I just finished this one today. Thought you might like to take a look.

Mark

PVCFC_meating_006.JPG

post-9505-1237840095_thumb.jpg

Looks real good, Mark, nice and clean. Do you prefer to line with latigo?

Bob

Yes I think it turns sweat better or it seem to. This is the 5th one I have made like this. Thank you for the comments. What do you line yours with?

Mark

Most of mine are just doubled because that's the way they are ordered....but I like latigo too, as long as it's good latigo. I think it does a good job of repelling sweat, also. A local saddlemaker here uses a pre-finished pigskin when he lines his fenders. He found that it repelled sweat better than latigo and is using it a lot. I haven't tried that yet, but have seen it work on fenders....I was impressed!

Bob

Very nice, Mark. I like the contrast you got from using the latigo!

Bob,

What is his name? I have been told that on fenders and headstalls by two different saddlemakers.

Regards,

Ben

I have been using a veg tanned pig to line my back cinches , billets, martingales etc of 10 or 12 years now. i like the way it handles the sweat. Tennessee Tanning was the tanner but they quit doing it last year due to the fact it wasn't a big seller. I managed to buy a large quanity of it from them dirt cheap when i discovered they were discontinuing it. I also make some headstalls, slobber straps spur straps etc. out of it. On these I line them with regular strap leather just to increase the strength a little. It will case up and set stamp quite nice. Greg

Greg,

Well that's good to know that there are more saddlemakers that use the pigskin for the same reason.... Have you started to locate a new source for the pigskin?

Regards,

Ben

No i havn't Ben. I hope I enough hoarded to last me several years. Greg

P.S. give Luke and Vandy a call at Sheridan i know they got in on the close out and had some in stock.

Thanks Greg! I have a couple left myself. I will have to remember that fir when I ran out. I also use them a bunch for liners.

Regards,

Ben

I have been using a veg tanned pig to line my back cinches , billets, martingales etc of 10 or 12 years now. i like the way it handles the sweat. Tennessee Tanning was the tanner but they quit doing it last year due to the fact it wasn't a big seller. I managed to buy a large quanity of it from them dirt cheap when i discovered they were discontinuing it. I also make some headstalls, slobber straps spur straps etc. out of it. On these I line them with regular strap leather just to increase the strength a little. It will case up and set stamp quite nice. Greg

Greg

What is the weight on that pig hide? Always looking for something better. Sounds hard to find but worth it.

Thanks Mark

stuff i have is 8/9 oz. and 6/7 oz. If sheridan is sold out good luck finding any as tennessee tanning quit producing it a year ago. i pulled a Harwood and stocked up. Greg

stuff i have is 8/9 oz. and 6/7 oz. If sheridan is sold out good luck finding any as tennessee tanning quit producing it a year ago. i pulled a Harwood and stocked up. Greg

Greg, that's funny, You pulled a "Harwood" I guess we've entered a new phrase to the English language! For those that don't know Dale Harwood managed to stock up on some real nice Latigo leather and also some linen thread when the US manufactures were quitting production. I think he bought ALL of the final run on the latigo and has enough to last another 10 yrs or so. Dale has a few other things 'you can't get anymore' that help make his saddles unique.

Vaya Con Dios, Alan

Looks great! How did you cut it out?

Looks great! How did you cut it out?

I use a round knife on most of the things I make. For me I get a better cut in one pass. With other knives it seem that it takes a couple of passes that do not always match up. I say use what work for me.

Mark

Very nice work Mark thanks for posting.

Josh

First let me say that's a beaut of a headstall.

Second let me pose a question...I have found out here (GA) that headstalls with chicago screws for holding the bit are going out of style again, people seem to be going back to leather ties or even buckles ( personally I have always prefered buckles because I ride a lot of different horses and can change bits easier), so my question is are you seeing the same trend in your area? Are people moving away from chicago screws in their head stalls or is it just in my area?

I did notice about 10-12 yrs ago buckles and strings were more in style but they fell out of style and are now coming back. Do you folks with more experience than me see this pattern often?

