can just send the amount directly, or you can email/PM me your email address and I'll send you an invoice. If you need my mailing address to send a Check/M.O., just PM or email me and I'll send it to you.

Bearman - those are cool! I really like the curved ones, they are beautiful.

Scott

Scott

Is that email address your paypal account address? I wantto order one.

Dennis

Scott

Just paypaled you for one of the rotary burnishers.

Dennis

The rotary ones shouldn't turn any faster than 1750 RPM's right? 3500 would be too fast?

That's what I've heard, though I haven't tried high speed myself. You definitely risk burning the leather if it's spinning fast and/or you are pushing hard, but I imagine it will vary depending on the leather and what compound you are using to slick the edges as well. The diameter of the burnisher affects it as well, a larger burnisher will have a faster edge speed than a smaller burnisher for any given RPM.

The rotary ones shouldn't turn any faster than 1750 RPM's right? 3500 would be too fast?
Edited by DeuceTrinal

Oops! I had a small mishap today while turning, I dropped a burnisher while buffing and manged to break off the tip. I re-turned the tip, but instead of a long point for slots it now has a short tip for holes and slot edges. I tested it and it worked just fine on belt hole edges, it just won't do the inside of a slot or deep hole the way a long tip would. It also has a slightly shorter flat spot after the step from the re-turning, which shouldn't affect much at all. If it will still work for what you make, you can save some cash! $5 off, so $33 shipped for the stubby burnisher.

_DSC9516.jpg

post-7360-1236837613_thumb.jpg

How far does the metal center shaft extend into the round burnishers?

Karl

Scott,

I also paypaled you for a burnisher. Hope you get busier than heck.

Johnny Dingus

How far does the metal center shaft extend into the round burnishers?

Karl

The shaft extends 4" into the burnisher - almost all the way to the shoulder of the small point.

Hey Deuce the old style ones you used to make...has anyone tried them on stained glass for burnishing copper foil??

Do you still make those? I am thinking I would love to give one a try on my glass, it looks like it would feel great in your hand!

Marie

Johnny, got your payment, I should have it sent out to you by the end of the week.

Marie, I'm not exactly sure which burnisher you're referring to, but I can probably make whatever it is. I'll send you a PM to discuss it further.

Hey that second pic in your original post looks like the one you made for me! :D

Glad this is working out great for you Scott! I have tried using this tool on a drill, a bench grinder, and by hand, and the drill is working out the best because the grinder turns too fast, and hand power is too slow to do anything to the leather. My drill is operating at about 1250rpm which is still not fast enough so I am contemplating getting the Fantastic Leather Burnisher and adapting this tool to it... That will come later when funds are more available.

Thanks again Scott! Great tool!

Peter

Hey that second pic in your original post looks like the one you made for me! :D

Glad this is working out great for you Scott! I have tried using this tool on a drill, a bench grinder, and by hand, and the drill is working out the best because the grinder turns too fast, and hand power is too slow to do anything to the leather. My drill is operating at about 1250rpm which is still not fast enough so I am contemplating getting the Fantastic Leather Burnisher and adapting this tool to it... That will come later when funds are more available.

Thanks again Scott! Great tool!

Peter

Peter - that *just might* be the same one I made for you =D I'm glad it's working well for you! I appreciate the feedback on speeds, it's very useful to have that info. It's interesting how diameter affects speed of the burnisher, I could easily produce a burnisher that would work on a higher speed grinder by reducing the diameter of the tool. A 3/8" tool at 3450 rpm would have the same edge speed as a 3/4" tool at 1725. Using the smaller areas of my current burnisher might work on faster motors, or you could request smaller sizes and steps out near the end.

Scott,

I'm wondering how the shaft is fastened inside of the burnisher? Is a special kind of epoxy or glue used? Would the same fastening process work for securing loose bits in old leather handtools? Looks like you do a neat job. Thanks KJ

Scott,

I'm wondering how the shaft is fastened inside of the burnisher? Is a special kind of epoxy or glue used? Would the same fastening process work for securing loose bits in old leather handtools? Looks like you do a neat job. Thanks KJ

It's just epoxied in. A good epoxy joint is stronger than the wood itself, and should work just fine for loose tool handles as well. If the pieces can come apart, rough up the joining surfaces to increase the mechanical bond.

Thanks Scott, I just got mine in the mail and it is extremely nice work. thanks again, James