UKRay

What makes a good show?

Every time I see another US leatherwork show on this forum I get envious of people who live close enough to attend. I want to do those classes, see all that great leatherwork and talk to all those interesting people too!

As there isn't much chance of me getting to the US anytime soon, I mentioned the feelings to one or two folk over here - they know who they are... We all agreed that running our own event was an idea worth exploring. A leatherworker's convention in the UK would certainly open people's eyes to what can be made from leather but how many people would be interested in attending and taking part?

What would they want to see and do?

I'm happy to do the donkey work and arrange the thing in a central UK location if there is enough interest - over to you guys. Any thoughts? Anyone want to help?

Ray

Every time I see another US leatherwork show on this forum I get envious of people who live close enough to attend. I want to do those classes, see all that great leatherwork and talk to all those interesting people too!

As there isn't much chance of me getting to the US anytime soon, I mentioned the feelings to one or two folk over here - they know who they are... We all agreed that running our own event was an idea worth exploring. A leatherworker's convention in the UK would certainly open people's eyes to what can be made from leather but how many people would be interested in attending and taking part?

What would they want to see and do?

I'm happy to do the donkey work and arrange the thing in a central UK location if there is enough interest - over to you guys. Any thoughts? Anyone want to help?

Ray

Dancing girls.

Tom

Steady, Tom. Have you missed your medication again? LOL

Dancing girls.

Tom

Edited by UKRay

A splendid thought, UKRay !

I´d like to see machinery, tools and classes and meeting people with mutual interests (and of course dancing girls!) . ;) Never been in England before so .. why not??

/ Knut

It seems like you would already have leather working shows in England considering you have at least two leather museums and the cordwainers college over there. Are you talking about doing a only "Western" leather show?

As far as I am aware, Kustom, we don't have any 'open' leatherworking shows in the UK. Certainly not on the scale that the US offers.

Personally I would like to see demonstrations from suppliers and craftpeople plus a range of competitions and exhibits. I'd like to see as many European leatherwork craftspeople and suppliers as possible attending the event and selling their wares and I would encourage the leatherworking museums and colleges to come along too.

I don't think it would be sensible to restrict the show to Western leatherwork although I would hope to see plenty on show. European cultural diversity offers so many styles of leatherworking and I'd like to encourage as many people as possible to attend and exhibit their work.

edit: Sorry guys, I meant to include Scandinavia too - 'cos I'd definitely like to see Knut and Tom Swede there too!

I'd like to get some feedback from the Brits - would any of you like to attend an event like this?

It seems like you would already have leather working shows in England considering you have at least two leather museums and the cordwainers college over there. Are you talking about doing a only "Western" leather show?
Edited by UKRay

Ray,

25 or so years ago an older saddlemaker, Sam Harris, and a retired bootmaker, whose name eludes me at the moment, thought it would be a great idea to have a place where boot and saddlemakers could gather and visit. They contacted a number of vendors who sold to these trades and had the first annual boot and saddlemakers round-up in Brownwood, Tx. It was a pretty small deal at first, but everybody enjoyed it so they decided to do it again the next year. Few more folks showed up and every year it continued to grow in vendors and attendants. Originally, there were no teaching classes or saddle contests. It was something we talked about for years and it developed out of all those conversations. They eventually became one of the highlights of the whole thing. It also became a place where you could bring your old tools and swap, trade or buy. It became too much for these 2 older guys so they handed it off to Eddie and Kathy Kimmel. They moved it to the colosium in Brownwood and filled the thing with leather companies, knife makers, machine companies and attendance grew. Eventually they moved it further north to Wichita Falls, Tx. where they could get a few more folks from further north and have an even larger facility with a lot of hotels. That's basically how it got started. It's one of my favorite places to go. Love to see old friends, make new ones, see equipment first hand, see new tools, etc. I'm sure you would love it. Somebody just needs to pick up the ball over there and give it a shot.

Google Boot and Saddlemaker Roundup and it will give contact info. Talk to Kathy and Eddie Kimmel. They are nice folks and I'm sure they could give you lots of pointers

Hope that helps,

Troy

P.S. No dancing girls. Wives dont like dancing girls. They wont let you go.

My halfpenny...

First things first...Get Vendor input,

Check with the manufacturers there to see if they might have interest in attending, i.e. Sedgwick, Adler/Pfaff, Cordwainers, toolmakers, you know the rest. Tell them of your preliminary plans. and see if they would be willing to do some level of sponsorship. You don't know what you have planned right yet, but they may offer some suggestions, and ballpark what they might be willing to spend on such a venture. The amount of money you may be able to garner is key to what type of event happens. On the low end, It maybe in a field somewhere, or if it grows out of control, a palatial auditorium/convention center, who knows....

Leatherworkers, Visitors and attendees can always be found through adverts, but the key is who will be there to show the trade aspect. From what I can tell, those from Europe are having a hard time finding the sources of suppliers and things there.`

Edited by rdb

That all sounds like excellent advice, guys. I'm putting together a list of folk that ought to be at an event like this and I'd appreciate your thoughts. Would any of the US vendors make the trip? At this point it is hard to see how they could make enough money to cover costs...

What sort of events are popular - I have never attended a show like this so I have no idea.

Sorry Tom - Troy says no dancing girls... Mind you, Knut seems pretty keen...

Personally I would like to see demonstrations from suppliers and craftpeople plus a range of competitions and exhibits. I'd like to see as many European leatherwork craftspeople and suppliers as possible attending the event and selling their wares and I would encourage the leatherworking museums and colleges to come along too.

