oldgringo

tapaderos

this is not really a new topic. I started it several weeks ago and was having a lovely time getting information, maybe some patterns from some very kind gentlemen and conversing with new friends. That was just after Christmas. Then my son came home on leave from the Navy so I was busy being with him and then a big storm blew through and we lost power and water for three days etc. etc. So if anyone could tell me how to get back to the thread or do we have to start all over? Help?

OG

Was that You? Ha Ha

I was going to get back to it but glad i didn't because i would have been talking to the wrong person.

Yes it looks like we have to start over but I have to leave for work so let me get back to ya. I was wanting to clarify what type of tap you want to build. Not a name but a description. Later GHackett

I forget who, but one of our tallented guys here explained how he made his own pats for taps.

I was wanting you to clarify what you were calling 'eagle beak' taps.

The first was described as a long taper that drops almost directly under the stirrup. My pats that I would call eagle beak, the wide part of the downward taper closest to the stirrup, make a turn back and points to the rear rather than toward the ground.

Sorry we don't have the digi cam quite on line yet or I would post a pic of what I have.

GHackett

Hey oldgringo!

Before the big crash of '07, I had written to you that the June '07 issue of Shop Talk! had an article about taps which included design scale drawing by a couple of makers with several different designs. If you would like a Xerox of the article, send me a PM with your address, and I'll send it to you.

Mike

Boys! So glad to hear from you. Was about to post again on this topic but you boys stepped up. Many thanks.

Mr. Hidemechanic: Attached is a picture of the type of tap I am wanting to build.

Mike: I will send you my address via secret email. And let me say how much I appreciate this. I hope I am able to help you out sometime. If you ever break down in N. Calif. please call me for help. What was the crash of '07.

When I get these taps made I will for sure post them with credit to you guys. It will be some time though as we are starting to rotate cows around and such and the day work I do takes up what free time I have.

Thanks again.

tack05f.jpg

post-5415-1200542905_thumb.jpg

Boys! So glad to hear from you. Was about to post again on this topic but you boys stepped up. Many thanks.

Mr. Hidemechanic: Attached is a picture of the type of tap I am wanting to build.

Mike: I will send you my address via secret email. And let me say how much I appreciate this. I hope I am able to help you out sometime. If you ever break down in N. Calif. please call me for help. What was the crash of '07.

When I get these taps made I will for sure post them with credit to you guys. It will be some time though as we are starting to rotate cows around and such and the day work I do takes up what free time I have.

Thanks again.

Those are deeply carved! Very very nice.

oldgringo,

OK, I guess the "crash" was in '08. I had such bad withdrawls without the site, I forgot what year it was :comppunch:

Stuff should be in the mail today.

Mike

Don't give us the credit if you're doing the work.

Who's taps in the pic you posted, they look familiar?GH

Thanks again Mike!

You know Hidemechanic, I've looked and looked and I can't find that tap picture. so I don't know who made them.

Hey I'll be ordering a new tree in a couple of weeks. Where do you guys get yours. I'm thinking Timberline. My first three saddles were Timberlines - 1 Wade, 1 Bowman, and one Visalia 3B.

Timberline is good, you don't want to rush them. We've had issues cause from rushing but I've also had good success when dealing with special needs.Aaron and randy are great to deal with.

Bowden Brand makes good trees and has a web site. There are some other tree plants with out sites like Hurcules. I'll let others chime in on that. If you are just looking for stock trees these are a good way to go.

I would suggest however that you not poinch pennies. Order AAA trees. That is, rawhide over wood with rawhide lace and nails over staples but that may be in contensiion with others. Go top of the line anyway even for your pleasure saddles. If you are building for seroius ropers and buckaroos go for the laminated trees (350 to 500 dpollar range) There's one or two members here that can answer to that.Good luck. GH

Just as a friendly reminder. When we change a topic within a thread, it is easy to carry right on there and we all do it. Problem is that finding a discussion later or for new folks finding us, it is hard to look everywhere. If we could move the discussion on saddle tree suppliers over to the saddle section, we have a subtopic already on "saddle Supplies. Tools, and Trees". Anybody can feel free to add topics as they see fit. That is going to make this whole deal a lot more searchable, and less hassle on the upper echelon computer literate staff. I am going to learn how to move things, but want to wait to get the greenlight before I break the board. Thanks to all for the great discussions, and hopefully the old posts will be restored soon. Then the new folks can REALLY see where we have come from.

You are absolutely correct. Those Taps are buds. His eagle beaks are very distinctive.

Storm

old gringo, if you have yet to find a pattern for your taps, please let me know and I will see what I can dig up out of my leather crafters and saddlers journals. I know there is a pattern in there somewhere for that set. just keep in mind that you need to weight the tips on these otherwise the leather will curl up at the tips.