badger

British United 'Pilot' Harness Stitcher

I have had the great good fortune of acquiring a lovely BUSM 'Pilot' harness stitcher and I need a manual for it.

Anybody have one or know where I can get one?

Cheers,

Karl

Yes, I'd like to know that as well!

Steve

Can we see a picture of this machine? I looked and looked, but cannot find one. Thanks!

Here you go.

Brilliant machine.

Cheers,

Karl

pilot01.jpg

pilot02.jpg

post-7577-1237824707_thumb.jpg

post-7577-1237824729_thumb.jpg

Thanks for the nice pictures! That's a stout looking machine! I'm sure it will serve you well!

It would serve me a lot better if I had a bloody manual for it :rofl:

Karl

Now don't you be unkind to that lovely machine, Karl. You promised you'd be nice to him... :rofl::rofl::rofl:

It would serve me a lot better if I had a bloody manual for it :rofl:

Karl

Edited by UKRay

I am being nice Ray, honestly.

I spent the day with him making him jump though hoops.

I found I can open the bobbin case, swing the bobbin out, remove and replace it and install and thread the new bobbin and the whole machine without any tools at all, just my chubby little sausage fingers. It became a kind of demented challenge.....

I also found out I can safely triple back stitch with it at the end of a run. If that isn't strong enough I don't know what is!

It's a remarkable machine.

I must publicly thank UKRay for letting me adopt his strange cast iron child :thumbsup:

Cheers,

Karl

I'm very pleased to hear you are both getting along so well. I have almost three times as much space to move around in my workroom now, though it won't be long before it fills up again... the new machine is even bigger!

IMHO, it could be even less time before his bobbin case rips the fingernail off your chubby little sausage fingers and you bleed on the nice clean leather... either that or you will sew both hands together... Biggles can be a tad spiteful if you don't give him enough respect.

If you get tired of him you can always bring him back.

Have fun!

I am being nice Ray, honestly.

I spent the day with him making him jump though hoops.

I found I can open the bobbin case, swing the bobbin out, remove and replace it and install and thread the new bobbin and the whole machine without any tools at all, just my chubby little sausage fingers. It became a kind of demented challenge.....

I also found out I can safely triple back stitch with it at the end of a run. If that isn't strong enough I don't know what is!

It's a remarkable machine.

I must publicly thank UKRay for letting me adopt his strange cast iron child :thumbsup:

Cheers,

Karl

I spent quite a bit of time surfing looking for a manual with know luck. One of us has to be able to come across one.

Karl i don't have a manual but I do have a page from an old BUSMC catalog on the pilot. give me your address and I will post you a copy. If you come accross a manual i would sure like to buy a photocopy from you. Greg

Try John Leighton at john@leightons.ca I bot a British United Shoe machine which is a wonderful saddle/harness machine from John. He is a machinist and has a special interest in these solid old machines. If anyone would have a manual John would.

Hey thanks,

I know John, but didn't even think to ask him!

Cheers,

Badger

Hi Badger

I know where there is one and I keep reminding the owner I want a copy. When I get it I'll let you know. Beaut Brutes aren't they. I've got mine running but want the Manual to tweak it.

Kindest Regards.

Jim Saddler.

I have had the great good fortune of acquiring a lovely BUSM 'Pilot' harness stitcher and I need a manual for it.

Anybody have one or know where I can get one?

Cheers,

Karl

HI Everyone,

I too would be interested in BUSM manuals for the A1, A2/No2, Pilot and Pearson 6..... not asking much am I???

I have print outs of an old catalogue showing some nice drawings of the different models, but no operators, parts or repair manuals. If there are any cast iron tables for these machines out there I would also love to hear about them.

Does anyone have any knowledge of the Singer 5-12 (made to stitch up the centre of belts, I think, has no bottom feed, just a walking foot and puller, though I dont have th e puller) I can only find two 5 class photos and my machine looks a little shorter and stubbier?? I was told it was a 5-12, but can only find Singer info up to 5-9. Also I have a Singer 47KSV10 which is I believe a sailmaker's zig zag machine with walking foot...... the special variation being that it (47K1) has been cut in half and a big hunk of steel girder bolted in the middle to extend it. I have never seen either of these machine before. Does anyone have any information on them?

Regards Steve

Hi Badger

I know where there is one and I keep reminding the owner I want a copy. When I get it I'll let you know. Beaut Brutes aren't they. I've got mine running but want the Manual to tweak it.

Kindest Regards.

Jim Saddler.

Hi All I now have the 4 main instruction pages from the Pilot Manual the full copy is yet to arrive but should do next week.

Email me and Ill forward what I have. By the way the manuals reputedly were only issued to BUSMC Head offices it seems hence the lack of availability. That way owners had to get the Company to affect repairs. Singer had a similar practice on some models (132K6 for instance). I also got one of these but mislaid it.

Kindest Regards.

Jim Saddler.

HI Everyone,

I too would be interested in BUSM manuals for the A1, A2/No2, Pilot and Pearson 6..... not asking much am I???

I have print outs of an old catalogue showing some nice drawings of the different models, but no operators, parts or repair manuals. If there are any cast iron tables for these machines out there I would also love to hear about them.

Does anyone have any knowledge of the Singer 5-12 (made to stitch up the centre of belts, I think, has no bottom feed, just a walking foot and puller, though I dont have th e puller) I can only find two 5 class photos and my machine looks a little shorter and stubbier?? I was told it was a 5-12, but can only find Singer info up to 5-9. Also I have a Singer 47KSV10 which is I believe a sailmaker's zig zag machine with walking foot...... the special variation being that it (47K1) has been cut in half and a big hunk of steel girder bolted in the middle to extend it. I have never seen either of these machine before. Does anyone have any information on them?

Regards Steve

Steve Bonnett has a copy at A$20 Email: stevebonnett@dodo.com.au

Can anyone show me how to thread this machine? Diagram etc.