ABC3

Air Brush

I am thinking about buying an "air brush" for final coat. (Maybe even Dyeing, down the road - although I dip at present). I am concerned about mess & cleaning up. I know you can find them from $15 to whatever. But what would a good "air brush" cost & where would you suggest starting to look.

More than that - would you even suggest going that route?

I have bubbles in my final coat, brown dye is not good at all & all in all, not a very professional product.

Just looking for a way to get better.

I am thinking about buying an "air brush" for final coat. (Maybe even Dyeing, down the road - although I dip at present). I am concerned about mess & cleaning up. I know you can find them from $15 to whatever. But what would a good "air brush" cost & where would you suggest starting to look.

I have bubbles in my final coat, brown dye is not good at all & all in all, not a very professional product.

I know there was a tutorial posted by Citizen Kate on Airbrushing a while back, I don't remember if she had any specific recommendations on brands of airbrushes, but I have met her and seen some of her work and it looks great! You can probably search and find the info and if you have any questions give her a PM. Hope this helps - Deb

There are several threads on the topic of using airbrushes for various purposes. Here's the one Deb mentioned. If I have time later on, I'll try to get back here and look up a few more that I know are there.

I have a cheap single-action sprayer that I originally bought to dabble in airbrushing. I quickly upgraded to a double-action airbrush for doing dye work, but I still use the single-action to spray on finishes with, and it works great for that. Mine is a Badger 250 (just to show you as an example of what I'm talking about), but any brand will work fine. Incidentally, Badger currently has some on sale for $12 on their garage sale page.

Kate

Deb & Kate;

Thanks for your help. I don't know if this is the way I want to go or not. I'm wondering if the mess & clean up would be worth it.

But I'll check out the site.

While it takes a little extra time for cleaning, the result of the airbrush is worth it. Especially if you are not putting out oodles and oodles of items. The projects you do build you do want to take the time to get it right. That is quality and craftsmanship that can be readily seen at the very beginning of your work. It shows you do take the time to get the details right to achieve the best result possible with the resources you have to work with.

I started using the $5.99 airbrush and compressor kit from Harbor Freight. Just recently I picked up a Badger 350 (IIRC) that is the name brand equivalent of the HF one.

Deb & Kate;

Thanks for your help. I don't know if this is the way I want to go or not. I'm wondering if the mess & clean up would be worth it.

But I'll check out the site.

Tom, go for it. I have the cheapest of cheap TESTOR plastic crappy air brush with a little plastic cup. I wouldn't waste time trying to do any detail work with it, but it sprays on the leather sheen perfectly. Cuts down the application time (thin coats dry very fast) and doesn't mess with my dye work! I use dyes like watercolor paints, so brushing or wiping finish usually smears color all over. All hail the airbrush!

Brent

Thanks Brent,

Which one would you get and what about a compressor. Will it spray Oil dyes as well.

I'm about talked into it. I just want to have a big mess in the shop.

Thanks Brent,

Which one would you get and what about a compressor. Will it spray Oil dyes as well.

I'm about talked into it. I just want to have a big mess in the shop.

You can buy cans of compressed air to plug into those things. They don't cost as much as an air compressor, but if you're going to do a lot of project with it, buying cans of compressed air will overtake the cost of a small air compressor in no time. I bought a few of the cans when I was dabbling. When I decided I was going to use it on all my projects, that's when I invested in the compressor.

I have a regular 125 psi, air compressor with a 3 gallon tank that I got at Sears on sale for about $75. It is a bit noisy, however, but since I use it out in my garage, it doesn't bother me. Some people prefer the quieter compressors that are specifically designed to use with air brushes. Those start around $200 or so.

Kate

this aircompressor below is a good choice...and don't believe you'll find it for less $$$$ anywhere else...i know a couple of us have this unit...except i bought mine from a specific airbrush supplier and paid about 50 bucks more :ranting2: ...you'll be good to go with this one ;0)

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/sto...54872_200354872

darryl :cheers:

Tom I to have been thinking about using a air brush but have the same questions you had. Now that we know it will work and give a much better finish we need someone to tell us how hard clean up is and how often you have to clean one. Can you just leave the leather sheen or what ever in it if you will be using it every day or two.

Thanks for asking !!!!