David

Bob,

What is his name? I have been told that on fenders and headstalls by two different saddlemakers.

Regards,

Ben

His name is George Rios, Ben. About 10 or 12 years ago, Jill needed a new saddle to cowhorse in and she wanted me to tool it. ( I hadn't tooled anything in 20 years). So I went to George,( he rolled his eyes when I told him that I wanted to tool it) he built the saddle and I tooled it. When I picked it up he had lined the fenders with this pig skin that was pre-finished. It is a similar color to latigo...maybe 4/5 oz. and completely sacrificial. I've been really impressed at how well it repelled sweat. It's lighter weight than latigo, too.

Bob

Edited by hidepounder

First let me say that's a beaut of a headstall.

Second let me pose a question...I have found out here (GA) that headstalls with chicago screws for holding the bit are going out of style again, people seem to be going back to leather ties or even buckles ( personally I have always prefered buckles because I ride a lot of different horses and can change bits easier), so my question is are you seeing the same trend in your area? Are people moving away from chicago screws in their head stalls or is it just in my area?

I did notice about 10-12 yrs ago buckles and strings were more in style but they fell out of style and are now coming back. Do you folks with more experience than me see this pattern often?

David

Well David

Thanks for the comments.

As too your question on the chicago screws I have not seen any real trend here, but with that said, I don't make large numbers of them. I see all types of headstalls with all types of ways to attach even the quick change type (both in all leather and with a dee ring).I do mostly custom work so it's what the customer wants. This one went to GA for a drawing held at the Southeastern Buckaroo Association's Top Hand Cow Working Series. I use the chicago screws on my own headstalls but you have to put thread locker on them or they will come a part. If you change bits a lot I would use the buckles more also.

David do you see many headstalls with brass hardware in your neck of the woods?

Mark

Thanks Bob.

I have only seen one of his saddles and that was many years ago. Unfortunately I was not paying attention to the backside of the fenders to determine the type of leather. Thanks again.

Regards,

Ben

Mark- I don't normally see a lot of brass on tack at all in GA. However, I'm originally from KY and I see more brass up there than here. I think it's because of the humidity difference though because brass tends to corrode in GA much more than in KY. Stainless is king in GA in KY it's more evenly split.

david

That's a very nice headstall!

Question...

I like a liner because I do feel it repells the sweat and helps preserve the leather. I'm wanting to try my hand at making a headstall and I'd prefer it be a nice veg tan on top (so I can do a little bit of tooling) and lined with latigo. So what weight of veg tan and what weight of latigo would be best? I've tried looking at the lined headstalls that I own and use, but the edges have been burnished and it's hard to tell just how thick each type of leather is.

I saw some nice oily chap leather the other day and really liked the way it felt (kinda buttery), but wasn't sure if it was the proper weight for lining tack.

That's a very nice headstall!

Question...

I like a liner because I do feel it repells the sweat and helps preserve the leather. I'm wanting to try my hand at making a headstall and I'd prefer it be a nice veg tan on top (so I can do a little bit of tooling) and lined with latigo. So what weight of veg tan and what weight of latigo would be best? I've tried looking at the lined headstalls that I own and use, but the edges have been burnished and it's hard to tell just how thick each type of leather is.

I saw some nice oily chap leather the other day and really liked the way it felt (kinda buttery), but wasn't sure if it was the proper weight for lining tack.

Runningroan

I have been using 9/10 oz Hermann Oak strap and A alum burgundy latigo that is 4/6 oz. I like the feel of this combo it is soft and supple. There are no set in stone rule for the weight on a headstall. I have some hackamore horses that I hide with a hanger that is just latigo of 4/6 oz. I also ride some colts in the ring snaffle with doubled 12oz + harness leather. You will have to take a headstall you like and figure the thickness then find the combo of leather that will equals that as close as possible. IMHO you have to take it to account the type of headstall (show,work tooled, or plain.) The type of headgear that you will use on the headstall, snaffle, hackamore, or spade style bit. I hope that helps you a little.

Mark