I am putting together a list of popular moulds to order. So I dont double order models are there some guns as in Glocks and or maybe others that would be exactly the same size and shape as another model for holster moulding? Short of going to a gun store with a pad and paper im not sure where to look.

Thanks

Eric

Were are you geting the molds.

Josh

Rings manufacuring maybe? But looking around their site dosent look like they have much of a selection....at least not as broad as I expected. Any other ideas on sources?

ebarber...

Try http://www.copsplus.com/ringsblueguns.php for a pretty broad selection of RIng's Blue Guns. They have the most extensive list of various different models that I have seen from one dealer.

As for gun models that can do double duty.... I have a Ring's gun for a Taurus model 85 5 shot revolver that I use to make holsters for J-frame Smiths, Charter arms 5 shots as well as the Taurus, with no problems. I also have a Ring's Glock 17, Glock 19 and Glock 26 and use them to make holsters for all 3 of those frame sizes, irregardless of caliber (9mm/.357 Sig/.40 S&W/.45 GAP). I also have a Sig P220R Ring's gun and have used it to make holsters for the P220 and the P226. The Beretta 92 series Ring's gun could be used for the Taurus 92/100/101 series as well, as they are basically copies of the Beretta.

I hope this helps shed some light on your question.

I have 7-8 various Ring's guns for the models of holsters that I am most frequently making, but because of the ability to use one Ring gun for several guns of the same frame size, I could potentially make holsters for about 20 different guns using those 7-8 Ring's guns.

Good luck,

-Tac

I have "dummy guns" from Rings, ASP, and Duncan.

Rings blue guns and ASP red guns (intended for law enforcement training) are cast polymer material. Both are very good.

Duncan makes cast aluminum dummies. Details are not as sharp and there can be some rough areas to the casting, but usable for the purpose.

Prices for any are in the same range, about $38 to $45 each. Basically, one holster order will pay for the forming piece, so when I receive an inquiry for a holster to fit one that I don't have (but can get) I go ahead and buy it.

Each company has its own selection of models available. Rings and ASP seem to concentrate on the later models of popular handguns. Duncan has molds for many of the older models and lower production pieces. Duncan will also produce to order, with a minimum order requirement for set up, etc.

As noted, one forming piece can make several different models. 1911 Colt Government 5" will form for Commander 4.25", Officer 3.5", Defender 3", and also for copies/clones by Kimber, Springfield, etc. Glock 17/22 will form for the 19, 23, etc. Springfield's XD and S&W M&P autos each have multiple barrel/slide lengths available and each can be formed on the full-size versions of the respective piece. This applies only to open-bottom holsters, of course.

Stop by the book store, or go on-line and order a copy of "Modern Guns" or comparable illustrated books on available makes and models, this will help you determine what will work with what.

Gun store owners can be helpful with information on most popular handguns being purchased in your area.

There is a niche market out there for some of the older, out of production handgun models. Major manufacturers gear their production to items in demand, so after a period of no production of a handgun that will result in the model no longer being offered by the major holster makers. Example: S&W Model 39 pistol (several million produced from the 1950's until about 1980), last year I had 3 customers wanting holsters for their M-39's, no dummy guns available, so I located and purchased a used pistol for $320, since then that pistol has paid for itself several times with other orders, and it is useful for forming the 3913, 3914, 3953, and CS9 models still in production.

Since then I have added several more out of production handguns. What the heck, a guy can't have too many guns, can he? Can't think of another business where the cost of adding to your collection is actually tax deductible!

Hope this helps.

The most common pistols I make orders for:

1911's of various bbl lengths with a C&L safety - Get a Colt cast if possible, as some of the other 1911 manufacturers have oversized dust covers that will cause you problems. Ultimately shoot for 5", 4 1/4", 4", 3 1/2", and 3" bbl lengths.

Glocks of all variants (the semi compacts being the most common) - Cross-compatibility being 17/22/31, 19/23/32, 26/27, 29/30/30SF, 20/21/21SF, 34/35, and by their selves 21SF-P, 36, 37, 38, and 39.

Smith and Wesson M&P Series - The 9 and 40 models will be the same size in their various configurations. The 45 will be in a class by itself. If you can, get dummy guns with a frame mounted safety in the up position whenever it is offered, as this will work with the non safety models as well. There are various bbl length versions of these pistols, but the most common sizes for orders to me has been the full size and Compact 9 or 40.