Mike

I just picked up an airbrush compressor off craigslist for $20. The guy had several of them and life has changed, he had children. He was moving and was getting rid of some stuff. He couldn't find his extra air brushes, but would call me and offer them to me for $20 bucks each. I told him that I was considering the one at habor freight for $14.99 and he said that he wouldn't buy anything from HF. I told him that I was starting out and was looking for something to practice with. He told me that the compressor will outlast any HF brush.

So far, I have $36 in a complete set up. I hope to study CitizenKate previous thread and tutorial and try it out. HobbyTom, go for it.

Greetings from Round Rock, Texas

Tom I to have been thinking about using a air brush but have the same questions you had. Now that we know it will work and give a much better finish we need someone to tell us how hard clean up is and how often you have to clean one. Can you just leave the leather sheen or what ever in it if you will be using it every day or two.

Thanks for asking !!!!

Mike

Ah, okay... that question still left unanswered...

When I used acrylic finishes (*shene or resolene) I poured the remaining finish back into the bottle, then rinsed the sprayer with warm water with every use. If I did not do this, the finish would dry up around the nozzle and clog it. If this happens, a very long rinse with warm water will clear it. But it's best to rinse the sprayer with every use when you use acrylic finishes.

With the wax finishes I use (mostly Bee-Natural, but I've also found the same true with others), I just leave the sprayer loaded with finish all the time, and rarely have to rinse it out between uses. Maybe once in 10 or 15 uses.

When using any dyes (spirit or water based), you will want to rinse it out after every use, and spray through water or solvent to clear the nozzle of any remaining color.

When considering whether this is worth the trouble, consider also how much time you spend cleaning your bristle brushes between jobs. I still use bristle brushes for various applications, but using a sprayer whenever possible, overall, has been a huge time-saver for me.

Kate

Thanks folks that's what I was after!!!!

Mike

Everyone has been talking about airbrushes and compressors....DONT FORGET THE SPRAY BOOTH . You need to vent those fumes somewhere. If you have a small shop like mine, the fumes from spirit dye will fill your house. You really need to get rid of those fumes. The water based dyes are even more dangerous. Your body will eventually purge the denatured alcohol but the overspray from acrylic paints and dyes can and will stick with you forever. SO either invest in a small spray booth or count on spraying outside. And wear a mask!!!

Dave Theobald

Kate,

I think I will take eveyones suggestion & put an "air brush" system together. One of the forum membors suggested a compressor from Northern Tool ($99.99 # 1202S152) & I hope this one is not loud. When you have time would you PM me as to what items I will need for a complete system. Maybe even some suggestion regarding the paint booth which I will try to make. I can vent it outside - will I need a small fan?

Thanks so much for your help.

something nobody has mentioned is what about an air tank with a quick change coupling and a filter dryer. just hit the gas station and tank it up. Years ago (B.K. - before kids), when I used to build models, I got a couple old freon tanks and put a couple air tank adaptors on them and used them as an air supply for air brushing. Why couldnt you do the same thing with an automotvie air tank for inflating tires. Throw em in your vehicle and hit a gas station (especially if any still have free air) and tank up. We also used to use em as a portable air source for tires, blowing out bug lights, etc. When using any air source you want a dryer at least to filter out any moisture from the line before it gets to the brush.

Kate,

I think I will take eveyones suggestion & put an "air brush" system together. One of the forum membors suggested a compressor from Northern Tool ($99.99 # 1202S152) & I hope this one is not loud. When you have time would you PM me as to what items I will need for a complete system. Maybe even some suggestion regarding the paint booth which I will try to make. I can vent it outside - will I need a small fan?

Sorry for not noticing this until today... The compressor accessories I use with my air brushes are the following:

- Long compressor hose (to allow placing it some distance away from where I'm spraying - safety recommendation from the manufacturer)

- Moisture filter, to prevent condensation from getting into the hose and eventually onto your work (that has a way of ruining your day). It looks like the NT compressor you're considering comes with a moisture filter, so you might want to confirm that before buying a separate one.

- I have quick-change couplers, but that's so I can also use my compressor to inflate tires, and run other air-powered tools that I have. If you only plan to use the compressor with your air brush, you probably won't get much benefit from them.

- I'm not sure what is included with the brush you plan to buy, but you will probably need to get an airbrush hose to attach to your compressor hose. The airbrush hose usually comes with an adapter to connect the two hoses together.

As for the spray booth, I've got a home-built one. Several people here have built their own, and one existing topic includes information on that. I've been working on putting together some more complete information about that, and plan to post it sometime in the (hopefully near) future.

http://leatherworker.net/forum/index.php?s...ray+booth\

That should get you started. Have I overlooked anything else, guys?