I don't have lots of experience with shows so take this with a huge grain of salt, but the first question I think that needs to be decided is "Who is this show for?" Are you wanting the show to have as it's customers the leatherworkers, in which case you need the leather suppliers, etc. Or are you hoping to have it as a place to attract "regular people" (casting no aspersions on leatherworkers) to purchase leatherwork. I don't know if combining the two is a good idea. From what I have seen at Sheridan, (which is geared for leatherworkers as customers) when there has been a booth with finished product, it didn't do too well. The people who come to that show don't buy much stuff they can make themselves. On the other hand, if you have a lot of booths with leatherworkers selling their wares, they won't have time to check out the leather suppliers or machine companies. Just a thought here. Maybe it would work if it was big enough.

As far as I am aware, Kustom, we don't have any 'open' leatherworking shows in the UK. Certainly not on the scale that the US offers.

I don't think it would be sensible to restrict the show to Western leatherwork although I would hope to see plenty on show. European cultural diversity offers so many styles of leatherworking and I'd like to encourage as many people as possible to attend and exhibit their work.

edit: Sorry guys, I meant to include Scandinavia too - 'cos I'd definitely like to see Knut and Tom Swede there too!

I'd like to get some feedback from the Brits - would any of you like to attend an event like this?

It sounds like you could start something really cool.

I have attended many and set up at gun shows and custom knife shows, and have yet to make a leather show.IMO, I would set the show up for leatherworkers and the general public (customers and potential newbies).Companies could also setup booths for demos and sales.Seminars could also be held for those interested.This setup is similar to most custom knife shows, where table holders( makers) can sell thier products as well as attend seminars and buy supplies.

I would make sure you location had lodging and food/drink within walking distance, or hold it in a Motel/hotel complex.Having a local pub nearby will keep your table holders happy and they will have a place to meet and greet as well as sell and trade products.As far as table prices, I have seen them range from $60.00 to $1500.00, and I have been to shows ranging from 1 day to 4 days.I would suggest starting small then growing as you see the popularity grow.Advertise in the local papers and trade magazines.Good luck with your venture.Dave :cheers:

If you had a thing like a county fair, as a lot of counties in the US have during the summer, you may be able to rent a pavilion area and get the vendors and instructors to attend. A ready made crowd and by adding leather workers and industry vendors to it, the fair organizers would be happy. I think some of the well known names in leather have on occasion done classes overseas. Good luck, and I also think if you start small it will be manageable and grow each year.

They have lots of village fairs in England. You only have to watch a show called Midsomer Murders to see that!

Tony.

That all sounds like excellent advice, guys. I'm putting together a list of folk that ought to be at an event like this and I'd appreciate your thoughts. Would any of the US vendors make the trip? At this point it is hard to see how they could make enough money to cover costs...

What sort of events are popular - I have never attended a show like this so I have no idea.

Sorry Tom - Troy says no dancing girls... Mind you, Knut seems pretty keen...

Hello Ray,

I attend most of the leather shows as both an instructor and a vendor. I think it would be great to organze a leather show in England. I will be at the Tandy Leather Factory store in Northampton on May 1-3. If you have time to stop by, I would be glad to visit with you about what makes a good show from the perspective of a vendor, instructor, and an avid leather worker.

Jim Linnell

A splendid thought, UKRay !

I´d like to see machinery, tools and classes and meeting people with mutual interests (and of course dancing girls!) . ;) Never been in England before so .. why not??

/ Knut

Do we fly Ryanair or??

Thank you Ray, maybe you'll come back with us for a beer at your fav plave in Stockholm marina;-)

Tina is moving back to Sweden so maybe we can bring her too.

Hello Ray,

I attend most of the leather shows as both an instructor and a vendor. I think it would be great to organze a leather show in England. I will be at the Tandy Leather Factory store in Northampton on May 1-3. If you have time to stop by, I would be glad to visit with you about what makes a good show from the perspective of a vendor, instructor, and an avid leather worker.

Jim Linnell

I won't make it this May due to financial stress but I'll bring a feather for closer inspection if I ever catch up with you!!!

Would be nice to meet you all.

Ray, can we bring Luke over too;-?

Tom

I'm pleased that this idea has generally met with the board's approval. I have had a number of PMs and email from other members and after my chat earlier today with Karl (Badger) I think we can safely say this event is going to happen. Because of the time constraints - most of us are working - it can't be this year but almost certainly next. This does allow us time to plan and prepare something special.

Jim, I'll try to drop in to Tandy to see you as you suggest. Perhaps we could have a chat about getting you and Tandy involved?

Tom, Luke has already said he is coming to do a demonstration or two... Tina must come too.

Jordan, I like the idea of linking with another event - more about that later.

Dave, Everything you said has gone into the plan. Many thanks.

Ben, I'll drop Francis an email in due course. Thanks.

Denise, you make a very valid point and one we discussed at length earlier today. I think this needs more thought.

Finally, Tony - Midsomer Murders eh? You definitely need to get outdoors more!

I'm still keen to hear from more UK members about what they would like to see at a show of this kind. Unless we know what you want we can't provide it for you.

Thanks guys,

Ray

Next year??? I'll be there:-)

What a superb idea Ray :banana::banana::banana:

I say schedule it at The Tower.

Plenty of room, and the custodial staff is first rate from what I hear.

It's an easy to access location, plenty of parking, valets, etc.

Customers and vendors should be advised to lock valuables in their trunks because security is ho-hum.

Tools, tools, tools :clapping: and more tools! :specool:

Dancing girls.

Tom

Oops, that was supposed to say...You guys DON'T have dancing girls? This is what happens in front of my tent at a show. Included is a pic of me watching...the guy with the big grin.

Dag

IMG_0317.JPG

IMG_0315.JPG

post-5329-1237753479_thumb.jpg

post-5329-1237753692_thumb.jpg