Springfield XD and XDM Series - Cross compatibility being XD9/40/357, XD9c/40c, XD45/45c, XD9/40 Tactical, and the XD45 Tactical. The XDM 9 and 40 models are compatible as well.

You should be able to buy straight from Rings if you sell holsters professionally(get the models without paint on them). I also have a few dummy guns I have extras of, or I am going to sell. Shoot me a PM if your interested.

Eric,

I too have be shopping around for the best price & found the following:

Roper Supplies

1-228-832-8889

Windy

$34

I just go in a Glock 17 & a 1911 Gov. She did not have them in stock but Ring dropped ship to me.

Good luck.

Thanks everyone for you help.

Lobo very good information that helps alot!

I have "dummy guns" from Rings, ASP, and Duncan.

Rings blue guns and ASP red guns (intended for law enforcement training) are cast polymer material. Both are very good.

Duncan makes cast aluminum dummies. Details are not as sharp and there can be some rough areas to the casting, but usable for the purpose.

............where the cost of adding to your collection is actually tax deductible!

Hope this helps.

I am putting together a list of popular moulds to order. So I dont double order models are there some guns as in Glocks and or maybe others that would be exactly the same size and shape as another model for holster moulding? Short of going to a gun store with a pad and paper im not sure where to look.

Thanks

Eric

Good suggestion because I like doing holsters and it would be good to have a master list of guns that are basiclly the same to avoid buying alot of molds that you really don't need. If you like me I am not a gun expert.

Somebody should make one of these threads a sticky, it keeps coming up

The problem is, the compatibility list is somewhat subjective. One of us might think a S&W 910 fits fine in a 59 series holster, while another might contest that because we believe it doesn't fit properly. A lot of it depends on how you build and design your holsters. I use separate molds for the 5", 4 1/4", and 4" 1911 models. It looks like Lobo uses the same thing for all of them. I know of some makers that even use a 1911 mold for Browning Hi Power holsters, and that just plain drives me crazy. The Glock, XD, and M&P cross compatibilities are fairly obvious, but several other types are up for debate.

*sigh*

Nothing ever seems simple when it comes to holster making...

Yeah, Jeff has a point about makers using different guns for different holsters, even though the models are pretty similar.

For example, I use two 5" 1911s, one Colt and one Springfield (dust cover length/widths different), 4.25" and 3". I need to get a 4" and 3.5" - I want my patterns as exact as possible. The 1911 for a BHP is one I won't do either. A BHP deserves a BHP mold.

Get Glock molds, those go well.

A J-frame is a popular revolver model.

Also look to pocket pistols, I've yet to grab any molds for them but I get requests.

One thing you'll learn as you try to build the same patterns for different brands of gun is that you'll have to adjust each pattern, not just the stitching, but the shapes/cuts so that they compliment the style of the gun. Leather that looks classic molded to a 1911 doesn't make the XD look classic. It's like you're also matching a personality to the pattern. I find it interesting anyway. Maybe I'm already going crazy.

I am a dealer for rings, blackhawk(their training guns are a bit cheaper) asp, and several other comapnies. If enough people are interested, we could try to set up a group buy(if thats allowed here)

Snakebyte,

Put me on your list for a Group Buy.

I am a dealer for rings, blackhawk(their training guns are a bit cheaper) asp, and several other comapnies. If enough people are interested, we could try to set up a group buy(if thats allowed here)

I never got your list to place a order a while back. Do have the list for availability?

I'd be interested in a couple blue guns.

Bronson

I would have been but I got back in here to late. Ill look you up when I need some more. Thanks!

I ended up ordering an fsg19 which is a 19/23/32, fsg26 which is a 26/27/33, fsg36, fsj which is a j frame s&w and a 1911 commander. Suppose to have them this week. Hopefully!

Put me on the list

Josh

[/quote

I have 4 of the Blackhawk guns, they seem to work well.

Add my name to the list

Scott

Earlier in this post I mentioned a company Botach but now I am rethinking this company. I ordered one blue gun from them on 3/26 and they have not filled the order yet. Not too happy with the service. I emailed them and they responded that they would look to see what happened but they have yet to let me know.

I've ordered from Cops Plus. Fast & friendly w/a price match. It's the uncommon guns I'm having a hard time with.

It's the uncommon guns I'm having a hard time with.

Which ones?