wildrose

use of little boxes/conchos

Here is a little thing I make to sell at craft fairs. I pick up the boxes for 1.00 at Michael's craft store, stain them with either wood or leather dyes (both work!), cut a little scrap of leather for the top, stain it, put on the concho and voila: 15.00 easy bucks. I could probably go higher, in fact have sold 'em for 20 before.

This time 'round, I began adding a little circle of leather on the back, between the concho post and the screw back. It causes a "pillowing" effect, which I find more attractive than the concho sticking out from the leather (being as the leather is thinner than the concho posts are for). I've also had my hubby knock off the posts and just glue the concho on. But I found this works pretty well. The second one - which I just glued and is still under the weight/press - I used smaller leather circles on the backing, as I found this first pillowed a bit too much/too close to the edges. Live and learn.

Anyhow, here it is:

blue_stone_concho_box_01.JPGblue_stone_concho_box_02.JPG

You also get a glimpse of how marked up my poundo board is...

post-5639-1237077599_thumb.jpg

post-5639-1237077611_thumb.jpg

Those are great, Holly. What you can do too, while you're at Michael's, get some self stick felt and line them. Takes it up a notch.

Great idea! I've lined them before, with a variety of materials, but usually don't when I'm cutting costs.

Thanks for sharing that idea, Holly. Seems like something that would sell well at craft fairs. Now, I guess I gotta drive to the Michael's store in Spokane!

Sometimes instead of a concho, I'll just stamp it with a cat or horse 3D stamp; those sell like hot cakes. I have several horse stamps and they never stay on the table very long.