Kate

Thanks Kate,

That does help. I have one of the red pancake compressors from Home Depot (but it is sure loud) and I notice that when I unscrew the valve on the bottom, water comes out. So I'm guessing purchasing another would be a good idea.

So the complete system would include: Air brush w/hose, compressor w/ hose, a moistutre filter (if not included) & a point booth.

What size of paint container would you suggest. Will be using it for dyeing & final coat on small items (holsters, belts, ect)

What size of paint container would you suggest. Will be using it for dyeing & final coat on small items (holsters, belts, ect)

2 oz. color cups should be fine for smaller projects. I use that size to spray finishes on my 24"x24" game boards, and 2 oz. is just about the amount that takes. If you're doing dyes with it, get several, so you don't have to be constantly filling and emptying them with different dye colors.

Kate

If possable, stay away from the airbrushes with the needle that runs down the middle of the body, They tend to damage more and are more complicated. I've used the Aztec, sold in the U.S. by testors for years, It is the double action model polimer body, and isn't the $15 plastic one. It is the easiest to clean, and most user friendly design I've used for general purspose. It isn't neccesarly a graphic art airbrush, and I havn't pushed it in that direction, but I have gotten some good results in detail work.

As for moisture, after running your compressor (provided it is the type with a tank or resovoir) you should open the petcock (the dozzle on the bottom) to drain any moisture that has condensed in the tank, to minimize the tank rusting out.

I've never had any experience with the diaphram type airbrush compressors, I've always used a compressor with a tank and regulator.

Kate,

Tom,

the compressor mentioned from northern tool is the one I have and it's a hundred times quieter than the pancake compressor from home depot (i have that one too)...plus the compressor comes with a regulator and a water separator (two very important items in regards to an airbrush). you won't be disappointed. Also about the diaphram type compressors, they pulsate and tend to 'spit' the dye out...'tis better to have a small tank that can hold a small supply of air that can give smoother finishes.

M.

Edited by Rawhide

...'tis better to have a small tank that can hold a small supply of air that can give smoother finishes.

He speaketh words of wisdom.

Kate

As a disclaimer, I did not read this whole thread, but being a painter I'd like to throw some stuff out there...I have used most of the airbrushes out there,

some are cheap and great, some are expensive and...well...suck...whichever brush you wind up with, (I'm assuming most leather work is done with dye

as opposed to heavy pigment) the single most important thing to do is to Keep it Clean! if you think your airbrush is clean enough...it's not.

99% of all airbrush malfunctions are caused by gunk in the works...I'll try over the next X weeks to do a cleaning tutorial...I've got one sitting at home that I let get dirty...

Anyway...I pretty much never recommend buying the HF or Northern tools kncok offs...with the exception of the Pasche brushes..T-shirt guys love them and

dyes go through them like grass through a goose. The problem with them is that they are hard to clean and the seals go bad pretty quick.

My personal brushes, are anything made by IWATA...they make brushes for everyone...from 100 bucks or so on up into the 1000$ range...I would imagine that for leather work the HP-C or the revolution would be more brush than you could ever use. I have done some nice looking show quality paint jobs with both of these...they both have excellent actions and are well weighted and balanced..helps keep down fatigue when spraying for awhile...

Badger makes a good airbrush..although I tend to leave mine on the shelf as the Iwata is my favorite...any of Badger's dual action brushes are

good to go though.

I have Used GREX brushes...and liked them..but the company has not been around very long.

I have not used SATA airbrushes, but I have a deep and abiding love affair with their sparay guns...so I'd imagine their airbrushes are more than acceptable.

Asfar as compressors...take your pick...as long as it puts out steady pressure without pulsing and keeps the oil out of the air...it's good to go..I actually use a big Craftsman compressor at home, and if I go mobile, I use a hundred dollar pancake compressor...and long hoses to keep the noisy littel bugger away from me. get a good regulator, and A GOOD MOISTURE TRAP ! drops of water in paint or dye are no fun...especially something you have worked hours and hours on...

For some basic and advanced knowledge.. Mike Learn at www.Learnairbrush.com is the guy I've learned most from...although his stuff is geared more to automotive..there is still a wealth of knowledge available on the forums there.

oh...you will outgrow a single action airbrush in minutes. Double action is the way to go for most stuff.

Hope all this helps someone out a little...if I can help, drop me a pm and I'll do what I can!